• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Surviving Target Bucks

What county are you in?? I hunt 4E in Luzerne. The orange army has seemed to die down but the crossbow has taken it's place.
3d/3e. I've never seen a target of mine killed during archery. Not in 3 years. Rifle is a total massacre. I had 2 big 10s on cam, gigantic 9, heavy 8, and a nice not giant 8. Every single one got killed cept the nice 8 in the first two days of rifle. Pretty hard to make it when there's a rifle behind every blade of grass
Ours, and our adjacent neighbors make up about 2k total acres. We killed 12, and they killed 19. Can't even imagine what was killed on the adjacent public. Not even German high command in 1942 could have carried out a better mission

3d/3e. I've never seen a target of mine killed during archery. Not in 3 years. Rifle is a total massacre. I had 2 big 10s on cam, gigantic 9, heavy 8, and a nice not giant 8. Every single one got killed cept the nice 8 in the first two days of rifle. Pretty hard to make it when there's a rifle behind every blade of grass
Sorry to hear that. I will say that if PA really wants to produce some big bucks (which they can) then reducing firearms season should be top priority. For anyone unaware, it's a 2 week season and ALOT of deer get killed.

Sorry to hear that. I will say that if PA really wants to produce some big bucks (which they can) then reducing firearms season should be top priority. For anyone unaware, it's a 2 week season and ALOT of deer get killed.
I can't complain in regards to great bucks to hunt. I had some giants on cam and in person the last couple of years. Obviously, the rifle guys are entitled to their hunting too. If anything I'd like to see doe season shortened up to a week tops.

I have no target bucks persay, but I did see a good one with only a week left of extended archery. I know where I’ll play most of next season. It’s been a while since I’ve been this excited about the next season. It’s public land but pretty tough to access so I like the chances of seeing him again.

Finally got confirmation.

Attachments

• IMG_5668.jpeg
    IMG_5668.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5674.jpeg
    IMG_5674.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5670.jpeg
    IMG_5670.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 20
Not much of a story, It was taken at night with a spotlight and a small caliber rifle during early archery season.
Sounds like they caught the jerk! I hope they take his hunting privileges away forever!!

Sounds like they caught the jerk! I hope they take his hunting privileges away forever!!
Yeah, it’d be interesting to know what the outcome was for the poacher. Considering the way the skull is cut it’s pretty clear this deer wasn’t shot for survival purposes.

Yeah, it’d be interesting to know what the outcome was for the poacher. Considering the way the skull is cut it’s pretty clear this deer wasn’t shot for survival purposes.
The area it was shot in is a very high poaching area. all with small caliber rifles. We have found over a dozen in the last 2 years and that's not counting what they kept. Most are 100"+ buck. I'm sure it won't be nearly enough of a punishment for the damage that has been done.

The area it was shot in is a very high poaching area. all with small caliber rifles. We have found over a dozen in the last 2 years and that's not counting what they kept. Most are 100"+ buck. I'm sure it won't be nearly enough of a punishment for the damage that has been done.
Are you Encon Police?

I listened recently to Clay Newcomb interview Donnie Baker, who shot a 205" 10pt buck in MO illegally. He got a $114 ticket... but ended up losing his job on the military fort for it. very interesting and compelling podcast.

I listened recently to Clay Newcomb interview Donnie Baker, who shot a 205" 10pt buck in MO illegally. He got a $114 ticket... but ended up losing his job on the military fort for it. very interesting and compelling podcast.
It was a great 2 part podcast. Kind of shows how easy it can be to fall into an almost innocent poaching scenario.

My question always is….. where in the heck do they go!?!?!??
Anywhere they can to be left alone. Around here it’s primarily super steep slopes, swamps, and thickets on the edge of peoples back yards. I’m constantly amazed by how common it is for big bucks to seek shelter right under people’s noses. A few years ago I was investigating this big mature buck who happened to live close to two hunting camps that put a lot of hunters in the woods. Right at the end of the season we got some snow and I was able to track the buck and see how he’d been Avoiding the hunters. He was literally bedding in sight of one the camps so he could monitor the hunters. And his walking tracks wove around all of their stand sites. He avoided their stands, cameras and even avoided walking anywhere he’d cross the hunters atv and foot paths.

Back