• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Non-mechanical SRT self tending hitch at bridge connection?

50fps

I am fairly new to this so please bear with my terminology. I am wanting to use the SRT climbing method without a mechanical at the bridge connection. I have a hand ascender for the foot loop, but want to run a self tending hitch at the bridge that is easy to tie to the line in the field and feed the rope back up and through a beaner attached to the hand ascender. My question is what hitch will easily tend itself when pulling on tag end of the rope.

Something similar to the Overwatch SRT video.

I did climb years ago for Asplundh using their moving rope style technique.

Check out the JRB Climbing YouTube channel. I bet you will find what you're looking for there.
I have been checking those out. John provides some great and thorough info, but my attention span gets the best of me.

I was using the WLR hitch and Jon’s Garda hitch for a foot loop.
Last year I started using the longhorn hitch and it works well.

Simple! Use the longhorn agile hitch at your bridge with a garda foot loop for foot ascender and throw the hand ascender in a tote lol! I use to climb with a hand ascender but found it’s much easier to climb for me just using the longhorn and garda!

Might be simpler to DRT...if you dont want a mechanical. Go to the 15:00 minute mark of this video for the bachmann knot.

Set it up to self tend and put your hand ascender below the bachmann. With this setu[, i dont have to take anything off my rope when done.

Might be simpler to DRT...if you dont want a mechanical. Go to the 15:00 minute mark of this video for the bachmann knot.

Set it up to self tend and put your hand ascender below the bachmann. With this setu[, i dont have to take anything off my rope when done.
For 12 years, I did DRT/MRS in a saddle. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. At that time, I just didn't know how to create a stationary rope system which:
1. No mechanical devices
2. No friction, so higher efficiency
3. 1:1 ascent instead of 2:1, so twice as fast.
4. Don't want to tie any knots at the tree: clip and climb.
5. Redundancy for moving points of connection on the rope.

Now, we have a way to do this with DSRT, and so there is no reason to execute an MRS. Really. There are no advantages.

As per the original question, my suggestion is the JRB ascender. It's what i used on my Double Adjustable Bridge Design. https://jrbtreeclimbing.com/content/bridge/

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

Back