• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

"LAUGH AT YOUSELF" MOMENTS

Autumnrider

Just for laughs-----
I've had some funny things to happen while hunting and I just have to laugh at myself after it had happened.
Have you folks had any of those moments & would you share...?
Here is one....
I owned an old Whitetail Hunter treestand back in the 80's earmy 90's. One of those stands that had the "V" bar that goes around the tree. Any way, on my way into my hunting spot, I had to cross a deep ditch. In the process of crossing this ditch, all of the sudden, my feet left the ground and I was floating mid air over the ditch, then i was slammed into the opposite side of the ditch!! Gun barrel went in the ditch wall about 3", may I add, along with my chest, face & knees were also imprinted in the ditch wall!
Trying to figure out what was all broken and what just happened, I realized the tail of that stand jabbed into the ground on top of the ditch causeing me to be picked up and slammed into the far side ditch wall........
SO much noise and laughing that morning, no deer were seen either..

One year I was having a hell of a time getting my shotgun to group well with slugs. I went through several boxes of ammo and finally gave up. Sitting in a tree on opening day a deer crossed under my stand and I took a shot. When I cycled my shotgun for a follow up shot, the barrel, forend, and all the guts of my shotgun fell off and landed on the ground next to the deer. she stood there for a second, then went ten yards and fell over. There I was left with just a stock and receiver in my hand. Apparently the nut holding the barrel on had been working it's way loose and that's why it wouldn't straight earlier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^^^^
That shotgun one reminds me of the first time I ever had turkeys in range...
My dad worked this group of Jakes for what seemed like forever. They finally came in just as hot and fast as can be. Naturally, as a little kid, I was all worked up. I waited and waited until one rounded a cedar tree and lined my bead up. As I did, a second jake stuck his head out in line with the other, for what would have been an easy double kill at MAYBE 8 yards. I pulled the trigger and nothing... No click, no ping, no nothing. Safety was off, but we had put a camo cover on the slide, and it wouldn't let it move all the way forward to engage the firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some friends and I had been trying to hunt a particular piece of property in Fulton County for a while to no avail. Our opportunity finally came and with written permission in hand things couldn't have been better. The place was known to hold the bruisers and it was exclusively ours as long as we did the bush hogging and cleaned after ourselves. Very first hunt: arrived at property well before daylight, hit the ground running and totally jacked. Got to the tree I had chosen and realized that in my haste I had walked 1000 yds with a climber on my back but no bow. Totally frustrated and apparently out of my mind, I walked all the way back to the truck with my climber on my back. Bow was in the extended cab of the truck so I put the climber down so I could lean in to retrieve it. Scooped it up and off I went all the way back to the tree. Got to the tree with no climber. Amazed and fuming with frustration, I decided to ground hunt. Saw absolutely nothing for 4 hours. Went back to the truck where I was met by the property owner. His words " I hope you enjoyed the place, I was finally made the offer I couldn't refuse" SOLD. Never got to hunt it again

Another year in camp we decided to have chili the night before opening day. Well something was off in that chili and all of us suffered the next day. I was in a lone wolf climber and usually sit all day. That day, I pushed the limits of my bowels and stayed in my stand as long as I could before coming down. What I didn't factor in was all of the abdominal crunches required to climb down. I barely made it to the ground before I ran out of time. I quickly dropped my pants and as I was there squatting, there was a huge commotion and two shots in the woods behind my tree. All of the sudden three deer ran by within arms reach of my occupied throne. Then right behind them came 2 teenagers running and asking if I saw where their deer went. I got dressed and retrieved my stand and headed back to camp. I thought I had a story to tell but I was wrong. Another guy in camp didn't make it out of his tree in time and rather than miss time in the tree on opening day, he sat in his own filth until dark and then climbed down. He changed clothes at his truck and then came to camp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^^^^
That shotgun one reminds me of the first time I ever had turkeys in range...
My dad worked this group of Jakes for what seemed like forever. They finally came in just as hot and fast as can be. Naturally, as a little kid, I was all worked up. I waited and waited until one rounded a cedar tree and lined my bead up. As I did, a second jake stuck his head out in line with the other, for what would have been an easy double kill at MAYBE 8 yards. I pulled the trigger and nothing... No click, no ping, no nothing. Safety was off, but we had put a camo cover on the slide, and it wouldn't let it move all the way forward to engage the firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This makes me think of a similar story. I was probably 10 or 11 and my dad used to take me out on doe days. He would hang in his sling behind me while I sat on the front of the tree in a stand. Well wouldn't you know it the deer came right out into our shooting lane, I put up, aimed and pulled the trigger. He said that he could watch me jerking the gun back trying to get that trigger to pull. Whoops, forgot the safety! He still gives me a hard time about that one...

hmmmm... which one? I pulled a Huck before - walked in, climbed my summit up the tree and when I hoisted the bow up realized - no quiver. Walked back to the truck and at some point put down my release looking for my quiver which I couldn't find. Walked back to my climber and saw a teenager carrying my quiver (urban-ish hunt). He was happy that he "found" me so he could return it.... Climbed all the way back up, knocked my arrow and went to put on my release... Climbed back down and went drinking.

As a kid I fell asleep in the woods. Did a jerky sort of wake up and saw a tail and horns running away from me. I'm not sure which one of us was more startled as the buck must have gotten within 25 yards of me when I jerked awake. Would have been my first buck, but had to wait a few more years for that.

Missed two turkeys within in three days with my brand new Beretta with Fast Fire red dot mounted. After the second miss took my gun to our shooting lane, fired and had 6 pellets in a 12" circle.... friend strolled up about then and asked why I wasn't using the extended choke I had on the gun when we sighted our guns in pre-season... I had put a skeet choke in the gun to piss around and make sure it would cycle the low brass stuff. Never put my turkey choke back on. Drove home, replaced it and had almost 200 pellets in the same circle... didn't get another shot that season.

hmmmm... which one? I pulled a Huck before - walked in, climbed my summit up the tree and when I hoisted the bow up realized - no quiver. Walked back to the truck and at some point put down my release looking for my quiver which I couldn't find. Walked back to my climber and saw a teenager carrying my quiver (urban-ish hunt). He was happy that he "found" me so he could return it.... Climbed all the way back up, knocked my arrow and went to put on my release... Climbed back down and went drinking.

As a kid I fell asleep in the woods. Did a jerky sort of wake up and saw a tail and horns running away from me. I'm not sure which one of us was more startled as the buck must have gotten within 25 yards of me when I jerked awake. Would have been my first buck, but had to wait a few more years for that.

Missed two turkeys within in three days with my brand new Beretta with Fast Fire red dot mounted. After the second miss took my gun to our shooting lane, fired and had 6 pellets in a 12" circle.... friend strolled up about then and asked why I wasn't using the extended choke I had on the gun when we sighted our guns in pre-season... I had put a skeet choke in the gun to piss around and make sure it would cycle the low brass stuff. Never put my turkey choke back on. Drove home, replaced it and had almost 200 pellets in the same circle... didn't get another shot that season.

The things we all have done and it keeps happening.....that's what's funny, if you think about it..

My first year of hunting I was super stoked but with my work schedule I was always hunting on 2-3 hrs. sleep a day. Well one day I go in and get up in the tree and am all set. It was super dark and I am listening I can hear deer all around me. Well I must have nodded off because I woke up with the sun on my face and noticed a deer (which would have been my first) 10 yds away. I was so excited and so I pull back and realized I was not even holding my bow. I think I was still sorta sleeping Lol. In short the deer won that encounter.

Another time I was hunting a heavy pressured area of state land and I was in a climber probably 20-25ft up. I see off in the distance a hunter walking towards my direction. He looked like he was headed back to the parking area so I did not make a sound and just was gonna let him pass. Well he stops literally at the base of my tree and drops his pants. Taking a dump right below me. I then say "What the hell". That guy jumped up sooo fast and started running and all I could think was this is how my day is starting off. LOL

While attending college in Virginia, I hunted in an ice storm. Not sure what possessed me to do that, it made no sense. But I was young, dumb, and full of whatever. The trees were frozen so I couldn't climb them. I sat on the ground and got pelted by ice like an idiot. Eventually four does wandered by. I went to reach for my bow, but my clothes were frozen solid. The sound I made cracking all the ice off was obscene. Those deer ran at least 3 counties away from the crazy ice cruncher guy.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back in the early 80s my buddy and me headed out for opening morning and it was sleeting. He was ground hunting and I was using my baker climbing stand. I got to my tree and assembled the stand and started my climb I got to about ten feet and hugged the tree and lifted my legs and stepped up and pushed my legs down to lock the stand. And the next thing I knew I was sliding down the tree bear hugging it all the way to the ground. When I hit the ground I knew my chest was all scratched up. And the next thing I saw was my buddy running over from where he had set up 50 yds away. needless to say I hunted from the ground also and neither one of us saw a deer that morning.

Back in the early 80s my buddy and me headed out for opening morning and it was sleeting. He was ground hunting and I was using my baker climbing stand. I got to my tree and assembled the stand and started my climb I got to about ten feet and hugged the tree and lifted my legs and stepped up and pushed my legs down to lock the stand. And the next thing I knew I was sliding down the tree bear hugging it all the way to the ground. When I hit the ground I knew my chest was all scratched up. And the next thing I saw was my buddy running over from where he had set up 50 yds away. needless to say I hunted from the ground also and neither one of us saw a deer that morning.

I knew when you said, "BAKER".
I was in a backer, shooting a bear whitetail hunter bow one morning. I was 15 years old I think, and it was pretty warm.
I had a few deer and a small 6 pt, which was big to me back then, coming down the creek bank in front of me.
I went to draw my bow and the rubber stretch tubing that was connected to my peep slipped off the peep and it either popped me or just scared me, I can't remember which took place, but when it did, I must have shifted my weight and the baker started sliding down the tree. The stand decides to grab hold before it hitting the ground ( don't think it grabbed hold, just the tree was wide at the base) causing me to bounce, like a diving board, out onto the ground.
I did not get hurt, but that baker is probably still on that tree.

I knew when you said, "BAKER".
I was in a backer, shooting a bear whitetail hunter bow one morning. I was 15 years old I think, and it was pretty warm.
I had a few deer and a small 6 pt, which was big to me back then, coming down the creek bank in front of me.
I went to draw my bow and the rubber stretch tubing that was connected to my peep slipped off the peep and it either popped me or just scared me, I can't remember which took place, but when it did, I must have shifted my weight and the baker started sliding down the tree. The stand decides to grab hold before it hitting the ground ( don't think it grabbed hold, just the tree was wide at the base) causing me to bounce, like a diving board, out onto the ground.
I did not get hurt, but that baker is probably still on that tree.
I used that stand for a few more years. Very carefully of course

I remember my dad telling me a story of a guy he worked with when I was a teenager. My dad's coworker was out rifle hunting in Michigan at the end of November. So he had a hunting suit on and needed to take a dump. So he found a log to set on and did his business. For the rest of the day he would get a bad wiff of something. He checked his boots numerous times and couldn't ever find the source until he got home for the night. The guy had dropped his load in the hood of his hunting suit. Then he went to work and told everyone about it.

Two years ago on opening day(first hunt out of the saddle), I did something I've only told a few people. Got to my hunting property well before first light, and pulled everything out my truck. I took my time getting dressed so I didn't sweat. I had every moment of my hunt planned out. All my gear was strategically organized so that I wouldn't have to make the same step twice. Once I was dressed I put my saddle on, grabbed my pack and headed for the woods. I tipped toed through the woods until I found a suitable tree to climb. I was able to climb quietly via climb sticks. Every step so far had been executed perfectly. Once I got my platform set ,I climbed on top of it and strapped myself to the tree. With a sigh of relief, I said "this is it". I reached to my left for my pull up rope and for one particular reason I couldn't place my hand on it.... I left my bow inside my truck

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Two years ago on opening day(first hunt out of the saddle), I did something I've only told a few people. Got to my hunting property well before first light, and pulled everything out my truck. I took my time getting dressed so I didn't sweat. I had every moment of my hunt planned out. All my gear was strategically organized so that I wouldn't have to make the same step twice. Once I was dressed I put my saddle on, grabbed my pack and headed for the woods. I tipped toed through the woods until I found a suitable tree to climb. I was able to climb quietly via climb sticks. Every step so far had been executed perfectly. Once I got my platform set ,I climbed on top of it and strapped myself to the tree. With a sigh of relief, I said "this is it". I reached to my left for my pull up rope and for one particular reason I couldn't place my hand on it.... I left my bow inside my truck

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I was in a climber and once I got settled, I reached for my bow rope and went to pull up the bow when I noticed that I did not latch the bow to the rope. Climbed down, latched rope, climbed up and finally got to hunt..

My dad took one of his friends who turned out to be a alcoholic up North to the cabin for firearm season to hunt. And his wife packed his clothes and gun for him. When he got home he was mad at his wife because she didn't pack any socks for him. She told him yes I did they where in your gun case. So needless to say she wasn't happy.

My dad took one of his friends who turned out to be a alcoholic up North to the cabin for firearm season to hunt. And his wife packed his clothes and gun for him. When he got home he was mad at his wife because she didn't pack any socks for him. She told him yes I did they where in your gun case. So needless to say she wasn't happy.
LOL!

Back