• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform decisions - bigfoots chime in please

After looking over all of these and watching videos and reading reviews, I'm leaning heavily towards the EDP, with a possible side nod to the Onyx. I can see how the extra width on the onyx could help with getting around the tree, but not sure if I would need that if I'm one sticking up with my EWO and planned to mount the EDP or whatever I end up with at 90 degrees to the UP on my stick.

BT

There are Pros and cons w/ all of them. For the reasons you stated is why I went w/ the Ambush. It's big, light, folds really nice. However on REALLY big trees it does not like side pressure. It's just fine on 10-15" trees. I added a 2nd strap to it in the backyard. I got that thing really tight so it wouldn't kick out. Bounced on it and snapped the strap. Buckle cut it right at the teeth. I changed to Resc Tech rope and swabisch hitch. A lot stronger than a buckle strap. I'm gonna play around w/ a RR XL. I think I can modify it and make it work on big trees.

No need to modify a RRXL for big trees.

I am 6'1", weigh 215, and wear a size 13 boot. I love the full size seeker with the angled front. Although I have never taken a shot at a deer out of it with my back to the tree, I often practice the shot and it is very doable. I just spin on the seeker and place my back to the tree, and run my tether over my shoulder and tighten it to hold me solid. I don't do this a lot but enough to feel comfortable with it. I find that I have plenty of real estate with the seeker.

I climb with one stick and rappel. I do position my one stick at a similar height so that I can shoot most angles while facing the tree to avoid all the movement associated with turning and placing my back to the tree.

On the line of using the mission on a one stick, I found this video of a dude doing the same thing with the EDP.

BT

Honestly, if you keep the dimensions of the posts the same you can use any platform you want.

Yeah I was looking at that one the other day. Seems like a great idea, but over $400 to build one out. Ouch.

BT

It runs with the market. Costs $384 for an Eastern Woods Outdoors Ultimate One stick w/ Ultimate lower step, black anodized, with three step aider. There are cheaper options too, but they don’t have precision machined platforms.

It runs with the market. Costs $384 for an Eastern Woods Outdoors Ultimate One stick w/ Ultimate lower step, black anodized, with three step aider. There are cheaper options too, but they don’t have precision machined platforms.

Ahhh. I pieced my EWO Ultimate stick together instead of ordering their built version. Never tracked what I spent towards it. I'm probably around there I assume. I started with just adding a harken to my XOP X2 stick. Then decided to go with their UP so added their bottom step, and standoff. Then decided to swap the stick for their featherstick. Lol. So I essentially have their Ultimate One Stick, but like Johnny Cash, I built it one piece at a time. It just cost me well over a dime haha.

BT

Back