• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Aluminum Platform Build

ADKMtnTrapper

I really liked DaveT's platform set up but i dont have a Lone wolf seat laying around and i wanted something a little lower profile so i decided id hit the drafting board and make my own! I came up with this so that i can fold it flat if i want to abd be able to remove it and put in on another stick if need be.

I started with makig a sketch to scale to get an idea of the size i wanted. Then i went to Home D and picked up a piece of 1 1/2x1/8x48" piece of aluminum and brought it home and started bending. I ended up short on aluminum and had to go buy more. And this is what i came up with

4ba1dee2e8aee3cf4cf7c7db1a298060.jpg

Then to make it simple i used 3 other pieces to reinforce the main piece. The first piece is one single long piece.

15281f761997687c8f89e7bd9e227d97.jpg

Then i drilled 2 holes in the ears of the platform. The upper goes through the center of my heilum stick. The other i drilled so that when i put a bolt through it would rest against the stick keeping it perpendicular to the climbing stick. The pic below shows the configuration and my test run to show how the finish product will sit. Mind you these bolts are not my final product i still had to go out and buy some grade 8 bolts at this point. I put these in so i could cut and bend the two final pieces.

d5dcc62380c9b4e40ec6873b9f19c84f.jpg

ee761e24eb1e76377761908547bb37d8.jpg

Then i cut my other pieces and drilled them to fit. Once i bent them up to where i wanted i took my other long piece and marked where the bars intersected. Then i measure half the width of the bar (3/4") then cut a groove just slightly wider then the bar so the two intersecting bars would fit into eachother. (Sorry if im loosing some of you this part was hard to explain hopefully the pic below will make sense)

4ec7582abd7a362b20be902b2344348b.jpg

Below is my semi final product, i put it on a smaller piece of climbing stick because i am sending it out to be welded by my brothers coworker.

61b20028a77379e9e2d028a935a1faa5.jpg

Once i get it back next week im going to test it out then if its a green light ill camo it and start using it! If youre interested in making one your self below is a supply list and when i get my drawing back ill post that with measurements.

1 1/2x1/8x96" Aluminum flat bar -$18
1- 1/4x3" grade 8 bolt - $2
1-5/16x3" grade 8 bolt - $2
2- locking nuts - $1
4- washers - $1
Total is around $25 i didnt keep specific track of cost.

As always this is of my own invention so build at your own risk and always play it safe!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I plan on using it for my one stick method and i am going to use one of my 6" scrap pieces to test out a lightweight version that i can use with preset trees. Once i know it will work im going to get started on that.

That looks great. I bet it works great too.
I've got something that i intend to use the same way, but i didn't personally build it. Some of the guys at work were building an aluminum rack to mount to the receiver on the truck to carry deer and other stuff. They messed up on one of them and I was given the messed up piece. I cut it so that it is about twenty inches wide and eight inches deep. It's welded aluminum angle and it should be plenty strong. I just have to mount it so I can use it as a platform. I might need a screen of some sort to stand on, but I might just leave it as is and just put grip tape on it. I'll put a picture on here of my piece when I go back outside in a little bit

Shaun
5320804a96b78a54e42699501ded5a27.jpg
3e2b7011cfa1faf85b5a580727785f10.jpg

Outstanding - let us know how it holds up. Some of you guys are really talented - makes my DIYs look like grade school. :D

Re: RE: Re: Aluminum Platform Build

ImThere said:
What does it weigh? It looks like it will work great

the one and only "ImThere"
I havent weighed it yet, i dont have a good scale to wiegh it but i will try once i get it back.

Thank you to everyone for the compilments! I hope once i get it back i have a few other ideas i would like to try if it tests out. I must say i impressed myself with how the end product came out ive never fabricated anything from metal.

Not yet my brothers been out of work this week(he put a 4" grinder into the back of his hand!) But he should be stopping by work this coming week.

I finally got my platform back last night! The guy who welded it was out sick for awhile so it took longer than expected but it looks good. He didn't do a perfect job but hey the price was right so I cant complain! I haven't gotten a chance to put it on my stick but I should be able to get out tomorrow with it and ill take some pictures.

Looking forward to reading your review. I haven't even been in my saddle for the last week. Work has been crazy. Remodeling executive suites for a bank. A ceiling made of pennies, a $58k chair, etc. Crazy stuff to a country boy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

e09e685b630a635d044f6b7aa2119dc6.jpg

Welp.... that was an expensive test! Platform held up fine but where the bolt that held against stick caused to much pressure and bent the stick. Im sure i can bend it back but i dont know if it will still be safe.....

So i used one of my scrap pieces when i cut it down to make a compact platform. I wouldnt be able to climb efficiently with it but if i had gaffs could get to hunting height and set it.

1251da8006b98d2c7112fb51b390c576.jpg

2b2e823fe619e48e9ed9a1899a9d90c7.jpg

I am hoping the shorter distance between contact points between the tree and stick will help strengthen it otherwise i might be SOL....

ADKMtnTrapper said:

Welp.... that was an expensive test! Platform held up fine but where the bolt that held against stick caused to much pressure and bent the stick. Im sure i can bend it back but i dont know if it will still be safe.....

So i used one of my scrap pieces when i cut it down to make a compact platform. I wouldnt be able to climb efficiently with it but if i had gaffs could get to hunting height and set it.

I am hoping the shorter distance between contact points between the tree and stick will help strengthen it otherwise i might be SOL....

That was a learning experience and it appears you learned. You came up with the next plan pretty quick and it looks like it'll be an improvement.I like it . I already thought you were putting it on a shortened stick anyway. To me, that's the way to go , having it's own"stick" is a good move I think. If it isn't strong enough still, then I'd think you could use a short length of something aluminum or steel and attach The legs to it. You'll figure this out.
The platform looks great. Can't wait to see what you come up with for carrying it and camo - ing it up

essdub said:
That was a learning experience and it appears you learned. You came up with the next plan pretty quick and it looks like it'll be an improvement.I like it . I already thought you were putting it on a shortened stick anyway. To me, that's the way to go , having it's own"stick" is a good move I think. If it isn't strong enough still, then I'd think you could use a short length of something aluminum or steel and attach The legs to it. You'll figure this out.
The platform looks great. Can't wait to see what you come up with for carrying it and camo - ing it up

I was hoping to have it set up so I could inter change both of them incase I wanted to use the one stick method but unless I find a different way to do it I will just have to stick with the short stick. I was thinking of using a length of cable and tie it off at the top of the stick and bolt it to the platform. I just think it is to many loose parts that will be prone to make noise but it is an option. Your idea sounds like a good idea as well I might have to give it a shot! What is your opinion on using another bracket in the middle of the stick to help with the support? Or would that make it slightly unstable against the tree?

I am also thinking of rigging the short stick platform up similar to how most climbing treestand's work. But time will tell, ill be testing it out this afternoon and if its a green light ill be sanding it down and will camo it up!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Aluminum Platform Build

ADKMtnTrapper said:
essdub said:

I was hoping to have it set up so I could inter change both of them incase I wanted to use the one stick method but unless I find a different way to do it I will just have to stick with the short stick. I was thinking of using a length of cable and tie it off at the top of the stick and bolt it to the platform. I just think it is to many loose parts that will be prone to make noise but it is an option. Your idea sounds like a good idea as well I might have to give it a shot! What is your opinion on using another bracket in the middle of the stick to help with the support? Or would that make it slightly unstable against the tree?

I am also thinking of rigging the short stick platform up similar to how most climbing treestand's work. But time will tell, ill be testing it out this afternoon and if its a green light ill be sanding it down and will camo it up!
I was actually going to suggest trying to add another brace (maybe a third of the way down from the top brace) to add rigidity to the stick. I have a muddy stick with a seat attached to the top of it that has three braces along it and it works fine (the seat isn't really working out as I wanted it to as platform but it does work well enough to practice from). I guess it depends on the tree how much each brace actually helps or hurts the stick to remain in place.
It seems like using the one stick method with your platform would be better if you used the one stick method AND your platform. But I'm sure that with the third brace on the full length stick that it would help increase the support the platform needs when weighted, and if you can comfortably quick connect/disconnect the platform (especially in dark) then it would be a great all in one stick method.

I love Helium sticks but they just would not be my first choice for using as a platform base. They just aren't thick (deep) enough IMO to stop the flexing.

DaveT1963 said:
I love Helium sticks but they just would not be my first choice for using as a platform base. They just aren't thick (deep) enough IMO to stop the flexing.

Yeah im finding that one out the hard way Dave :mrgreen: Based on your experience would a box style stick work better? I am really hoping that they short stick will work out form me its small enough I could fit it inside my pack if need be.

Back