• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lighted Nock Issues

tyson12590

I have been wanting to shoot some lighted arrow nocks with my longbow set up. I purchased some nocturnal universal fit nocks that fit my gold tip warrior shafts. In bare shaft tuning, the shafts with the lighted nocks are showing very erratic flight while my normal gold tip nocks are flying well. I added weight to my gold tip nocks to see if it was an arrow spine issue and the modified gold tip nocks flew good as well. I switched from a string string nock to a brass string nock thinking that might have been the issue and I downsized my serving size. Nothing I have tried can get these nocturnals to fly well.

Anyone have any ideas why this might be or experience with this issue?
I’m shooting 14 strand D-97 string with .21 Halo serving and I just reserved it with .19 halo serving to get a looser fit. And yes, I have a bottom string nock as well.

Id love to hear your thoughts.

Not sure how applicable this is, but I had major issues broadhead tuning out of a Mathews V3x compound with Nocturnal lighted nocks. Was driving me crazy til I switched back to Easton G nocks and everything flew like a dart. While I think the weight of the lighted nocks is within tight tolerance, I wonder if it’s variance in the tension of the nock on the string (the “pinch”, in other words) that caused my issues. I’m just not sure. I’d love to shoot lighted nocks, but I just don’t trust them.

In my experience it is all about the nock fit. If you put one of each nock on the string you will probably find that one can be spun around more easily. The string should move very little, if at all before the nock spins. If you get a quarter turn in the string before the nock finally spins, that’s the problem.

Lighted nocks snap on differently than "regular" nocks. I love the concept of lighted nocks but I think they are all heavy and usually snap on harder and are thicker, so I don't use them. This is with a compound.

I recently discovered that lumanock makes their 6mm/.231 nocks from bohning H nocks. For this reason alone I am going to switch to Easton sonic 6.0 shafts very soon. Finally I will have a lighted nock with good string fit that will fly like my practice shafts.

It's not a very popular idea but I've floated it here a couple times before... the E-arc lighted nocks from Amazon have always been awesome for me. At half the price of name brands, they are worth a try.

Not sure if these will help you but of all the lighted nocks I've tried, these are my absolute favorite.(Amazon) They always activate, very bright, and the best thing is they can be deactivated w/your fingernail. I hated having to use a broadhead or sharp knife to turn off the others in the dark. I've had no complaints except as you can see the Chinese make them! They also shoot like darts for me.

Attachments

• image000000 (1).jpg
    image000000 (1).jpg
    281 KB · Views: 11
Not sure if these will help you but of all the lighted nocks I've tried, these are my absolute favorite.(Amazon) They always activate, very bright, and the best thing is they can be deactivated w/your fingernail. I hated having to use a broadhead or sharp knife to turn off the others in the dark. I've had no complaints except as you can see the Chinese make them! They also shoot like darts for me.
Yep. These are the ones

Back