• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

String cost rant.

MattMan81

SH Member
Wow. I know the cost of everything has gone up. But weird bow sting costs have jumped as well.
Or at least as much as they have. 140+ for a set of new strings. Has the material honestly increased or is this supply demand for guys wanting the lastest and greatest stings for there bow. I didn't mind spending a few dollars more for custom specific strings. But honestly I am asking my self if the extra money is worth it. I just want them to work and don't care if it gets me an extra 2fps. I was gonna try to stay with replacing my strings every 2 years. But think I may go another year. I don't shoot a lot. So I'm sure they are fine. Anyone have insight to material costs? Or is it just reflective of labor costs.
Guess not a rant. Just a what's going on.

$140 out the door including shop costs, or just $140 for the string? I’ve been paying about $120 since 2013 when I first replaced my string. Since, I’ve had 4 others I think. I used to replace every two years, but I’m an arrow-a-day guy lately so it’s like, every 3-4 years. I’ll be looking for a new one this year, and I’m probably going to buy the most expensive string I can because of that. $140 is high but also proportional if I was paying close to that over ten years ago.
Lancaster used to charge me about $120 out the door for their in-house strings and I have to say they were every bit as durable and quick to break in as the Winner’s Choice and ABB strings I had before that. I’ll probably set $150 aside for the whole experience if you’re telling me $140, and hope I can find something for less without holding my breath.

$140 out the door including shop costs, or just $140 for the string? I’ve been paying about $120 since 2013 when I first replaced my string. Since, I’ve had 4 others I think. I used to replace every two years, but I’m an arrow-a-day guy lately so it’s like, every 3-4 years. I’ll be looking for a new one this year, and I’m probably going to buy the most expensive string I can because of that. $140 is high but also proportional if I was paying close to that over ten years ago.
Lancaster used to charge me about $120 out the door for their in-house strings and I have to say they were every bit as durable and quick to break in as the Winner’s Choice and ABB strings I had before that. I’ll probably set $150 aside for the whole experience if you’re telling me $140, and hope I can find something for less without holding my breath.
I paid $120 for catfish strings 2 years ago. Bloodline VEC99. I looked today and they are 140. I glanced at a few others and looks like 140-150 is the going rate for high end strings it seems.

Shop by me was $140 for standard or $175 for custom choose your color type thing when I checked in last year. New to me now bow doesn’t have enough shots on it for me to worry about it until after next season so that’s what we call a problem for future me. Every now and then I worry about that dude!

$90-$140 is what I paid for years. This set I have now I built and it cost me much less than that but considering the time it took me (I’ve built my recurve strings for years this was my first finished compound string and cable set, done and satisfied on 4th try) this will be the last set I do, I’ll gladly pay $140 for someone else to do it.

$90-$140 is what I paid for years. This set I have now I built and it cost me much less than that but considering the time it took me (I’ve built my recurve strings for years this was my first finished compound string and cable set, done and satisfied on 4th try) this will be the last set I do, I’ll gladly pay $140 for someone else to do it.
Just curious. Did you buy the stuff to do it? Or used your recurve stuff you had?

I paid 149 for 60x strings and cables. That wasn’t what shocked me, although it was expensive, it was the 75 it cost to get them put on. Could be a fair price, just shocked me.

Feel like we get in a bit of a mental loop, or I do anyway, of what I buy to save money in the long term vs what I can do myself and how long it takes to offset the cost and do enjoy doing it.

For instance I spent quite a bit on custom arrows early on. Now I build my own (using build generously, not like I’m a trad guy cutting down the old hickory in the back 40). It cost me far less money but i had to buy several things to do it. I like listening to a Waylon Jennings record on old speakers while I do a bit a day though, maybe that’s the savings too, peace.

I’ve looked at a bow press several times, it just makes no sense for me. Not saying I won’t buy one but I’ll never recoup the cost and I wouldn’t trust myself like I trust the shop I have to do serious work anyway. I’d have fun, I’d spend money buying strings and replacing them and messing with this and that, it would be silly. So if I very arguable spend too much on strings every couple years that’s ok with me, rising costs included.

I’d spend money buying strings and replacing them and messing with this and that, it would be silly. So if I very arguable spend too much on strings every couple years that’s ok with me, rising costs included.

I debated a press for a bit before I got one, worth it in my case as as I stated above building my own isn’t in the cards for me so I’ve deduced buying my strings and cable and installing them myself is a breeze, I only did this bc the bow shop that used to install for free shut down, no it wasn’t bc they did free string installs lol and also in order to recoup a bit of money couple of my buddies have donated deer meat and or dollars to the cause for string changes and small workings on their bows, so ultimately the press has been working for me.

I debated a press for a bit before I got one, worth it in my case as as I stated above building my own isn’t in the cards for me so I’ve deduced buying my strings and cable and installing them myself is a breeze, I only did this bc the bow shop that used to install for free shut down, no it wasn’t bc they did free string installs lol and also in order to recoup a bit of money couple of my buddies have donated deer meat and or dollars to the cause for string changes and small workings on their bows, so ultimately the press has been working for me.
Wasn’t meant to be a dig a you and hopefully not taken that way. Based on some of your posts it also seems you may live somewhere between if rains you’ll want 4 wheel drive and ain’t a Walmart for 53 miles so self sufficiency is valued for you. Apocalypse wise.

Feel like we get in a bit of a mental loop, or I do anyway, of what I buy to save money in the long term vs what I can do myself and how long it takes to offset the cost and do enjoy doing it.

For instance I spent quite a bit on custom arrows early on. Now I build my own (using build generously, not like I’m a trad guy cutting down the old hickory in the back 40). It cost me far less money but i had to buy several things to do it. I like listening to a Waylon Jennings record on old speakers while I do a bit a day though, maybe that’s the savings too, peace.

I’ve looked at a bow press several times, it just makes no sense for me. Not saying I won’t buy one but I’ll never recoup the cost and I wouldn’t trust myself like I trust the shop I have to do serious work anyway. I’d have fun, I’d spend money buying strings and replacing them and messing with this and that, it would be silly. So if I very arguable spend too much on strings every couple years that’s ok with me, rising costs included.
In trying to save money it can be a trap easy to fall into off I am doing it my self, plus this web site. Like you said with arrows. Start making your own, and now your on your 4 re fletch to find that just right arrow. Or tweaking your bow to get it just right. Mean while your time and money has far exceeded the guy who got a dozen ready to hunt and is dialing in his sights or had a guy set up his bow while you could be re fletching again because you want sabers in stead of blazers. Or maybe just a little twist here or there.
And now you got 400 vanes in a bin you'll never use.
Saving money on diy doesn't always seem to save you money.

Wasn’t meant to be a dig a you and hopefully not taken that way. Based on some of your posts it also seems you may live somewhere between if rains you’ll want 4 wheel drive and ain’t a Walmart for 53 miles so self sufficiency is valued for you. Apocalypse wise.

Definitely not taken that way lol I was just giving a different perspective about having a press if you were ever debating getting one. Yeah I do what I can, waiting for the boys all to get old enough for extra hands lol luckily between the 5 they all love at least one of my hobbies

Back