• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

An early end to the season

musky19

Been really busy with work and training so my season didn't really get underway til this past Wednesday afternoon. Cooler temps had me looking forward to my second sit in my modified sit drag. After an hour and a half I saw a decent mature buck emerge from what I had suspected to be a bedding area. The buck was headed north, away from me and to the left, approximately 60-70 yds. out in thick cover. I flipped the can twice and he spun around and literally walked underneath me looking for the doe who he thought was nearby. I made a clean shot with him facing directly away from me 15 yds out. He ran about 30 yds and piled up. The next day, while dropping him off at a friends to be processed I was dragging him into the workshop when I backed into a trailer tongue. My right leg was stuck up in the air as I went backwards with my weight and the bucks on my left leg. Broken fibula, season over.

Ah that sucks but i hope you have a speedy healthy recovery. That is my worst fear getting injured during the season.

Dang. At least you got your buck and now have plenty of time to spend on here and modding the sit drag for next year.

Good grief.... I hope for a speedy recovery man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it. I'll be hunting vicariously through this blog throughout the rest of the season. Hopefully I'll get in some
late season black powder hunts. Wish everyone a safe and successful season.

Maybe get out in a ground blind with a video camera. Heck, come here and video me sitting in a tree and shooting a button buck. At least your out doors. Until then, heal up and enjoy your venison!!!

I was once dragging out a deer. I didn't realize I had my boot stuck in some rocks so it wouldn't turn. I gave the deer a full body yank... As soon as I felt the foot I dropped the deer and put all the weight on my other foot which was luckily my back foot where all my weight was going. I was lucky. Able to keep my balance and unlodge my foot.

I still picture myself where I was (middle of nowhere and not where anyone expected me) with a torn ligament in my knee or messed up ankle. I shot it around 2pm and nobody was expecting me back until after dark. That would have been a painful, long day!!!

Dang man that's rough! Hope you get to feeling better

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Last edited:
Bummer! At least you got a nice buck before it happened!

Back