• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel as tether

Daneer1717

Is there a reason to not use amsteel for a Tether? I've never seen amsteel, and don't know much about it, other than it's ridiculously strong.

Just surprised at the strength of the rope and nobody seems to be using it for a tether. Makes me think there must be a reason to not use it for that application.

Thanks,

Is there a reason to not use amsteel for a Tether? I've never seen amsteel, and don't know much about it, other than it's ridiculously strong.

Just surprised at the strength of the rope and nobody seems to be using it for a tether. Makes me think there must be a reason to not use it for that application.

Thanks,
It is hard to use safely as a tether. The easiest way is 1 large whoopie sling. When you set it up like this it actually kinda hard to adjust, especially if you need to make a small change. I have thought about putting 2 whoopie slings together, 1 around the tree and 1 attached to the bridge. But samson's splicing recommendations recommend quite a long bury, which ends up limiting the size of the whoopie and therefore how small you can adjust it to.

Amsteel is not very abrasion resistant. It doesn't handle tree bark very well in my opinion. However, a lot of guys are using it as a rope replacement on their LW/Helium sticks, so it must not be that bad. I would think it would begin to look frayed very quickly.

If I was going to use it as a tether, I'd buy ten foot of 5/16 (avg strength of 13,700 lbs) and two foot of 1/4 (avg strength of 8,600 lbs) as a prussic. Smaller diameter Amsteel ropes work well as prussic as long as the main line is a larger diameter. I'd put a locked brummel hitch in the 5/16 to use as a girth hitch. Then I'd make a continuous loop out of the 1/4".

Post pics if you decide to do it.

I personally would not recommend it. Certainly now with a ropeman or Kong Duck as it crushes easily. I am not sure I would trust a prussic on it either as it is slick. As G2 stated it frays. I personally think there are better ropes like the Samson Ultratek for tethers at just a little more weight.

Thank you for the replies. Where is the best place to get the Samson rope? What would you recommend for a prussic to use with the 9mm Samson rope.

I have a ropeman 1 that I plan on using for my linesman rope. But once set I really don't adjust up or down and prefer a prussic.

I also have seen black generic 10mm kernmantle static rope that claims 6,000lbs strength. Best to avoid this rope?

Been saddle hunting for years now. Amazing how little I know. Thank you for sharing all of this information.

Thank you for the replies. Where is the best place to get the Samson rope? What would you recommend for a prussic to use with the 9mm Samson rope.

I have a ropeman 1 that I plan on using for my linesman rope. But once set I really don't adjust up or down and prefer a prussic.

I also have seen black generic 10mm kernmantle static rope that claims 6,000lbs strength. Best to avoid this rope?

Been saddle hunting for years now. Amazing how little I know. Thank you for sharing all of this information.
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1675
I like to stick to brands that I know and have good reputations personally. I don't want to put my life on something I don't know and trust. I would rather spend the extra few bucks if necessary.

Good choice.

I have lots of Amsteel in my DIY bin, but wouldn't choose it for a tether. There are better options.

Samson Ultratech or Predator is tough to beat for a tether.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Good choice.

I have lots of Amsteel in my DIY bin, but wouldn't choose it for a tether. There are better options.

Samson Ultratech or Predator is tough to beat for a tether.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

What would you recommend for a prussic rope? 7mm or 8mm?

Thread hoping a bit, from a 2014 post where you cut off your linemans belt and used an awl to sew loops onto your TL. The one complaint I have about my TL is that I can't put a rope linemans belt and have to hook metal to metal on the back side of the tree. How did that mod work? Do you have pictures that I could see?

What would you recommend for a prussic rope? 7mm or 8mm?

Thread hoping a bit, from a 2014 post where you cut off your linemans belt and used an awl to sew loops onto your TL. The one complaint I have about my TL is that I can't put a rope linemans belt and have to hook metal to metal on the back side of the tree. How did that mod work? Do you have pictures that I could see?
I don't have any pics on my phone. I'll try to dig some up.

Basically I cut off the 2 straps about 8" in front of the saddle. Then I sewed them I to loops with my awl. I'll try to find pics. It was a great mod.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

That makes more sense. I cut mine off right at the end of the saddle. Wish I would have read that thread first.

My idea was to run 1 inch webbing around the back of the saddle and tie waterknots off at my right and left hip. Know I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the 1" webbing into the saddle. Thougths?

@Daneer1717, @g2outdoors and I are not the best ones to ask regarding prussiks. We both use ropeman 1's. There are guys on here who are much more educated than us on prussiks and appropriate diameter ropes.

That makes more sense. I cut mine off right at the end of the saddle. Wish I would have read that thread first.

My idea was to run 1 inch webbing around the back of the saddle and tie waterknots off at my right and left hip. Know I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the 1" webbing into the saddle. Thougths?
You could sew tubular webbing loops. If you don't feel comfortable, find a seamstress or sew shop in your area with a commercial machine that can do it. Some marine repair shops will have access to heavy duty machines for repairing sails. If you get creative, you can find d a solution.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Does your tree saddle have molle style attachment loops? You could run the webbing up and down through them to keep it attached to your saddle.

Back