• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Tree Setup Discussion

You want deer at your 2 o clock as a rightie? For me, that's like worst case scenario. If so, please elaborate.

Or did you mean 9 o clock plus or minus 2 hours? Maybe I read you wrong as "from 9 to 2 oclock".
Not ideally, like 10-12 is perfect, but I can swing around the backside of the tree to shoot usually all the way to 2-3, sometimes more.

But yes, going past that, where you have to move your feet any way you slice it, is worst case scenario.

Not ideally, like 10-12 is perfect, but I can swing around the backside of the tree to shoot usually all the way to 2-3, sometimes more.

But yes, going past that, where you have to move your feet any way you slice it, is worst case scenario.

I'd rather swing backward to 6 oclock (or even 5 or 4) than attempt 2 oclock (especially from a platform).

If the spot allows, I will generally try to setup facing somewhat north if I expect the majority of movement or shots to be from 9-12 or 12 -3. That keeps the sun out of my face am or pm and mostly dont have to move to watch the highest odds directions of movement. And if down wind is the lowest odds of movement, I usually depend on hearing them before seeing them. Even if I dont hear them, not worrying about whats back there and turning around limits movement they can bust you on.

If the spot allows, I will generally try to setup facing somewhat north if I expect the majority of movement or shots to be from 9-12 or 12 -3. That keeps the sun out of my face am or pm and mostly dont have to move to watch the highest odds directions of movement. And if down wind is the lowest odds of movement, I usually depend on hearing them before seeing them. Even if I dont hear them, not worrying about whats back there and turning around limits movement they can bust you on.

worst part of saddle hunting....only thing I don't like really.....is that your 6 is not covered by the tree so deer can sneak up on you in that direction and see you itching your nose because you didn't see them coming....when i'm set up on wet/quiet days where a deer could approach my 6 it is kind of stressful......i sometimes bring a small plastic mirror or wear a rower's cap mirror on my hat

worst part of saddle hunting....only thing I don't like really.....is that your 6 is not covered by the tree so deer can sneak up on you in that direction and see you itching your nose because you didn't see them coming....when i'm set up on wet/quiet days where a deer could approach my 6 it is kind of stressful......i sometimes bring a small plastic mirror or wear a rower's cap mirror on my hat
I really only worry about that if there is little to no back cover. Just keep movements small and slow.

There are almost too many scenarios to account for in any given post lol! My preferred height is the minimum height for maximum effective range, but with either great break-up cover OR high enough to get out of the deer's direct line of sight. Given the perfect scenario, as a righty, I typically would choose to have the deer come from 10-11 o'clock; but in the real world anything from 10-2 o'clock is absolutely workable, but not always able to be accounted for...

A quick sketch to show what I do, and what I think @raisins is referring to. First sketch is the larger picture of how I try to position my platform on the tree with respect to my anticipated target. Again, I'm a right handed archer, things will work differently for left handers.

View attachment 101695

With that in mind I then typically orient myself something like the below sketch in the tree for my sit. By shifting myself, and my tether point, slightly to my right of the platform I can see virtually all of the area I'm hunting by just a swivel of my head back and forth. The stuff behind me is direct downwind so I'm not as worried about watching that. I'm typically knees to the tree so I'm as small a profile as I can manage, especially on single trunk trees. From this position I can shoot without needing to move from the 4 to 7 o'clock directions or I can rotate slowly left to get better footing and shoot more traditionally from the platform for the 6 to 11 o'clock positions. Putting the stick on the tree where I do allows me to make one step with my left foot to the stick for shots between 11 and 1 o'clock and by stepping both feet onto the stick I can now shoot from 1 back to 4 o'clock. This set up gives me full range of shooting and allows me to visually see anything approaching that isn't directly down wind without too much movement.

View attachment 101698
Just noticed this thread. I'll throw my 2 cents in. Every set up and scenario is different but in this one that's given If it were me, I would set up at 3 O'clock if I could. Many guys try to set up placing the strong side shot at their 9-10 for righties or 2-3 for lefties or face the most likely direction they expect deer to come from There is value in that but has burned me before. Now I try to place my back to the LEAST likely direction. When setting up I try to keep as much of the VISUAL field of play as I can in front of me. In this case the hunter is at 5. Assuming that there could potentially 2 way traffic on that trail by being focused in the 11 direction you could miss a sneaking deer coming in from 7 direction. Then add wind or rain, and that deer could be on top of you before you realize he's there. Now if you we are at the 3, we catch the the 11 deer out of our right eye AND the 7 deer out of our left eye. We would then have enough time to prepare for the shot. I'll give an example of why I do this now. several years ago my partner who was a rightie set up in one of my trees. the slam dunk strong side shot for me(leftie) was to the 3. It's a Double tree and set up differently than I would have. Anyway, The other direction was dang good also so he set up putting his back to the 3 spot and focused on his 9-10 because that was his strong shot. It was windy day and he was focused on other deer. A 155" 15pt we named Stickers came in from his right to 12 yds. He never noticed the deer coming in. He was unprepared. He Couldn't get around the tree. Sticker's hung around for bit and walked through my shooting lane at 3. He then got my partner's ground scent and was gone. Last time we saw him was in the headlights on the last day of the season. Not sure what happened to him but we Never saw him again.. Here's the point though. That was the BIGGEST buck he had ever seen while hunting ever. 25- 30 years of hunting. It was crunch time. Either get it done or don't. He screwed it up by not setting up so he could pay attention to the whole area. He was focused on one spot. I was tagged out already but if I wasn't and it was me hunting there that day, I would've set up w/ my back to the river (Cause they ain't coming that way!) I would've been able to see to my left, right and out in front. I'll never know but I think I would've killed him. I have other encounter's where it was me that screwed up. Now when ever I set up, whenever possible I try to put my back to the LEAST likely direction deer will come from. That my 2 cents.

Just noticed this thread. I'll throw my 2 cents in. Every set up and scenario is different but in this one that's given If it were me, I would set up at 3 O'clock if I could. Many guys try to set up placing the strong side shot at their 9-10 for righties or 2-3 for lefties or face the most likely direction they expect deer to come from There is value in that but has burned me before. Now I try to place my back to the LEAST likely direction. When setting up I try to keep as much of the VISUAL field of play as I can in front of me. In this case the hunter is at 5. Assuming that there could potentially 2 way traffic on that trail by being focused in the 11 direction you could miss a sneaking deer coming in from 7 direction. Then add wind or rain, and that deer could be on top of you before you realize he's there. Now if you we are at the 3, we catch the the 11 deer out of our right eye AND the 7 deer out of our left eye. We would then have enough time to prepare for the shot. I'll give an example of why I do this now. several years ago my partner who was a rightie set up in one of my trees. the slam dunk strong side shot for me(leftie) was to the 3. It's a Double tree and set up differently than I would have. Anyway, The other direction was dang good also so he set up putting his back to the 3 spot and focused on his 9-10 because that was his strong shot. It was windy day and he was focused on other deer. A 155" 15pt we named Stickers came in from his right to 12 yds. He never noticed the deer coming in. He was unprepared. He Couldn't get around the tree. Sticker's hung around for bit and walked through my shooting lane at 3. He then got my partner's ground scent and was gone. Last time we saw him was in the headlights on the last day of the season. Not sure what happened to him but we Never saw him again.. Here's the point though. That was the BIGGEST buck he had ever seen while hunting ever. 25- 30 years of hunting. It was crunch time. Either get it done or don't. He screwed it up by not setting up so he could pay attention to the whole area. He was focused on one spot. I was tagged out already but if I wasn't and it was me hunting there that day, I would've set up w/ my back to the river (Cause they ain't coming that way!) I would've been able to see to my left, right and out in front. I'll never know but I think I would've killed him. I have other encounter's where it was me that screwed up. Now when ever I set up, whenever possible I try to put my back to the LEAST likely direction deer will come from. That my 2 cents.
We need a drawing diagram of this....ala MattMan81

This why I now try to put my 6 at the least likely direction deer will come from. Regardless of my strong side or weak side shot. If I see them coming, I have enough time to prepare. I can spin on my platform in seconds and be ready. Basically I'm trying to avoid "oh crap! Where did he come from?" I have had that happen lot's of times over the years. That's Not ideal when your trying draw a bow undetected.

This why I now try to put my 6 at the least likely direction deer will come from. Regardless of my strong side or weak side shot. If I see them coming, I have enough time to prepare. I can spin on my platform in seconds and be ready. Basically I'm trying to avoid "oh crap! Where did he come from?" I have had that happen lot's of times over the years. That's Not ideal when your trying draw a bow undetected.
I agree completely. I will still take best available cover position that provides me a shot but all things being equal I always try to set up with the wind directly in my face. This is my point in post 8 of this thread where, if I'm setup on a telephone pole (most of the trees that seem to be available for me where I want them :tearsofjoy:), I will rotate on the tree to sit where I can look directly into almost all the up wind area without needing to rotate my torso.

I agree completely. I will still take best available cover position that provides me a shot but all things being equal I always try to set up with the wind directly in my face. This is my point in post 8 of this thread where, if I'm setup on a telephone pole (most of the trees that seem to be available for me where I want them :tearsofjoy:), I will rotate on the tree to sit where I can look directly into almost all the up wind area without needing to rotate my torso.
I understand what saying now. Your setup w/ the hope that the deer will be coming directly from upwind so your focusing on that direction. For me and my area One of the best set ups I have ever found is very similar to your diagram. Just throw in more trails that intersect in front of the tree. Even the wind direction is the same. However my deer travel in both directions paralleling the river. If I don't put my 6 at the river then they can and will ghost in from my left. A Consistent spot that produces big buck encounters every year. I had another new tree this year very similar as well. I forgot about keeping my back to the river though. The tree was a leaner and forced me to set up differently than i normally would. (I should've chosen a different tree). Anyway I was focused on a a major trail hub and scrape next to a bedding area out in front of me. I ignored an approach trail at my 6 cause I thought no way would a big buck cross that open area.. Wrong! Big doe came in w/ a REAL nice 8pt. I Never heard or saw them coming. I just happened to look over my shoulder. She had already picked me off and took him w/ her. He never saw me. I most likely would have had an opportunity at that buck If I was in a tree that allowed me to set up w/ my 6 at the river, down wind of the scrape and within bow range. My plan A tree was hollow so my screw in steps won't hold. So I went w/ plan B tree. Plan B was obviously wrong. Time for Plan C. There's another tree at that spot. However it's 35 yds away from the scrape which is little further than I like which is why I discounted it originally. After further review it has lot going for it. Great cover, good height, down wind of all the trails and the scrape, my 6 is at the river and great access. It's literally 30 yds from the river and I can park my boat 50 yds away. They'll never know I'm coming or see me leave nor will they cross my ground scent. Should be a good spot . Time will tell. For sure though I won't get busted by deer coming from behind me. So now as a general rule I try to put my 6 in the least likely direction deer will come from. Sometime the tree won't allow that but I try to as much as I can. As long as the deer can't smell me, I pay little attention the the actual direction.

Last edited:
A quick sketch to show what I do, and what I think @raisins is referring to. First sketch is the larger picture of how I try to position my platform on the tree with respect to my anticipated target. Again, I'm a right handed archer, things will work differently for left handers.

View attachment 101695

With that in mind I then typically orient myself something like the below sketch in the tree for my sit. By shifting myself, and my tether point, slightly to my right of the platform I can see virtually all of the area I'm hunting by just a swivel of my head back and forth. The stuff behind me is direct downwind so I'm not as worried about watching that. I'm typically knees to the tree so I'm as small a profile as I can manage, especially on single trunk trees. From this position I can shoot without needing to move from the 4 to 7 o'clock directions or I can rotate slowly left to get better footing and shoot more traditionally from the platform for the 6 to 11 o'clock positions. Putting the stick on the tree where I do allows me to make one step with my left foot to the stick for shots between 11 and 1 o'clock and by stepping both feet onto the stick I can now shoot from 1 back to 4 o'clock. This set up gives me full range of shooting and allows me to visually see anything approaching that isn't directly down wind without too much movement.

View attachment 101698
Years of using a gun and crossbow, I have a hard time making myself do this with a bow

Some of it also is that I have spots where it's not possible to hunt when the deer are coming to you from the upwind side.

Another thing for me is I like to have my easiest side to make shots through on my weak side. If I need to thread the needle, I'd rather set those up on the strong side for a bow.

This won't be for everyone obviously but works for me.

Last edited:
This is a great thread! This is pretty much what I do but I am more left shoulder into the wind if defined movement can be predicted. So crosswind of movement.

In a come from anywhere situation I’m trying to set up with wind blowing into a ravine or thermal pulling my scent down into it away from movement as best as can be predicted. Loath entirely if wind changes and picks up over thermals I’ll stick it out anyway. That’s why I try to climb higher if possible.

Been setting more recently on almost a bad wind for me relying on quartering the general forecasted wind direction if I know a big buck bedding area early season or into mid pre rut. So a buck coming from the north on a southwest wind I’m crowding to the east as much as I can to “capture” most of the movement from 2 all the way around counter clockwise to 6 maybe even 5. Spotting to take advantage of as much potential movement as possible. This also assumes a terrain feature of some kind is blocking most movement from 2 to 6 clockwise. Or movement from that gap is virtually nonexistent.

This is a great thread! This is pretty much what I do but I am more left shoulder into the wind if defined movement can be predicted. So crosswind of movement.

In a come from anywhere situation I’m trying to set up with wind blowing into a ravine or thermal pulling my scent down into it away from movement as best as can be predicted. Loath entirely if wind changes and picks up over thermals I’ll stick it out anyway. That’s why I try to climb higher if possible.

Been setting more recently on almost a bad wind for me relying on quartering the general forecasted wind direction if I know a big buck bedding area early season or into mid pre rut. So a buck coming from the north on a southwest wind I’m crowding to the east as much as I can to “capture” most of the movement from 2 all the way around counter clockwise to 6 maybe even 5. Spotting to take advantage of as much potential movement as possible. This also assumes a terrain feature of some kind is blocking most movement from 2 to 6 clockwise. Or movement from that gap is virtually nonexistent.
I too think this is an interesting thread. Kudo's to the OP for posting it. I like to see how other guys approach different scenarios. I too also prefer a crosswind scenario.

I have a few questions. Not sure what you mean by "capture" the movement. Deer movement or Your movement? also crowding to the east? Do you mean Your body position on the tree or the tree position to the trail? Are you RH or LH?

Also on different note are you having much success on that "almost" bad wind?. The reason I ask is that I found some spots w/ tons of sign where I'm going to have to do this. Cutting it really close on a N wind but that's the only wind that we often get here that will work. Any kind of east wind will work but we rarely get it in the fall.

Back