• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone just use the ring of step?

That's what I did.
Problem with a ROS, time to take a pee, cold weather, need to put on mid layers or coat, ha ha. Need to put on rain gear, good luck with that. Early season, OK, cold weather, forget it.

View attachment 101551

I've never tried a ring of steps, but hoping to this season. Do others have similar problems with putting on layers, peeing, etc on these steps?

I use the bullman ring of platform steps for 99% of my sits. 6 steps spaced equally around the tree. I only use a platform if I am going to be using my boot covers because they are a bit too bulky for the step.

I've never tried a ring of steps, but hoping to this season. Do others have similar problems with putting on layers, peeing, etc on these steps?
I actually have no problem peeing or changing upper layers. I haven’t had a need to add or remove lower body clothing, as I use upper body layers to control temperature.

I’ve never had to pee from the saddle so I can’t comment on that. For the life of me I can’t imagine how using a ring of steps would create problems putting a coat on. You can certainly lean out on them for short periods, it’s just not the most comfortable for long times. I almost always put on or take off a coat/jacket while I’m in the saddle and I’ve done it both with a ROS only as well as a platform combined with a ROS. No issues with either.

On the same note, I have never had to put on lower layers while in the tree as none of mine are setup to go over the saddle. I just climb with them on then add upper layers once in the tree. Most certainly I would not be doing anything that would cause me to have to undo any part of my saddle to add lower layers while elevated in the tree. I have added boot blankets while using the ROS and the platform. It isn’t easy in either system but is doable the same.

Anybody use the Bullman ringa steps? I just ordered it how do you quiet them down and do they stick good to the tree?

That is one of the biggest advantages of the Squirrel Steps or the Pioneer Steps, they just pack up so nicely. I just hang this from a clip on the back of my saddle as I walk in or out.

I’ve had the tree hopper steps and they will stack together fairly nicely but they’re much bigger.

View attachment 101588
what's the wrapping? or did they come that way? My ameristeps aren't wrapped.

what's the wrapping? or did they come that way? My ameristeps aren't wrapped.
It’s just the camo vet wrap that is sold on Amazon. I will tell you though, it doesn’t hold up too well. I find I have to wrap the steps a couple of times a season, especially the ones my feet rest on all of the time. The only reason for doing this is to quiet them down in case they clank against one another.

I did also spray a couple of them with black spray on bed liner, mainly to take away the shine. It has held up okay so far but does nothing to quite them down any. I will probably spray the rest before the hunting season.

I used the Bullman plain ROS set up for the first couple seasons but I picked up a set of Bullman platform ROS and imo they are more comfortable than the regular. I will continue to use both but there is a little difference in comfort.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 17
I wonder if stealth strip on the main parts would be enough to keep em quiet. They are undoubtedly quieter than my one-stick, though - gosh it was mortifying whenever my madrock or carabiner clanked on it...

That's what I did.
Problem with a ROS, time to take a pee, cold weather, need to put on mid layers or coat, ha ha. Need to put on rain gear, good luck with that. Early season, OK, cold weather, forget it.

View attachment 101551
I don't have any issue layering. I use full leg zip bibs and just zip them on when you get set up. upper layers are the same way, just put them on. If you want them tucked into your saddle just loosen the belt and tuck it down in.

I use the bullman ring of platform steps for 99% of my sits. 6 steps spaced equally around the tree. I only use a platform if I am going to be using my boot covers because they are a bit too bulky for the s

so how do you like the bullman ring of steps?are you still using the rachet or ocb? I am getting mine in a cpl days.

I will admit that the OCB is lighter, but I'm still not sure I prefer it over a good ratchet strap....yet.

Although I mentioned climbing down to dress, I never feel it is necessary.
I am a fan of the ratchet strap also.
I used the OCB for a couple years with my squirrel steps, but seeing how tight the ratchet strap keeps those bullman steps, and how easy it was to connect even in the dark, made me stick with the ratchet strap

Back