• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle pack attachment advice needed

Alaska at Heart

I asked for and received a Back Woods Mobile Gear platform pack for my EDP platform and am using it as the 'base' of a new carry system for '24. I also got Tethrd padded shoulder straps and figured out the loop strap to loop strap connections with a heavy duty split ring.....think key chain. Then for the stick attachment straps with a similar loop to loop connection that needed to be quick release, I decided upon a couple Nite-Ize S-biners that proved to be a good solution. But on the Tethrd roll out pouch that is going to be used for carrying in a vest or outer layer, it has one of these......which on surface appearance looks fine. However in testing around the house, it opens up with just a small bump or jiggle, which means my $160 Sitka Stratus vest is laying on the ground as I unknowlngly walk away towards a tree to hunt. That isn't acceptable, so I need something that is much more secure. If this had a locking tab, it would be fine. So my thought is a 3/4" triglide to hold the strap adjustment tension and another smaller Nite-Ize S-biner.....unless someone has a perfect solution. There won't be much weight involved, but having my vest drop out at home didn't instill me with confidence on the stock connector.

Attachments

• 224 EDP pack roll pouch connector.jpg
    224 EDP pack roll pouch connector.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 29
I asked for and received a Back Woods Mobile Gear platform pack for my EDP platform and am using it as the 'base' of a new carry system for '24. I also got Tethrd padded shoulder straps and figured out the loop strap to loop strap connections with a heavy duty split ring.....think key chain. Then for the stick attachment straps with a similar loop to loop connection that needed to be quick release, I decided upon a couple Nite-Ize S-biners that proved to be a good solution. But on the Tethrd roll out pouch that is going to be used for carrying in a vest or outer layer, it has one of these......which on surface appearance looks fine. However in testing around the house, it opens up with just a small bump or jiggle, which means my $160 Sitka Stratus vest is laying on the ground as I unknowlngly walk away towards a tree to hunt. That isn't acceptable, so I need something that is much more secure. If this had a locking tab, it would be fine. So my thought is a 3/4" triglide to hold the strap adjustment tension and another smaller Nite-Ize S-biner.....unless someone has a perfect solution. There won't be much weight involved, but having my vest drop out at home didn't instill me with confidence on the stock connector.

The gatekeepers always worked really well for me. Kinda surprised they arent used more.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Latitude G-hooks look to be the same as the Tethrd, but with the clip gate which is the missing element. Unfortunately both options are out of stock at present. But the Latitude version looks to be a very good future option.

I had the same issue on my predator pack for the straps on the bottom. I bought some of these and slide them up over the connection point and never had the issue again. A little bit to fiddle with but it's a quick fix

Found the pictures at https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-hunting-turkey-vest-thread.50208/post-756761

@inarcher711 has two vertical loops of 550 cord running vertically the height of his turkey vest. Each loop has a couple of cobra weave buttons. He sticks extra layers through the paracord loops and holds them in place with the cobra weave buttons. Perhaps not as polished a solution as you're looking for, but clever, doesn't use metal, and you probably already have enough paracord to tinker with this on your pack. Should work just fine for your Sitka vest.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Latitude G-hooks look to be the same as the Tethrd, but with the clip gate which is the missing element. Unfortunately both options are out of stock at present. But the Latitude version looks to be a very good future option.
Best profile name ever.
Adventure xpert also makes g hooks with a wire gate. I’ve played around with these on a couple applications and found them to be durable. I don’t think I’d hang my body from them but I’ve secured my ridge runner with them for a full season with no issue. They make a couple different flavors. They are coming from across the pond but maybe you could find a dealer closer, or if you aren’t in a hurry.

They are ugly, but I love the shock cord loops with the balls. I'll tie just a loop somewhere and then a loop with a ball and connect them. You can tie them anywhere. You can also buy your own shock cord to use with the balls and make them any length. I use 2 sets to hold my platform and then slide my saddle under them. I've done this for 4 seasons and they have been secure. I change the elastic out every 2 years or so.

Last edited:

Those gatekeepers look awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

Best profile name ever.
Adventure xpert also makes g hooks with a wire gate. I’ve played around with these on a couple applications and found them to be durable. I don’t think I’d hang my body from them but I’ve secured my ridge runner with them for a full season with no issue. They make a couple different flavors. They are coming from across the pond but maybe you could find a dealer closer, or if you aren’t in a hurry.
Those look a lot like the Latitude version, but I am guessing shipping from England is going to add significantly to the cost. Plus I live about 14-15 miles from Latitude, so I'm hoping to just drive over and pick up a set when they come back in stock....no shipping.

Back