• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ameristep screw in steps

nicholas buck

fellas

I just bought 35 ameristep screw in steps for $1 each off the clearance rack!! Check out meijer grosery store if you live near one.

They are a little harder to get started than the cranford ez steps but I am going to try and sharpen the tips with a bench grinder to help get them started easier. Has anyone ever tried this? If so any tips?

Secondly I am working on designing a custom tree step bag to keep the steps silent when walking to the stand and climbing up tree to install them. This will be a custome sewing job to make the fit on the belt of a guidos web. I'll post pics when finished.

Never tried to sharpen them, but guessing that has little to do with it. The profile is what makes a difference. I bought them by the case when menards had them on sale. They weren't ameristep, but they started easy. Next yr I saw they had a different design that was more pointy. I bought a case of those when they went on sale. They looked like they would be easier, but they suck. Nothing beats cranford.

I use these for all my pre-sets. Get this tool for putting them in: http://www.treesteptool.com/
I buy them in bulk when they go on a sale. I average 22-26 steps to set up a full tree, so I go through a lot. I have over 400 steps in the woods. These steps are more work to put in even with the tool, so I only use them for pre-set trees.

I use these for all my pre-sets. Get this tool for putting them in: http://www.treesteptool.com/
I buy them in bulk when they go on a sale. I average 22-26 steps to set up a full tree, so I go through a lot. I have over 400 steps in the woods. These steps are more work to put in even with the tool, so I only use them for pre-set trees.

400 steps... I thought I was over doing it buying 60. Now I don't feel so bad. I think I'll go buy more then.... lol

I was able to get about 200 of the gorilla brand steps a couple of years ago for $1 each. I like those as they are a little thicker

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have the same style tool as Red. I bent the first one, owner replaced it under warranty. Its light so ya need to keep that in mind. Its not for breaking lose an old step or forcing a step around one more time. Works well though and way lighter than the tank built ameristep one I had years ago. The soft mallet piece works great for starting stubborn steps. A few raps and your good to go.

You got me thinking about how many I have in the woods as well , I have to be close to your 400 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got me thinking about how many I have in the woods as well , I have to be close to your 400 lol

Nice! I have to go around and break down tree's that I've stopped using to replenish my stock.

Do you leave your steps in the tree year round?

Some no , some for a couple seasons ..... leaving 20+ steps per tree gets expensive. Plus there seems to be more treestand and trail camera thieves these days ... I really like this saddle idea and wish I started using it a long time ago.

Will the steps stay tight to the tree leaving them in the tree that long?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Not only will they stay tight, the tree will start to grow around them. They need to be backed out periodically.

I use a compact 20v dewalt drill and a 3/8" drill bit. A little extra weight, but the prepping goes so much faster. I even thought about buying a drill holster, but everything can fit into an older rocky fanny sack I have - drill w/ bit, mallet, and 20-30 tree steps. It's heavy but i usually sling it over my shoulder.

I also carry a rubber mallet into woods with me know to get those steps in that extra turn or two.

All of my preset trees are setup using a combination of grizzly steps and the regular step up steps by ameristep. I use the grizzly steps for my platform because of their width and the step ups for my ladder. I had some gorilla steps which i used too but found they are too narrow for anything but climbing.

I have never seen them cheaper than $1.50 each when they are on sale.... i'll have to visit meijer though and see if they're on clearance by me. Meijer doesn't run their clearance at the same time so what one store may have on sale another may not.

Back