• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Anybody ever climb just to climb?

A lot of my hunts seem that way, lol. In all seriousness I do like climbing Drt and have done some of that recreationally in my yard. I'd love for it to be more applicable to my hunting areas, but our trees just are not conducive to it. As a kid, I climbed every tree I could get my hands on. I would go so far up into those huge magnolia trees that the trunk would start doubling over.

Only to practice a new setup or practice shooting from a saddle at height

Climbing the way I do just isn’t fun (12 strap on steps) and I’ve sat in trees enough that it’s just one of those things

Last edited:
I climbed a walnut way high once in my saddle. Had my wife pull my bottom stick off so I could pull it up to use 5 32" sticks essentially then my platform. Then pulled my Stihl up to cut a big dead branch off I couldn't reach any other way. Needed to put a pole barn next to it and didn't want the branch to hit my barn.

Being at height doesn't scare me. But running a chainsaw only being connected with a rope that's very cuttable was a little nerve-wracking.

If it wasn't a walnut I woulda cut it down. Walnuts like brown gold for woodworking and I'm going to let that beauty grow. Until I get a little older, or I move. If I move all my walnuts are getting cut down first for woodworking

Only to practice a new setup or practice shooting from a saddle at height

Climbing the way I do just isn’t fun (12 strap on steps) and I’ve sat in trees enough that it’s just one of those things
Y'all it may be time for an intervention.

You cant be Batman having to stop every 9 inches to pull a step off the tree and you already said what you're doing isnt fun. We are here to help. ;)

Nah, 2 foot step distance to get me to 24 feet....no rappelling....it's just a hassle but light and safe

Nah, 2 foot step distance to get me to 24 feet....no rappelling....it's just a hassle but light and safe
24" is a big ol step in full hunting gear. I can do box step up on the 24" box just fine but that has never translated to the woods for me. 20-21 is about it hunting.

Back