• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Deer bacon recipe?

anybody have a tried and true recipe? would like to try.

TIA!
Only done it with pork, never with deer. I’m curious now.
I have a scratch recipe I like, hafta locate it.
I have also used the Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure and it’s outstanding. Followed their directions to the absolute T and cold-smoked it over Apple, cherry, and I’ve even done chestnut which is a phenomenal wood for pork and venison alike. Used it on pork belly, Boston butt, and I even turned some lean chops annd a beef chuck roast into bacon with it because I had some extra.
I’ll see if I can locate that scratch recipe though…

Only done it with pork, never with deer. I’m curious now.
I have a scratch recipe I like, hafta locate it.
I have also used the Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure and it’s outstanding. Followed their directions to the absolute T and cold-smoked it over Apple, cherry, and I’ve even done chestnut which is a phenomenal wood for pork and venison alike. Used it on pork belly, Boston butt, and I even turned some lean chops annd a beef chuck roast into bacon with it because I had some extra.
I’ll see if I can locate that scratch recipe though…

a known good seasoning mix would be better than a poke in the eye, but would rather roll my own.

i dont think 50/50 deer/butt would change the flavor that much instead of 100% butt. dont think i want to do 80/20 deer/fatback on a large batch wo someone saying they have tried and loved. maybe try a pound and see?

thanks for looking

to be more specific, i'm talking about the ground meat version of "bacon". grind, add seasonings, grind, mold, refrigerate, smoke, slice

to be more specific, i'm talking about the ground meat version of "bacon". grind, add seasonings, grind, mold, refrigerate, smoke, slice
Shouldn’t change much aside from ground meat being harder to rinse. Dunno how it’ll affect the perceivable saltiness if you “can’t” rinse the cure off but I know that step is critical on a slab of meat. Maybe less seasoning overall and no rinse?

I have no recipe. But the processor I use makes it. I usually get some. My guess it has corn meal to help pack it all together I think. Did you browse the tube? I know I saw somewhere there was someone making it or a recipe.

I have no recipe. But the processor I use makes it. I usually get some. My guess it has corn meal to help pack it all together I think. Did you browse the tube? I know I saw somewhere there was someone making it or a recipe.

tons of vids on the tube. all that i found use a premade kit that they would be happy to sell you. bearded butcher, ps seasonings, hi mountain, etc.

there are some recipes on da web, but no one i follow. may resort to a kit, but i'd rather have my own.

thanks!

tons of vids on the tube. all that i found use a premade kit that they would be happy to sell you. bearded butcher, ps seasonings, hi mountain, etc.
This is a problem for learning how to BBQ too.
Then you figure out that salt, pepper, and smoke are all you need for the first long time. Get creative later.
I think a similar concept applies with curing, except the cure ratio itself is pretty important compared to just learning how to apply seasoning and temperature, etc.

this one looks interesting. anyone ever try any recipes from fox valley? i have the ingredients. may try a 2.5# test run

704b1ba03a827be5b4c2c3bda67415af.jpg

1st attempt. Maple recipe above. Of course added extra maple.

I made some of this ground venison bacon this year. First time ever for me. LOVE IT. I used the seasoning mix from Curley's sausage. It is excellent!

Back