• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Amsteel splicing

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
To the guys who are splicing 1/4" amsteel.. how far are you burying the ends? I was just doing a bunch of research on splicing amsteel and I found out that you should be burying it 11 inches!! This seems like a bit of overkill to me but I want to see what everyone is actually doing.

Does the 11” count when doing a locked brummel, or just doing a bury alone for a loop? I usually do about 6” on my 1/8” whoopie slings on my fixed eyes... maybe I’m not doing enough... never had a slip though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the 11” count when doing a locked brummel, or just doing a bury alone for a loop? I usually do about 6” on my 1/8” whoopie slings on my fixed eyes... maybe I’m not doing enough... never had a slip though

Yes, that is for a locked brummel.
Splicing guide: http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents...C2_Whoopie_Sling_AmSteel_AmSteel-Blue_WEB.pdf
1 fid is 5.5 inches: http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/Splice Instructions/Tools_Required_for_Splicing_WEB.pdf

I talked with amsteel about this. Keep in mind that 1/4" amsteel blue is rated at over 8,000 lbs. That 11" bury means the rope would break before the bury slipped. A 10" bury might give at 7,800 lbs. I do a minimum of a 6" - 8" bury on everything. That may reduce the load rating to 4,000 or 5,000 thousand pounds, but Im comfortable with that load.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I talked with amsteel about this. Keep in mind that 1/4" amsteel blue is rated at over 8,000 lbs. That 11" bury means the rope would break before the bury slipped. A 10" bury might give at 7,800 lbs. I do a minimum of a 6" - 8" bury on everything. That may reduce the load rating to 4,000 or 5,000 thousand pounds, but Im comfortable with that load.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
Did they say that the recommendation was based off of reduced breaking strength? I had been assuming the long bury had to do with reducing the chance for any slippage. The only thing they mention in the literature I've found is that whoopie slings have their strength reduced to 70%.

I agree with you, I have no problem with reducing the breaking strength down to something like 5000 pounds from the original 8000. I don't want to have to worry about slippage though. I honestly can't see a 6" bury slipping on us and I was surprised to see the recommendation so long.

Did they say that the recommendation was based off of reduced breaking strength? I had been assuming the long bury had to do with reducing the chance for any slippage. The only thing they mention in the literature I've found is that whoopie slings have their strength reduced to 70%.

I agree with you, I have no problem with reducing the breaking strength down to something like 5000 pounds from the original 8000. I don't want to have to worry about slippage though. I honestly can't see a 6" bury slipping on us and I was surprised to see the recommendation so long.
No. But I believe your 70% figure is accurate for splicing in general.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

To the guys who are splicing 1/4" amsteel.. how far are you burying the ends? I was just doing a bunch of research on splicing amsteel and I found out that you should be burying it 11 inches!! This seems like a bit of overkill to me but I want to see what everyone is actually doing.

Good info and thanks. I'm new to this (got my saddle for Christmas) and setting up my platform now based off posts from this site and info on Youtube. Anyone have a good source for 1/4" Amsteel? Looks like R&W and Knot & Rope Supply are both about $35 for 20 feet. Ouch.

You need less bury as the size of the rope goes down, 6" may be enough for 1/8th

Wasnt actually free. Costed a buck. Send me your address and I”ll mail it to ya for saving me $13

Reactions: PJC
Back