• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

The OFFICIAL Windlass tourniquet ROS, Sticks, or platform attachment method.

Samcirrus

Vendor Rep
SH Member
I thought it'd be good for this idea to have its own thread. This is what I feel is the best way to make an amsteel rope or even 1" tree strap tight as possible while being both silent and very lightweight.
Here are a couple videos with the amsteel method, and below a video showing it with a 1" strap.

For those who don't use YouTube, more
pictures incoming.

I certainly like this bro. You done good here. Great idea and great execution. I need to rummage through my miscellaneous hardware bin for a rod and spacer.

How short can you go with the rod thingy? BTW, you need to give the thingy a name.
I think with the amsteel you could get away with shorter, say 4", but for convenience sake especially if you're wearing gloves and hanging from a rope in a tree, keep it at a 6" rod or bolt.
Its crazy but I find so many fiberglass tent rods out in the woods especially in woods around parks....the 3/8" rods work great!
A Torniquet strap....method.......
The Twist-it-tight strap......

I wouldn't do it with carbon shafts alone as they have a very low shear strength. And may splinter as they break, however if you could glue 1 inside the other then it'd be plenty strong enough! Or try filling an arrow shaft with epoxy. Also if your spacer/sleeve is strong then that'll take some of the shear load as well! Have fun testing....especially to where you think its just about to break or bend because there is a sweet spot like on a compound bow where the pressure on the rod suddenly feels lighter than it is.

Back