• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Any new gear?

MtnCodger

SH Member
What new gear are you implementing into your arsenal this season? New bows, arrows, broadheads? Or saddles, stands, sticks? Let's talk about it!

I ordered a new Catfish Custom string for my bow and will be giving Zinger fletchings a go. Hoping to consider a new bow in the next year or so but keeping things budget friendly for now.

Working on a set of Fairy Dust arrows. Got to get smart on 2TC and more comfortable with SRT on a Garda hitch as per @John RB, otherwise I'm planning on 1-sticking. I've got some ideas to turn an old ruined daypack into a "turkey" vest but we'll see how much free time I have to devote to that idea.

Most exciting new gear I will be using this year is GA and MO tags. ;) Never hunted GA and havent been to MO in a long time. Also tackling new mountain ground here in AR.

May have some new clothing stuff to test if I can get my seamstress healed up from knee replacement but she is getting close. She's retired and mostly just fartin off. I call her mother. :tearsofjoy:

I might own more ropes than anyone who saddle hunts lol, but part of that is just because I hadn't found the perfect rope. I like RescTech for a doubled rope system, but feel that 8mm is a little small for every situation we may get ourselves into like wet conditions. It's about surface area, not just strength. I just got the two new ones from RockNArbor and I am climbing on em everyday. They sell in any length you want and will sew on an eye if you want it. Both are rugged and a little more stiff than RescTech, Oplux or Canyon Elite. I like that. I obviously don't have enough time on em to know how they will age and wear but I am not seeing any sheath creep like I see with other ropes. The 3/8 or 9.5 mm is pretty awesome. The 7/16 or 11.1 mm is a little more bulk than I prefer. 10% off with the JRB10 coupon code... that gets us to $1 per foot for the 9.5mm.

For your own safety, I'd like to see everyone ditch the short tethers and get on a rope which reaches the ground, use it the whole climb, and know how to rappel out of a jam. It doesn't matter how ya climb, ya need to be prepared for the day when you find yourself with nothing under your feet and hoping or assuming you can call someone to rescue you.

3fe4c2a54229de3bb2cf36bcfd2a8891.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I might own more ropes than anyone who saddle hunts lol, but part of that is just because I hadn't found the perfect rope. I like RescTech for a doubled rope system, but feel that 8mm is a little small for every situation we may get ourselves into like wet conditions. It's about surface area, not just strength. I just got the two new ones from RockNArbor and I am climbing on em everyday. They sell in any length you want and will sew on an eye if you want it. Both are rugged and a little more stiff than RescTech, Oplux or Canyon Elite. I like that. I obviously don't have enough time on em to know how they will age and wear but I am not seeing any sheath creep like I see with other ropes. The 3/8 or 9.5 mm is pretty awesome. The 7/16 or 11.1 mm is a little more bulk than I prefer. 10% off with the JRB10 coupon code... that gets us to $1 per foot for the 9.5mm.

For your own safety, I'd like to see everyone ditch the short tethers and get on a rope which reaches the ground, use it the whole climb, and know how to rappel out of a jam. It doesn't matter how ya climb, ya need to be prepared for the day when you find yourself with nothing under your feet and hoping or assuming you can call someone to rescue you.

3fe4c2a54229de3bb2cf36bcfd2a8891.jpg

Having a way to the ground is a great idea. Also using your tether as you climb is something I am going to do this year. I am also ditching aiders, I think, LOL.
My get my down in a situation is 2TC.
I am not saying it is as good as rapelling, but it should work.

@John RB, will the Ape Canyon 9.5 work well using your JRB Cinch? I'm in need of some new rope! I bought some Sterling HTP, but it is a little stiff for me. I think I'm going to sell it and get some of this rope........assuming it works with the JRB Cinch.

Last edited:
If time allows going back to a lighter mid 400s arrow this year, down from mid 500s.

Giving the Thertrd Ones a go, still have the one stick but might be back to the multi stick setup if they work out.

As someone who bounces between a saddle and a JX3 the Dryad sure is tempting.

Bought an HC Mini late last season and for certain special Ops it may be bumping the compound off of some hunts.

@John RB, will the Ape Canyon 9.5 work well using your JRB Cinch? I'm in need of some new rope! I bought some Sterling HTP, but it is a little stiff for me. I think I'm going to sell it and get some of this rope........assuming it works with the JRB Cinch.
I just tied this JRB Cinch for ya in the 9.5. On 8mm ropes, I prefer the small Rappel rings but on 9 and larger, like this, I use the Large Rappel Rings. In terms of performance, even though it is stiffer than Canyon Elite, in the cinch, the operational performance feels the same. Also in the photo, passing under the cinch is the larger 7/16 Ghillie Rope, for perspective. Because it's stiffer than some ropes, it isn't as easy to tie knots with it, and so tying the Buffalo Hitch to get it on the ring is a little more effort, but we only do that once, and once we get it set, it doesn't go anywhere. On the plus side, the stiffer rope makes it easier to advance up the tree and keep shape and not flop around.
08a2570f99f148f2c844a0e87ba38604.jpg

Perfect. When I order the rope I’ll pick up a large ring.
So, my contribution to this thread is that I will be switching to Ape Canyon 9.5 rope set up with the JRB Cinch “rigging”.

PS: Thank you @John RB for the input! Much appreciated.

Most exciting new gear I will be using this year is GA and MO tags. ;) Never hunted GA and havent been to MO in a long time. Also tackling new mountain ground here in AR.

May have some new clothing stuff to test if I can get my seamstress healed up from knee replacement but she is getting close. She's retired and mostly just fartin off. I call her mother. :tearsofjoy:
Don't let our GA deer disappoint you coming from the midwest :tearsofjoy:

Let's see DIY ebike this year and switching from single stick to 4 primal steps with knaider swaider. Using a mission platform. Also going from a pack to a vest system. Also a DIY climber/platform.
You got any details to share on your vest and climber/platform?

GA = snaaaake boots.... ;)

Last edited:
Trying @Robert loper's XOP Stryker pack saddle set up this year. New base layers. New RD Shatterproof 58 inch longbow, 43#@25. New LaCrosse rubber snake boots (expect to hunt more swampy areas). Small stuff like new shooting glove...etc, and making a new set of arrows.

Thinking about trying Simmons Timber Shark broadheads but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If time allows going back to a lighter mid 400s arrow this year, down from mid 500s.

Giving the Thertrd Ones a go, still have the one stick but might be back to the multi stick setup if they work out.

As someone who bounces between a saddle and a JX3 the Dryad sure is tempting.

Bought an HC Mini late last season and for certain special Ops it may be bumping the compound off of some hunts.
Any reason for lightening up your arrow weight other than speed?

I wanna try the Ones as well. I got a good deal on a third party site for Skeletors last season and I like them but the Ones pique my interest for the weight, solid step, etc

Where in Missouri?

My new 257 Roy Mark V deluxe. New Tuffhead 200 gr single bevels. Being a dummy tester for Tethrds carbon platform. And hoping for an Ebike depending if OT shows back up at work

Last edited:
Went from shooting a Bear Species ev to a Bowtech Cp28. Im only 5’6” with a 26dl so it’s a perfect bow for me.

Back