• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Back in the Saddle I Guess

JBDCPA

When I first started saddle hunting in 2020, I wasn’t super crazy about it. I started with a Hawk, then Tethrd and then Cruzr. The Cruzr saddle was fine but the Hawk sticks I was using gave me major heartburn and I hated hanging sticks so much I hated the saddle.

I tried different attachment methods and their stock straps are sketchy to begin with. Plus they are SO FAR off advertised weight. My 30” sticks with rope mod were 3.4lbs. So my local shop carries Trophyline. I recently bought their sticks and it was so much better I decided to try a hang on. I can’t use my climber on my property. I bought the Hawk Ultra Lite that started out as 7#, went to 9# and the box now says 11#. Well mine weighs 13.24#.

These Trophyline/Novix sticks bite like nothing I’ve ever had. I guess that LW batwing thing just works. I no longer hate hanging sticks and instead of settling for and aider on the bottom of one Hawk 30” and stretching the second and just using two sticks, I actually hang all four of these mini sticks.

I did something I haven’t done in years, I prehung my stand and just walked in and got in for yesterday’s season opener. I climbed about an hour before light. About 45 minutes in I hear some loud popping. I was more annoyed by the noise because according to my cameras I was expecting deer any minute. I bought the Cruzr bracket Hawk sells for ease of hanging. In testing it at home I had to leave it at home because the yellow “covering” over that bolt will not fit into the hole on the stand. I could probably whittle it a bit but would rather have a refund. Only problem is it’s still on a tree in the back lawn because the ratchet strap won’t disengage. May wind up cutting the strap and trashing it.

Back to the popping - when it gets light I discover the source, the mesh grate welded on the platform was popping welds and they were folding up. While I was seated, not standing on it. So two little deer walk in and I wait until they’re gone planning to climb down and run to the archery shop and just buy another saddle setup.

I go to climb down about 8:30 and the stand has ratchet strap up top and cam strap on bottom. Ratchet strap won’t let go. I cut it and dropped it to the ground. Drive 48 miles to the shop and picked up a Trophyline EDP (picked it over the bigger Mission) and they are sold out of saddles. Owner gives me his out of his truck and I go back for an afternoon hunt.

First off the Trophyline sticks and platform bite unbelievably. I’m assuming it’s because they’re Novix and allowed to use the batwing. I was never fully sold on the Cruzr seeker because it didn’t bite like I wanted. If I would’ve started out with these type sticks and a platform that just flat didn’t move, I would’ve never stopped saddle hunting. I couldn’t tell any difference between the Covert Lite 2.0 and my previous Cruzr XC, but may spring for the Venatic. My first platform was a Hawk and I won’t even go into that.

I was back in a tree at 1:50 and climbed down at 7:19. So I’ll either have another Cruzr XC (they’re local to me and I can stop and pick one up) or my shop is getting some Monday or Tuesday and Ill get one of those.

Hawk gets a lot of crap on forums and I have defended them to a degree, but enough is enough. I’ll no longer defend or buy their products. If they work for you I’m glad you didn’t waste your money and pray you stay safe no matter what you hunt out of.

It sucks that other crappy metal products to climb on or stand on kept you out of a saddle, and not even the saddle itself.must have been frustrating.
I’ve heard Hawk dogged on quite a bit and I kinda chalked it up to it wasn’t expensive enough or boutique. I’ve come to the conclusion if you get a good Hawk product it’s more the exception than the rule.

After I wrote the original post above I just kinda thought thru the Hawk products I’ve bought and rarely any gems, but I would periodically keep buying some of their stuff to save a buck. The bow hanger broke, the retractable bow hoist wouldn’t retract after maybe 2-3 uses and when it did work it was LOUD. About the only thing that has worked are those little double plastic hooks with the velcro.

I diy my own stuff the way i want it so i dont have any of the problems i constantly read about on this forum.other than slow back orders (service)and hip pinch(the actual saddle)....the majority of issues i read about have to do with métal parts, wich i avoid.not compleatly but as much as posible.my carabiners are covered in tubular webbing though not exsposed.and there are 2 small pièces of aluminum in my ghost buckle and 1 in my crucifix hitch for my ring of steps strap ,not exsposed but all wrapped in tubulare webbing.

I'm cheating right now since I hunt my own property. ;)

I have one of those ladders pre-set along with my platform. Sportsmansguide.com

View attachment 91258

I do the same. I actually have hangons in the tree also. I put the platform even with the seat so I have more room to move around if I need too. It is definitely easier to get in the tree on one of those quick afternoon hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I started In saddles my wife told me to just buy what I needed the first time as I tend to keep and use equipment for a long time. I bought a cruzr xc and seeker platform and a set of lonewolf sticks and I tell you what it's all top notch high quality stuff. The only thing I'd change at all is maybe go down to 8mm or smaller tether/linesman in a few years when my 11mm wears out. And I did just do the rope mod for this year on my climbing sticks to get rid of the buckles.

I generally recommend the buy once cry once methodology, unless your tight on cash and gotta get in the woods however you have to.

Heck my first year saddle hunting I'd bought the saddle but not the platform and made my own out of a piece of 1/4" steel angle and a 2x12.

I have thought to myself before looking at hawk stuff if it's actually safe or not and moved on to more reputable brands

When I started In saddles my wife told me to just buy what I needed the first time as I tend to keep and use equipment for a long time. I bought a cruzr xc and seeker platform and a set of lonewolf sticks and I tell you what it's all top notch high quality stuff. The only thing I'd change at all is maybe go down to 8mm or smaller tether/linesman in a few years when my 11mm wears out. And I did just do the rope mod for this year on my climbing sticks to get rid of the buckles.

I generally recommend the buy once cry once methodology, unless your tight on cash and gotta get in the woods however you have to.

Heck my first year saddle hunting I'd bought the saddle but not the platform and made my own out of a piece of 1/4" steel angle and a 2x12.
I'm a big proponent of buy once cry once myself although I am a CPA and we are known for being a bit chincy sometimes. Every now and again I'll have a bout with, "Am I stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime?"

Cruzr headquarters is local to me and I drove over there one day and told Chad to set me up with everything down to all new ropes. But, I told him I already had my sticks. I hate it because of the sentimental aspect concerning the sticks and I picked them out based on the advertised weights, etc. We even had Chad and the guys over to our ASA Club during one of the shoots to set up demos and they sold a ton.

I had the 30" Hawk sticks - packing them was an ordeal but mainly I didn't feel safe in them. I have no fear or qualms with heights. My Dad owned an electric and plumbing company all my life so I couldn't be afraid of heights he just said, "Get up there." However, when I'm up in the air and something moves I'm not too crazy about it. I hung three Hawk sticks once and I get to the bottom rungs of my top step and when I put my first foot on the second step it just slid down the tree.

So basically I had to use the old rope climbing method of wrapping the tether around my foot to take pressure off the prussik and slide down little by little to reach the bottom step. My other problem when I originally started saddle hunting (I gave saddle hunting 2 1/2 years) was all this "Shoot 360* you can move all around this tree!" I couldn't and I did NOT feel comfortable taking most shots. My only deer during 20, 21 & most of 22 came from when I'd take my climber out.

I attribute that to the platform. My first platform was the Hawk, it would NOT bite and when you put your weight on it the teeth came off the tree and you knew the strap was your only friend. Putting side pressure on it to position yourself was not even on the radar. I loved every piece of Cruzr gear I had but the Seeker platform did not give me the warm and fuzzies. Not sure if it was my weight or what. I'm 230# but not fat I only have a 32" waist. Not sure if it was the bracket in the back or what. I could get it to where it wouldn't separate from the tree when I stood on it but if I needed side pressure to move around the tree to get a shot, it would move on me. When that happens I'm the type that shuts down and walks away. So I sold all my Cruzr gear planning on going to a lock on this year.

These Trophyline sticks and platform (Novix) have just blown my mind. I have NEVER had sticks or platform just stick to a tree when time to come down and I remove the strap, like I see others in videos. I was all over that platform and it just flat didn't budge. As a matter of fact I hung Saturday afternoon after buying this stuff and nothing but hunted Sunday afternoon and took my first deer from a saddle. They actually surprised me from where I thought they'd come from. They just popped out at my 4:30-5:00 and were circling behind me. I was able to turn and be on the back left corner of my platform, lean out and shot her. I shot her at about my 7:00.

I'm gonna see today whether I can get a Cruzr or Trophyline saddle and it's really gonna come down to which one I can get the quickest so I don't lose hunt time. Unfortunately my local shop is closed on Mondays.

You can have quality or you can have cheap, you can’t have both.
Nothing about my complete Cruzr setup was cheap - ALTHOUGH I did stick with the Hawk sticks. For some reason me and the Seeker platform didn't gel. I like the batwing style bracket better and I kinda think maybe the larger size of the Seeker platform and my weight may have had something to do with it. I never thought I'd say this but I think I do better with a smaller platform.

Yeah I don’t consider the Cruzr stuff as cheap gear. I have never tried their platforms, but have had several of their saddles. I was referring to the Hawk junk. Most people buy Hawk to save a buck. If that’s all someone can afford then that’s fine, just understand the limitations.

Yeah I don’t consider the Cruzr stuff as cheap gear. I have never tried their platforms, but have had several of their saddles. I was referring to the Hawk junk. Most people buy Hawk to save a buck. If that’s all someone can afford then that’s fine, just understand the limitations.
Agree. Usually like I said I learned long ago buy once cry once, but would fall into the "save a buck trap" every now and again, but I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to safety and your life that's just not the place to save a buck.

I'll also add probably shouldn't give a product your life just because it's more expensive. The best thing to do is get on a place like this and research whatever you place your life and safety in.

Also remember...it's your @$$ in that tree, so what's your life worth ?

Just something to think about when you "cheap out"

I almost done it, but 2nd and 3rd thoughts took the better of me...and wasn't really "saving" that much.

Back