• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Target bucks

The deer this year would break cover more readily. Here he's standing almost on the spot I shot him....in the open. The other pic is the same little transition spot as the 2021 pic about 150 yds away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_123449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_123449_Gallery.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20230827-121530.png
    Screenshot_20230827-121530.png
    898.6 KB · Views: 24
Very, very, very cool!!!

The Euro is due back soon. Unfortunately I didn't find him right away. From what I could tell, I clipped a briar and was maybe low or back towards the liver. He died about 300 yds from the shot. Dumb, dumb, dumb....lol. Tracking dogs didn't even pick up his trail. He's estimated at 8. I got to have his sheds as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240405_121713_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_121713_Gallery.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20240405_125531_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240405_125531_Gallery.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 20

Pre rut on an evening pattern. I'd call it a staging/transition area. They're moving through and not spending a long time in any one spot. A certain spot 20-30 yards off a field edge seems to be the hub. Briars, holly trees, water, a slight deviation in terrain.
Pics told me the story.
Injured the prior year on his rear right side?!

H
The Euro is due back soon. Unfortunately I didn't find him right away. From what I could tell, I clipped a briar and was maybe low or back towards the liver. He died about 300 yds from the shot. Dumb, dumb, dumb....lol. Tracking dogs didn't even pick up his trail. He's estimated at 8. I got to have his sheds as well.

How long did the coyotes work on him for?

(I can’t imagine the bittersweet feeling of tagging a buck that’s not edible)

H

How long did the coyotes work on him for?

(I can’t imagine the bittersweet feeling of tagging a buck that’s not edible)
Foxes here. Yotes are around but not in numbers....yet.

That was the second buck I've targeted, shot with a bow, and found later in the season. First one was with a recurve....then the most recent with a compound. Went back to the stickbow cause I realized it can happen no matter what you carry and how hard you prepare.
The first one I lost made me stop hunting for a while.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-113744.png
    Screenshot_20220819-113744.png
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 20
Same deal though. Just inside cover, pre rut. He was hanging around a bachelor group still. It was a guess where he'd stage though. I walked in one day with my climber and paralleled the edge. I could see some from fresh stripped saplings...not murdered, but worked. Turns out that was the staging spot. I watched 7 bucks rub and spar just out of range for 45 min. Big boy quartered the wind from their left flank, past my stand at 8yds just before the lights went out. I clipped the shoulder blade with a 15 yd shot.

Foxes here. Yotes are around but not in numbers....yet.

That was the second buck I've targeted, shot with a bow, and found later in the season. First one was with a recurve....then the most recent with a compound. Went back to the stickbow cause I realized it can happen no matter what you carry and how hard you prepare.
The first one I lost made me stop hunting for a while.
Sheesh! The heck with Iowa, Wisconsin, Kansas, Missouri or Ohio........ I'm moving to Delaware. Biden and Big Bucks!! Sorry I couldn't resist.

I think I'll take a ride today. I need to get into the woods. Time to track one down somewhere I haven't taken a good one. Turkey hunters will be out next week.

Back