• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

5 must own guns

There's not an animal in North America that can't and won't be hunted next year with a 12 gauge or 30-06. I have a muzzleloader because of muzzeloader season. For a 12 gauge you can go from number 9 birdshot all the way up to copper slugs. For my 30-06 I have 110 grain bullets up to 220 grain bullets. Everything else I own is just for fun.

One thing all the 6.5's have going for them is a good selection of high section density bullets. A 160 grain 6.5 has great sectional density. To get near it in 30 caliber you need to have a bullet of 220 grains or heavier. High sectional density really helps with retaining downrange energy and helps penetration.

The great elephant hunter WDM Bell killed many of his 1011 elephant with a 6.5 loaded with 160 grain round nose cupronickel solids taking brain shots.
He killed the majority with a 275 Rigby and 173 gr solids. Today we call it the 7x57 Mauser. I did go back and research after I originally posted the 275 Rigby comment and learned he did also shoot some of his recorded 1011 elephants with a 6.5x 54.

Last edited:
He killed the majority with a 275 Rigby and 173 gr solids. Today we call it the 7x57 Mauser. I did go back and research after I originally posted the 275 Rigby comment and learned he did also shoot some of his recorded 1011 elephants with a 6.5x 54.
Yes, his favorite was a 275 Rigby (7x57) using solids, but he put the 6.5 to good use too.

Back