• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Quitting coffee

Studies of Blue Zones (highest concentrations of centenarians) shows regular coffee consumption is common amongst them.

I don’t think they’re drinking pots, but coffee isn’t poison either. And a heck of a lot healthier than Diet Coke.

I'm doing the yo-yo thing with caffeine. I had quit for probably 4 months. Back to about 1 bottle of diet coke on work days. Sometimes I still grab that morning monster but no more than 1 caffeine drink a day right now. Hopefully cutting back down to none. Yes both coffee and tea are gross so I drink that fake stuff

I cut back to a cup in the morning, and occassionally for pick me up for a drive or to power through tedium. For me there was a line in the sand between enjoying a fresh cup in the morning and compulsively drinking narsty stale piss warm stuff out of my tumbler all day. That line seemed like a good happy medium.

I actually already did that. I like the stuff, but I find its price to be way to high for the amount you get. It cost me $30 for a container with 30 servings. Tea costs roughly .25 per serving, less if you go the common bagged route.
This is the one I have and it’s fantastic! Can’t believe how fast it will boil water!

Coffee and caffeine alone aren’t harmful. Lots of evidence to suggest a correlation between better health and longevity among users. The problem is our inability to understand big numbers. This doesn’t mean “drink more coffee good” as our caveman brains want to think.

How much you consume, and when, is what matters. The when doesn’t have anything to do with caffeine really. It’s more about the disruption of your sleep cycle, caused by caffeine.

Save for a very tiny percentage of people(trust me, you’re not in it), anyone drinking coffee within 12 hours of their body’s preferred go to sleep time(not their ego’s or work schedule or home schedule’s sleep time) will experience a negative impact on sleep quality and quantity. It’s just a fact. It’s not up for debate, or like, your opinion, man.

You either view sleep as a foundational part of a happy healthy life, or you don’t. If you do, caffeine within 12 hours of bed time is going to cause you to come up short of your goals. If you don’t, life is short drink it all day long! It most definitely a performance enhancing drug.

I’m not sure why I’m doing it, probably has something to do with turning 50 this year and starting to face all that comes with getting old, but I’ve decided to eliminate caffeine. I enjoy the whole ritual of having a few cups of coffee in the morning, which I’ve replace with lower caffeinated tea for now. Seems to be going well so far. I don’t drink pop (soda) so I haven’t suffered any headaches thus far.

Just curious really, anyone else drink tea instead of coffee in the morning? Anyone completely caffeine free?
Oof I take in over 1kMG caffeine everyday, it’s a problem but can’t kick coffee and C4’s. Love my coffee black and a lot of it. And I’ve cut back a lot in the past 2 years but can’t see myself getting rid of my morning coffee ever.

Coffee and caffeine alone aren’t harmful. Lots of evidence to suggest a correlation between better health and longevity among users. The problem is our inability to understand big numbers. This doesn’t mean “drink more coffee good” as our caveman brains want to think.

How much you consume, and when, is what matters. The when doesn’t have anything to do with caffeine really. It’s more about the disruption of your sleep cycle, caused by caffeine.

Save for a very tiny percentage of people(trust me, you’re not in it), anyone drinking coffee within 12 hours of their body’s preferred go to sleep time(not their ego’s or work schedule or home schedule’s sleep time) will experience a negative impact on sleep quality and quantity. It’s just a fact. It’s not up for debate, or like, your opinion, man.

You either view sleep as a foundational part of a happy healthy life, or you don’t. If you do, caffeine within 12 hours of bed time is going to cause you to come up short of your goals. If you don’t, life is short drink it all day long! It most definitely a performance enhancing drug.
I'm one of the few exceptions to this rule...then again I don't really get jazzed up by coffee don't get the jitters and sleep quite well.

Oof I take in over 1kMG caffeine everyday, it’s a problem but can’t kick coffee and C4’s. Love my coffee black and a lot of it. And I’ve cut back a lot in the past 2 years but can’t see myself getting rid of my morning coffee ever.
I said that too until a year ago when my heart started beating funny. Decided I could prolly get by ok with decaf and have.

I'm one of the few exceptions to this rule...then again I don't really get jazzed up by coffee don't get the jitters and sleep quite well.
Have you had an actual sleep analysis done? Or are you going off your impression of your sleep?

Quitting Coffee:
Many of us older folks have been drinking coffee for longer than many of you younger folks have been on this planet. Coffee has become a routine for many. As one gets older coffee/caffeine can have some detremental effects: Cardalogical or digestive. A friend of mine who was a heavy coffee drinker had a heart attact. His cardiologist put him on decaf coffee to keep his rythum corrected. I on the other hand started having heart burn (digestive) when drinking strong coffee or having more than 3 cus per day. I grind Guatemalian whole bean coffee and mix it with Columbian decaf whole bean coffee. (50/50). I quit having the heart burn. At night I only drink the decaf coffee. My wife drinks hot tea all day long. She has digestive issues that may or may not be tea related. I can get heart burn from eating chocolate. It too has caffine. There is significant evidence caffine is addictive.

Well after the cocaine and other drugs I’m sure my heart can handle caffeine lol caffeine does and never has done anything for me. But we shall see lol
Caffeine never really phased me either. Cold drink as much as I wanted right up til bed time and sleep like like a brick almost as fast as my head hit the pillow. I think electrolyte imbalance was the bigger part of my issue. As long as I am consistent on drinking my electrolyte mix everyday, my rhythm stays good even if I do have a caffeine drink.

Have you had an actual sleep analysis done? Or are you going off your impression of your sleep?
I agree with what you're getting at. I read somewhere that while you may fall asleep after drinking coffee, it will prevent Rem sleep so you feel like garbo the next day

Are you people caaarrraaaaaaaaazzzzyy? Quit coffee, coffee, coffee?? Get outta here!!!

I quit smoking 16+ years ago the day my daughter was born and I’ve lost weight and have gotten much more fit. I’m in my mid fifties and still am not on one medication. Not a thing. I plan on keeping my healthier lifestyle as a way of living but I’m not dropping coffee but to those that feel the need, knock yourself out!!

Are you people caaarrraaaaaaaaazzzzyy? Quit coffee, coffee, coffee?? Get outta here!!!

I quit smoking 16+ years ago the day my daughter was born and I’ve lost weight and have gotten much more fit. I’m in my mid fifties and still am not on one medication. Not a thing. I plan on keeping my healthier lifestyle as a way of living but I’m not dropping coffee but to those that feel the need, knock yourself out!!
The things we will do for our kids… it’s as if we love them or something silly like that. That is an amazing feat to quit smoking but a worth wild one. It’s kind of funny that we are both mid 50’s and both gave up one of our cravings 16 years ago.
Don’t blink, that tear jerking Daddy/Daughter dance isn’t far away… but you will be in great shape to walk her down the isle.

The things we will do for our kids… it’s as if we love them or something silly like that. That is an amazing feat to quit smoking but a worth wild one. It’s kind of funny that we are both mid 50’s and both gave up one of our cravings 16 years ago.
Don’t blink, that tear jerking Daddy/Daughter dance isn’t far away… but you will be in great shape to walk her down the isle.
We were at the hospital after my wife gave birth to her. They were showing new parents a film on SIDs. I never smoked in the house ever but they said there was a strong correlation of smoke residue on clothes and on your hands. That scared me bad. I would always wash my hands after smoking but you could still smell it on your fingers even after washing. I was done right then and there forever!!

Back