• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best saddle for relieving ankle pressure

Lowg08

So as most know. I’ve alluded to at least. I’ve just had ankle surgery and I’m got new hardware. So here is my question. I still want to be able to lean. I lean 95% of the time now. I want to be able sit just as comfortable and break up the time on my ankle as I recover. I have a menace. It’s great and would not change if it wasn’t for the injury. I have looked and read reviews and on and on. I’m thinking the latitude method xl would be great. I one stick and I believe I could sit more and still comfortable. I just think a two panel might be good for this.

What do you run for a platform/ROS? I haven't tried a two panel... Yet. But would an angled platform or steps help?

I had looked up several things. I was thinking a latitude method xl and I’m using a predator platform. I saw on hear some where that someone had taken two squirrel steps put them on amsteel and was able to sit with their knees against them. Looked like it would work pretty good being able to put the second panel under my butt and my back band around my back. Could sit comfortable when I needed too

Jx3 is probably the only one that will allow you to get the weight off your feet. Has to be something that keeps your knees from coming against the tree. Thats the only way to to get weight off your feet unless you want to turn sideways to the tree and rest your hips/thighs against the tree. Course if you do the latter you're SOL if a deer comes unless its in front of you and your using a gun, maybe an xbow

I'm pretty sure that ankle is still in a cast, but how high of boot do you wear hunting? Would a say, 8 inch, lace up provide some support for your new bionic ankle?

Last edited:
If you must lean, modding your Predator with a soft saddle platform topper (basically a cushioned ramp) might provide some ankle relief.

I'm pretty sure that ankle is still in a cast, but how high of boot do you were hunting? Would a say, 8 inch, lace up provide some support for your new bionic ankle?
Yea it is. Sadly I’m having to address that too. I’ve been in ultralight hikers or trail runners. So yea. Working that out too. I went away from heavy boots a couple years ago.

If you must lean, modding your Predator with a soft saddle platform topper (basically a cushioned ramp) might provide some ankle relief.
I love to lean. I am surprised how still I can be. It’s just comfortable. I just want to be able to say lean 75% and sit 25%. Just give me a little break on this long all day sits. That actually gives me a really good idea. Thanks. I’ll probably just go two panel and see if it works. It’s how I’ve figured the rest of it out

Yea it is. Sadly I’m having to address that too. I’ve been in ultralight hikers or trail runners. So yea. Working that out too. I went away from heavy boots a couple years ago.
My wife wears one of these with her ultra light hiking shoes:
Slips right into her shoes no problem, we’ve done several longish hikes (10 mountain miles) and had zero issues.

My wife wears one of these with her ultra light hiking shoes:
Slips right into her shoes no problem, we’ve done several longish hikes (10 mountain miles) and had zero issues.
That looks legit. How high does it go on your wife’s ankle. I’ve got quite a bigger plate than I expected. 598A958A-62AE-43D9-9807-040A4E0ECBCA.jpeg

That looks legit. How high does it go on your wife’s ankle. I’ve got quite a bigger plate than I expected. View attachment 67581
Oh man you went in for just the buff and shine and left with the deluxe package. I don’t have a precise measurement and my wife is a tiny thing at a whopping 5’2” but check out the pictures on the website, they’re obviously of the male persuasion. I feel like the brace might go high enough up to at least reach your top stitch.

@Plebe do you happen to have an example of the ramp? It reminds me of @Weldabeast s' soft platform.

That thread would be the inspiration. But adapted to top a rigid platform. Foam ramp, stuff sack, however best suits. Even something like cut pool noodle strapped to the tree around the platform's base for cushion and improved ankle alignment.

That thread would be the inspiration. But adapted to top a rigid platform. Foam ramp, stuff sack, however best suits. Even something like cut pool noodle strapped to the tree around the platform's base for cushion and improved ankle alignment.
I was already thinking about either taking a old close cell foam pad and maybe a grommet kit or some way to put holes in with out compromising the foam and weave it in with para cord. Might work out

Back