• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

2020 - the year of ...............

kyler1945

SH Member
We passed through the year of safety without someone dying(and it being documented) in a saddle. How we accomplished that feat is beyond me. The amount of sketchy ****being done in and around trees has even a cynic like me a bit perplexed. Alas, I think the efforts of those looking out for their fellow men(and ladies! We have ladies around here now! Straighten up fellows!) was effective.

Going out of your way to make one post about a hazard may have saved someone’s life. Pat yourselves on the back! I know I am...

Now, as we are on the doorstep of 2020, I wonder what our fearless leader @redsquirrel will direct our attention to.

Im fully aware that this is a benevolent dictatorship, but maybe one of our ideas will spark something within the man behind the curtain. So toss out what we should be focusing on for the next trip around the ole ball of fire.

I’m thinking how to improve the perception of the hunting community would be an excellent choice.

Happy New Years ya freaks. Make it a good one!

My vote would be year of education.

To me it's simple: read and study. I believe there is a wealth of information here.
  • New folks read and digest before you ask "what's the best....?"
  • Pros don't settle for the way its always been
  • If you are in the middle pick something out of your comfort zone and try it (safely!)

That was 2018... sort of. At least that was what the trophy was awarded for.

I like year of education... like tactics and things. Maybe even do something like month per month. Like it’s March: go out and scout etc
Year of what I thought was awesome turned out to be kinda awesome but ideas in my head are beyond totally awesome.....

I agree on new stuff hitting the market
I look forward to us supporting one another instead of hacking each other’s ideas and making a spin off ourselves.
I am going to have a product on the market hopefully by start of next season that I think a lot of people would find useful and won’t cost an arm and a leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow we made it through 2019 without there being documentation of death or life altering injury. This is a good thing. I really like your idea @kyler1945 on improving the way the general public perceives hunters.

If I have to give a different idea....
This year I've heard of a lot of people taking questionable shots. There has been a couple threads on it already, but I think we need to commit ourselves to taking more ethical shots.

Somehow we made it through 2019 without there being documentation of death or life altering injury. This is a good thing. I really like your idea @kyler1945 on improving the way the general public perceives hunters.

If I have to give a different idea....
This year I've heard of a lot of people taking questionable shots. There has been a couple threads on it already, but I think we need to commit ourselves to taking more ethical shots.

I was going to suggest this, but was afraid to! Fact is, bowhunting can cause unnecessary suffering, and an effort to reduce that is a good thing. Maybe it’s social media that has exposed me to it, but man I’m hearing bad shot / tracking stories constantly. Last year at a property I hunt with 3 other guys I brought a target to our parking area, said let’s shoot before we head out. Two guys had broadheads that were flying terrible; that simple idea created the accountability to get our group dialed in a little more.

I like the idea of the year of education. It would be nice if PROVEN experts in certain fields could share a lot of knowledge on a particular subject. I know there are threads out there like this to an extent but they are polluted with comments that don't relate to the subject or others giving advice that they probably shouldn't give. Threads that come to mind immediately would be something like sewing instructed by @ckossuth or @Squirrels, some form of tactics by @Dewey, @flinginairos ,etc, and so on. Wouldn't have to be too crazy but every bit of information helps and I am willing to listen.

I like the idea of the year of education. It would be nice if PROVEN experts in certain fields could share a lot of knowledge on a particular subject. I know there are threads out there like this to an extent but they are polluted with comments that don't relate to the subject or others giving advice that they probably shouldn't give. Threads that come to mind immediately would be something like sewing instructed by @ckossuth or @Squirrels, some form of tactics by @Dewey, @flinginairos ,etc, and so on. Wouldn't have to be too crazy but every bit of information helps and I am willing to listen.

I fully plan on putting out a lot more quality content this year! Fully open to suggestions on what people want to see!

I fully plan on putting out a lot more quality content this year! Fully open to suggestions on what people want to see!

I think something that is lacking a lot in the video world is how to execute the final moments of a hunt- from when a deer is first seen approaching and it’s obvious it will be coming in range, until the moment the arrow is loosed. Lots of reading material on it. And something that can be had with experience. But I think some videos going over how to execute these situations, what to pay attention to, etc, would be great for new folks.

It will gather a lot more respect coming from the high body count folks such as yourself!

Back