• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target bucks

Jammintree

SH Member
I would love to hear accounts from hunter’s that target a specific buck. Would you be willing to talk about the ways you identify your target, how you go about the study of the specific animals behaviors and how you plan your hunts? I’m always intrigued by other peoples approach and thought this thread might be a good way to share knowledge and tactics.

Id call it more like a buck id like to get a shot at rather than a target.

Successfully targeting a specific animal I think depends more on the habitat you hunt.

All of us have different levels of what we'd consider target bucks. For ME, in the mtns around me this is as good as it gets, period: 1000020646.jpg1000020645.jpg1000020644.jpg1000020643.jpg

Id have killed to have an opportunity at any of them, I had the 3rd picture 10 in front of me Nov 8th I didn't have an opening to sling an arrow at.

I don't waste time targeting a specific deer because of the size of their range.

Going by data you read online and the PSU deer studies, they say deer dont leave their range under pressure, but rather move much less in daylight. Going by my cams, and talking to private land owners around the public and private i hunt and them showing me their pictures, i dont buy it.
I think MTN deer who go months and months without human intrusion have a zero tolerance policy for intrusion. Some get out at the first wiff of trouble. That 9 in the second pic definitely hung around after smelling me. But that 10 and wide 9 had insane ranges. The one neighbor whose over 2.2 miles away from the public I hunt had that 10 in daylight on his property before and after rut. I also had him a ton on cam.

Targeting a specific deer like that can be finding a needle in a haystack. I just hunt hard, don't give up, keep bouncing around, hitting pumpkin spice lattes, and believe todays the day he slips up

For me I start by getting a first hand visual of a buck that I want to target. It doesn't matter if public or private. Deer rarely stay on one property and roam. If I find a deer, I hunt him right away, often deer move areas week from week. If I can't pick the kill tree from a distance ( 100-200 yards) then I will sit again watching for him but much closer. It's all about exit if you don't plan to kill on that sit. If I get a visual again, I will go in for the kill on next day. As long as it's the same wind. I always try to come in from up wind, buck doesn't suspect it, but just ever slightly off wind. I also want the buck to walk within 10 yards of me. That way plenty of shot opportunities while he approaches. I won't sit to far out and plan on shooting a long shot. Every big buck I've killed was under 20 yards, and usually under 10. Get them close and helps with mistakes when you start shaking! Haha.

I never go in and set cameras. This just alerts the buck. Only go in to kill him. If you mess it up and blow the buck out, move on. He's not coming back soon.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

For me I start by getting a first hand visual of a buck that I want to target. It doesn't matter if public or private. Deer rarely stay on one property and roam. If I find a deer, I hunt him right away, often deer move areas week from week. If I can't pick the kill tree from a distance ( 100-200 yards) then I will sit again watching for him but much closer. It's all about exit if you don't plan to kill on that sit. If I get a visual again, I will go in for the kill on next day. As long as it's the same wind. I always try to come in from up wind, buck doesn't suspect it, but just ever slightly off wind. I also want the buck to walk within 10 yards of me. That way plenty of shot opportunities while he approaches. I won't sit to far out and plan on shooting a long shot. Every big buck I've killed was under 20 yards, and usually under 10. Get them close and helps with mistakes when you start shaking! Haha.

I never go in and set cameras. This just alerts the buck. Only go in to kill him. If you mess it up and blow the buck out, move on. He's not coming back soon.

What type of habitat do you hunt primarily? Broken farm country, hills, mountains, river bottoms, big timber? I definitely think that plays a big role. Some folks have the advantage of being able to glass deer at a distance and that certainly helps in finding a deer to target.

Your approach definitley works, esp if not using cams.

What type of habitat do you hunt primarily? Broken farm country, hills, mountains, river bottoms, big timber? I definitely think that plays a big role. Some folks have the advantage of being able to glass deer at a distance and that certainly helps in finding a deer to target.

My favorite is swamps in and around farm country. I don't have true hill country around me, its about 2 or 3 hours away. I hunt a variety of big woods also with zero ag. I find the bucks in and around swamp areas. Usually in that 400-500 yards from crop fields. Majority of my hunting is on public and cherry pick the best spots on only a couple properties. Put all my effort into 2 - 3 properties and not spread myself to thin trying to hunt ever property within a hour. I try to keep my travel distance around 30 minutes away. Spent more time hunting and not driving. Makes it easy to hunt more during week after work.

I should explain alittle better on my glassing. I still go in with my stand on my back and look for buck sign in know areas. Once I find it, I setup on my best guess of where I will kill a buck. I then glass that evening just trying to spot a buck. Usually they are within 100 yards of me. Then make game plan for next day and get out with out the buck knowing I'm there. Very important. Slow is key on approach and exit. I've taken 2 hours just to make final 100 yard approach to kill tree on most hunts when I know there is a buck in there.

Most spots I can't see 10 yards, but still glass with binos just to get a glimpse of a buck. I feel naked if I don't have my binos with me.

I like threads like this.. I’m gonna give you guys the easiest analogy I can as to why I believe more folks don’t kill mature bucks, which goes hand in hand with ”target bucks”, if someone wanted to hunt me when I was 21 they would have had multiple opportunities at any given time, I was in a different bar every other night covering 4 towns, always sleeping somewhere new, putting down tons of miles chasing like a spike horn in the second week of November, my scrape line was huge and far. Now in my mid 40’s, the pattern is simple, my routine is consistent, come home from work, turn the tv on, sit in the recliner in my house…you get the idea.. Big bucks, mature deer, are easier to pattern, they are set in their ways, confident on what has worked for all these years to survive. They leave bigger sign but in a smaller area, are more predictable, and easier to pattern, but overall it’s finding this sign, these deer, that’s the problem, and then finding them in an area where you can put a plan together, without other hunter intrusion, to go after them, one on one, and know when you fail it’s because of something you did and not the neighbor down the road. The reason most don’t get a chance at a mature buck is.. first, they simply aren’t in an area conducive of big bucks, second, if they are… then usually they’re not setting up on the right sign left by said big buck and instead hunting over stuff left by 2.5 year olds, which as a rule usually looks more appealing to us as humans, often times it’s more open, with easier access, lots of visual ok size rubs/scrapes, you get the idea, areas like that present more shot opportunities on deer as a whole, are more fun to hunt with lots of action… which is not always the case if your after the one lone wolf of the herd. You have to be relentless in your search, scouting, to find these mature, target bucks, and do it in an area big enough to hold them 75% of the time, with as little pressure as possible by other hunters, to truly give yourself any chance of hunting, targeting, one specific buck and hoping to kill it. I would be willing to bet less than 1% of the deer killed each season are by people solely going after that one specific buck, or by folks who even knew that particular deer existed before they lay it on the ground. There is no satisfaction quite like dedicating your entire season to one specific target buck and having it come together at the finish line just when you thought it couldn’t be done. It takes tremendous amounts of time, persistence, large acreage, some luck, and an attitude that you just don’t care about anything else other than that animal, would you rather have a 2% chance at your target buck on any given day, or a 50% chance at getting a shot opportunity on something.. anything.. The most dedicated of the bunch make those 2% chance days add up to equal 100% by the end of a long, grinding season, usually by hunting everyday. People will often judge the lifestyle of these folks who do this year after year, missing family time, work, whatever, but usually that’s what it takes and it’s not for most. It’s like anything else in life, you can be envious of the neighbor down the road with a new corvette, and who works 80 hours a week, but then realize he has no life and at what cost actually was that corvette when he/she spends zero time with the family. Attempting to learn anything from folks like this in regards to hunting usually takes a big piece of humble pie first, usually they’re arrogant, eccentric, and overall just unwilling to share much, wouldn’t you be though if year after year your part of the 1% club??? In my travels I’ve often found when in a room full of hunters, successful hunters, and one guy is running his mouth nonstop, and another guy isn’t saying much, but instead asking a whole bunch of questions…. that’s the one I pay attention to, usually he is the real deal or soon to be!

I'm typically looking for a certain one or two as I get older. Last three years I'm 100% on my targets. This year I'd like to take it up a notch. I'm going to have to be a bit more disciplined.
I've discussed this before in length, but I feel like the hardest part is finding one. Not a random sighting, but a number of pics or encounters that tells you he spends a certain amount of time in an area.
Two of the three from the last few years were either shot, or fell 20 yards from each other. Other guys have hunted this "area", but they hadn't cracked the code on exactly where and why. That and they hunt presets exclusively. I may have one or two, but I'm carrying in and out mostly and letting the day dictate the tree.

I'm typically looking for a certain one or two as I get older. Last three years I'm 100% on my targets. This year I'd like to take it up a notch. I'm going to have to be a bit more disciplined.
I've discussed this before in length, but I feel like the hardest part is finding one. Not a random sighting, but a number of pics or encounters that tells you he spends a certain amount of time in an area.
Two of the three from the last few years were either shot, or fell 20 yards from each other. Other guys have hunted this "area", but they hadn't cracked the code on exactly where and why. That and they hunt presets exclusively. I may have one or two, but I'm carrying in and out mostly and letting the day dictate the tree.
I am curious if you are hanging on sign or just in the reasonable vicinity of it? The guys I know that are really good at targeting and killing mature deer generally are not hanging on sign. My cameras in the mountains this year backed that up. The best bucks I got pics of were from cams not hung on sign and 2 of the cams had no buck sign to speak of within 150 yards or more.

I am curious if you are hanging on sign or just in the reasonable vicinity of it? The guys I know that are really good at targeting and killing mature deer generally are not hanging on sign. My cameras in the mountains this year backed that up. The best bucks I got pics of were from cams not hung on sign and 2 of the cams had no buck sign to speak of within 150 yards or more.

Sign is secondary to me although I obviously pay attention to it. If I look back, most of the kill spots were void of heavy sign. I'm looking at terrain features, sometimes on a micro level....a hill, gully, solid wall cover, etc. that may force a change in wind current....or that is how I describe my most recent setup areas. Some of these spots look far from "bucky". My buddy stood under my stand last year and just shook his head. What could I say?......the deer liked the spot...in the daylight no less. I just happened to pop up a camera on a whim and found out he was regular.

Sign is secondary to me although I obviously pay attention to it. If I look back, most of the kill spots were void of heavy sign. I'm looking at terrain features, sometimes on a micro level....a hill, gully, solid wall cover, etc. that may force a change in wind current....or that is how I describe my most recent setup areas. Some of these spots look far from "bucky". My buddy stood under my stand last year and just shook his head. What could I say?......the deer liked the spot...in the daylight no less. I just happened to pop up a camera on a whim and found out he was regular.
Those are the spots I am just sorta figuring out. They can pay long term dividends because mature bucks will continue to use those spots and like you have mentioned they get overlooked by others, in large part due to the lack of sign. That was the one thing I really tried to zero in on this past year is finding the spots where a mature buck is going to put his feet but not leave sign for others to key on. Figure out how to layer those spots based on timeframe of the season and hunting could be that much more better. It's a chess match and chess champions see the opponents move before the opponent does. Lots of days I feel like I am still playin checkers.

Yeah that’s interesting… I’ve had most of my target buck encounters at these kinds of locations too. I try and find places they frequently pass through during daylight hours, where their movement has to be through a small and predictable corridor. Better yet if it’s somewhere I can get in and out of without being detected. And in a perfect situation I can get away with hunting the spot several times without spoiling it.

How often are you guys able to successfully hunt from the same location? I tend to not repeat hunt most spots and if I do I like to let a fair amount of time pass. Unless I’m reasonably confident that something is keeping them in that area and I’ve not yet blown my cover.

Yeah, cameras…
They are such a double edged sword. Personally I find them useful for long term data collection. I also find that having pictures of good bucks helps incentivize me to hunt my best. But every time I try and use them for short term intel I feel like they work against me.

I have a couple of spots like that. They have a lot of hunting pressure, but it is consistent, patternable pressure for the deer. One area consists of a long ridge that dumps out on two ends. The same dude has two stands, one at each end of the ridge but he is off. These are permanent (illegal) ladder stands. You are supposed to remove any stand within 7 days of the end of the season. They have been there 5 years minimum. I call him "Pillsbury" since he uses those little pie pans that the premade pies come in to mark his path to and from his stand. He puts a pie pan on the tree and sticks it on with a reflective tack. Why he does this I have no idea. His stands are an easy, clear walk to.

I am sure he is getting picture of this buck, most likely night time pics so he thinks he is in the game. I also have no doubts whatsoever that every deer in the area has him patterned down to a tee. On one end of the ridge, he has his stand along a power line easement. He is hoping that buck walks out into the open in broad daylight like he sees on TV. It could happen, sure, but if it does, he needs to buy a lottery ticket on his way home. His other spot is off in a little bowl where the ridge drops out. I found it last year walking around scouting. From what I can tell by the sign and the layout, he is 100 yards too far South, and facing the wrong way.

I've hunted that buck on and off for the past 4 years but not too seriously. The first year I found "the" spot to be at to see him in daylight. I went in midday with my little Lone Wolf Assault II climber and went up a little pine. I ended up getting a shot at him with my longbow at about 8 yards and clean missed him. He was cruising like a beagle with his nose to the ground, zigzagging all over. He didn't even realize I shot at him. He was about a 115 inch 8 point then.

The second year I saw him at 40 yards in November. I decided to set up a little off the original spot and that was a mistake. I saw him stick his head out of the thicket and look around, but he didn't come out. If I had been in the spot from the previous year I might have gotten him.

The next year I ran a camera in there all season and got him on camera in daylight. That whole season's worth of data was pretty valuable. I ended up getting sidetracked by another couple of deer that year and never hunted him. He survived.

This past season I hunted the spot as an afterthought, in late January and Pillsbury was out there in his ladder hunting hard. That, and a camera I ran in there for the last month of season told me the buck survived. Maybe I will go in after turkey season and walk that core area out again and get serious about killing that buck. He has to in the 130's by now. So, I guess you could say he is a target buck, but part of me hopes he dies of old age.

Attachments

• buck 2.jpg
    buck 2.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 23
I've killed a few bucks that I was specifically looking for. One in particular was a buck I named the Steve Martin buck because of his nose. I'm not a wordy person but really just narrowed down his core area using trail cams and then waited for an east wind. I was literally only in the woods about 75-100 yards but beside a major highway. East wind would be blowing from the woods out to the highway and my thinking was he would cruise the edge (but not too close to the highway) scent checking for does. I literally had only been in the tree for 20 minutes when I hear footsteps coming quick. As soon as I saw him I knew it was him becuase of that nose. He came through on a mission. No feeding or stopping/slowing down, just fast walking. I couldn't even get him to stop for a shot so lucky for me I wasn't bow hunting that day and dropped him with the slug. Most people would of never sat that close to a road like that but that's the hunting part, these deer see cars all the time. I used that highway as a backstop with very easy access.

Yeah that’s interesting… I’ve had most of my target buck encounters at these kinds of locations too. I try and find places they frequently pass through during daylight hours, where their movement has to be through a small and predictable corridor. Better yet if it’s somewhere I can get in and out of without being detected. And in a perfect situation I can get away with hunting the spot several times without spoiling it.

How often are you guys able to successfully hunt from the same location? I tend to not repeat hunt most spots and if I do I like to let a fair amount of time pass. Unless I’m reasonably confident that something is keeping them in that area and I’ve not yet blown my cover.

Some spots I could probably hunt more, but looking back on last year I sat one preset 3 times. Twice I visited the same tree on a hang n hunt. The rest were one and done.
There's a balance for sure. A certain buck may only pass through once or twice a month....have to try to time that with as many sits as situationally possible.
Outside of the rut, I'm not seeing does when I shoot these bucks. At least not in the close proximity. You set up too close to a bunch of mommas and you will get picked off quickly.

Some spots I could probably hunt more, but looking back on last year I sat one preset 3 times. Twice I visited the same tree on a hang n hunt. The rest were one and done.
There's a balance for sure. A certain buck may only pass through once or twice a month....have to try to time that with as many sits as situationally possible.
Outside of the rut, I'm not seeing does when I shoot these bucks. At least not in the close proximity. You set up too close to a bunch of mommas and you will get picked off quickly.
@kbetts were you hunting this buck on a pattern then? How did you know to set up in the spot? It sounds like it wasn't during the rut.

@kbetts were you hunting this buck on a pattern then? How did you know to set up in the spot? It sounds like it wasn't during the rut.

Pre rut on an evening pattern. I'd call it a staging/transition area. They're moving through and not spending a long time in any one spot. A certain spot 20-30 yards off a field edge seems to be the hub. Briars, holly trees, water, a slight deviation in terrain.
Pics told me the story.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_121126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_121126_Gallery.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 22
Pre rut on an evening pattern. I'd call it a staging/transition area. They're moving through and not spending a long time in any one spot. A certain spot 20-30 yards off a field edge seems to be the hub. Briars, holly trees, water, a slight deviation in terrain.
Pics told me the story.
That's a cool deer!!

Back