• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2024 Off-Season Getting/Staying In Shape Motivation Thread

I've actually done the majority of my trail running in the dark. I only started trail running in late December. I assume I will like it even more in the daylight now that it is brighter later.

The reality is that if the trail is challenging and you are running, you are are concentrating on footwork so much that you don't get to fully enjoy the nature. I save the nature for the observation points at the pinnacle. I have found that I can't even listen to music while I trail run because I need the concentration for my footwork. Also - I like trail running because it's a slower pace, but I feel like I'm working just as hard if not harder as my speed work on roads.

My advice is to join a trail running group, I've got two different groups I go out with. After my race next weekend I plan to start doing more trails.

The problem is staying on the trail. All the cool stuff is off trail like benches, thermal hubs, oak flats, etc. Cant just run by that stuff, gotta go check it out. Wife gets frustrated when we go hike because I always end up off trail looking at spots to kill stuff even when I know I will never hunt there.
This is part of the plan! Or all that water I might need to see if I can catch dinner while I'm in the area. Ya know?

If I were still coaching I’d volunteer to do all that for you, couldn’t be there physically but that’s not really needed if you have motivation and can keep accountable to another human. I gave up coaching and training people about 3 years ago though, got tired of explaining to people how to get out of their own way, and also majority of peoples perspective of what hard actually is is severely off.
I appreciate this!! What should I say I'm looking for? Or Google to find places to talk to about what I want?

I appreciate this!! What should I say I'm looking for? Or Google to find places to talk to about what I want?
Personal trainer but look at qualifications not all trainers are created equal. I’ve never been a certified dietician but I can tell you what they teach them in college is egregious on many levels. Ideally you want to get a plan together yourself (it’s much easier than you think). Mind Pump has great info on all aspects of what you’re looking for you could start and end there. If it’s a fitness “guru” on instagram idc what they look like they don’t know jack and it’s mostly a facade. Just be careful navigating through all the bro science. Most people overthink it, apply the K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) Method and you’ll do great things.

The problem is staying on the trail. All the cool stuff is off trail like benches, thermal hubs, oak flats, etc. Cant just run by that stuff, gotta go check it out. Wife gets frustrated when we go hike because I always end up off trail looking at spots to kill stuff even when I know I will never hunt there.

I swear we are married to the same woman. Recent conversation with my wife went like this:

Her: I know you wanted to go shed hunting last weekend and didn't get too, want to go shed hunting tonight instead of our usual hike?
Me: Yeah, that sounds great! There's this place I want to check out that's just on the other side of the ridge from where we are going to park.
Her: Is there a trail there?
Me: No.
Her: How about we just look for sheds along the trail we were going to hike?

Last edited:
I swear we are married to the same woman. Recent conversation with my wife went like this:

Her: I know you wanted to go shed hunting last weekend and didn't get too, want to go shed hunting tonight instead of our usual hike?
Me: Yeah, that sounds great! There's this place I want to check out that's just on the other side of the ridge from where we are going to park?
Her: Is there a trail there?
Me: No.
Her: How about we just look for sheds along the trail we were going to hike?
Mine just pulled one that I barked about. Our niece's are coming to visit later today for the weekend. The oldest one had a birthday a few days ago. So instead of getting a small birthday cake for all of us to have a piece, my wife goes the the smallcakes place and gets 2 freakin cupcakes. I got home and was like what is this nonsense? She said "I dont like cupcakes and you dont need one". I am quite certain she saw the line, crossed it and she aint checked up yet. Ima go get me the biggest milkshake sonic makes to drink while the girls eat their cupcakes.

I would ideally like someone/somewhere that can work with me on all facets of fitness. Like nutrition, strength, flexibility, cardio, body composition ect. I don't really care what the scale says. I have another gym in mind that's even in a better spot I want to too. CrossFit does seem like a workout I might like, never have liked just lifting or just running. But I'll go hard playing a sport or something like that
If you loved sports you’ll really enjoy the team atmosphere of CrossFit. You’ll be busting it going all the things you don’t enjoy in an atmosphere you do enjoy. I’d check out a couple see if you can drop in a couple times with different coaches to find the best fit!

If you loved sports you’ll really enjoy the team atmosphere of CrossFit. You’ll be busting it going all the things you don’t enjoy in an atmosphere you do enjoy. I’d check out a couple see if you can drop in a couple times with different coaches to find the best fit!
I would have been all over it if not for the cost. That's not to say that it isnt worth it, it's just a big bill for a "gym" membership.

I would have been all over it if not for the cost. That's not to say that it isnt worth it, it's just a big bill for a "gym" membership.

On one hand I’d say personal health and fitness is priceless, but also paying gym memberships is dumb on many levels. If you’re committed make a home gym they can be done without breaking the bank, hell a pull-up bar and a trap bar or barbell with plates and I can get you in the best shape of your life, you don’t need hardly anything to have a very solid workout plan/regimen. I used to own and operate a couple gyms and I can tell you it’s ridiculous what we charge people, BUT as I said, being in good shape is priceless sooo take either the way you please.

On one hand I’d say personal health and fitness is priceless, but also paying gym memberships is dumb on many levels. If you’re committed make a home gym they can be done without breaking the bank, hell a pull-up bar and a trap bar or barbell with plates and I can get you in the best shape of your life, you don’t need hardly anything to have a very solid workout plan/regimen. I used to own and operate a couple gyms and I can tell you it’s ridiculous what we charge people, BUT as I said, being in good shape is priceless sooo take either the way you please.
We use our community center gym and its like $220 for both of for the year. I dont mind that. But the crossfit places here are not far from that per moth per person. We also have somewhat of a home gym too. My wife is going to workout 5 days a week every week, period end of discussion. That means I have to as well lol. We have been to crossfit a few times and really enjoyed it though.

I've always been a bit wary of CrossFit after hearing a few stories (some first hand from friends, some in the news/third hand) about people being encouraged to lift too fast/with incorrect form and getting hurt. My guess is this is not ubiquitous, but my own limited knowledge of how to lift "correctly" has coupled with this to be the main excuse I use to avoid those gyms.

I hope, however, that this sentiment is wrong or somewhat blown out of proportion.

I've been wrestling heavy furniture up and down my stairs and rearranging a room/large storage closet today (got rid of some pieces my ex left, bought myself a gun cabinet, etc) so I'm calling that cross training lol. Planning to add a few easy miles on the treadmill tonight as well.

Hey, I know some of you are in PA but even if you aren't, here is a chance to use your pre season motivation and exercise to help PA sportsmen. I just got a notice about this fundraiser for the https://pfsc.org/home

Basically pay $30 to help PA conservation and sportsmen, get a shirt, and if you happen to run/walk/hike the most or get the most elevation in a 12 hour period on 7/13/24 you win a prize. I happen to be leaving for vacation that morning so I probably can't get more than 10 miles in but I'll still sign up. It's shame this event doesn't overlap with a 24 hour trail running event I'm doing a few weeks later!

tagging @Jagger0502 since I found out about the PFSC from him on the Harrisburg show thread, visited their booth and became a member at the show.

I've always been a bit wary of CrossFit after hearing a few stories (some first hand from friends, some in the news/third hand) about people being encouraged to lift too fast/with incorrect form and getting hurt. My guess is this is not ubiquitous, but my own limited knowledge of how to lift "correctly" has coupled with this to be the main excuse I use to avoid those gyms.

I hope, however, that this sentiment is wrong or somewhat blown out of proportion.

I've been wrestling heavy furniture up and down my stairs and rearranging a room/large storage closet today (got rid of some pieces my ex left, bought myself a gun cabinet, etc) so I'm calling that cross training lol. Planning to add a few easy miles on the treadmill tonight as well.
I think you can find meatheads anywhere, I kinda had the opposite experience I went in with my wife no clue what we were doing & they coached us for 2years together. I think it was 230 per month but we went 4-6 times a week. They were crazy about form & would start every session that involved lifting with a pvc pipe or empty bar for 5-10 minutes to practice the movement correctly. I went to another gym while traveling that was the opposite. But good ones are out there, plus I recruited a 1/2 dozen saddle hunters to our ranks….

Yeah, I don't know about $200+ per month. I'm still going tom look into it but it's not going to last at that rate. I've been too cheap to do yoga around here, it's about $25 a class I think. Lol, don't want it that bad

Yeah, I don't know about $200+ per month. I'm still going tom look into it but it's not going to last at that rate. I've been too cheap to do yoga around here, it's about $25 a class I think. Lol, don't want it that bad
Yeahh prices are crazy. Yoga is good though, and I regularly say it’s one of the hardest workouts I do. YouTube has plethora of free yoga follow alongs, the key is finding one that doesn’t make you wanna have an aneurysm after 2 minutes of listening to their voice.

Yeahh prices are crazy. Yoga is good though, and I regularly say it’s one of the hardest workouts I do. YouTube has plethora of free yoga follow alongs, the key is finding one that doesn’t make you wanna have an aneurysm after 2 minutes of listening to their voice.
I can 100% relate to this! Some of the yogis are just.too.much. lol

Back