• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Best Seat In The Woods

Preacher's Seat

Greetings from Mississippi - just found this forum while looking for some new ideas from others who hunt from trees by way of saddles.
I have owned a Trophy Line Tree Saddle, last year bought the entire family Sit Drags for Christmas Stocking Stuffers, but I always find myself back in my own design that I call the "Preacher's Seat" - I consider it the Best Seat In The Woods. Same principles apply - just has a "T"- shaped seat that keeps the pressure off hips and allows for resting on tree so that knees do not have pressure on them. Been hunting in this rig for over 30 years (mainly with bow) and I rarely ever hunt from any other type tree stand. Looking forward to reading posts in the days ahead.
TLH - Mt.6.33

Welcome! Would love to see pics as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay - I have failed to get actual photos but will eventually get to it. However, I did find my original pdf of the design of my particular model of the "Preacher's Seat". I am certain that there are many similar designs out there. I was inspired by an article I read in a Peterson's Hunting Magazine of a Dr. in Alabama who bow hunted out of a sling type stand - so I had to try it out and this is what I came up with.

The design shows the seat being made of two pieces of 3/4"plywood fashioned in such a way that you could adjust distance away from the tree when sitting - I have since settled on a distance for the stem of the "T" so that I could cut down a slight amount of weight. I use a rope as a tether (long enough to wrap around tree and tie a timber hitch knot) with a Snap-lock Carabiner for quick attachment to the bridge - Originally I had a "D" Ring in the center of the bridge but got rid of it for noise purposes several years back. The webbing that I use for the saddle is 2" wide (i.e. Boat Winch webbing). I use grommets where the webbing will be attached to the seat with 3/8" carriage bolts. I attach the Bridle (made of same webbing) to the saddle via quick links. On the webbing I insert 3/8" grommets an inch or so apart on opposite sides in order to snap on a back strap for added support and all day comfort.

Anyway - Maybe this description along with the pdf will make sense.

TLH - Mt. 6.33

Attachments

• Preacher's Seat .pdf
    183.5 KB · Views: 251
Nice simple design, like a bosons chair with knee relief built in. I like it.

Finally found time to put a brief video description together. Sorry that the videography is not so great - but hopefully it will allow you to understand my pdf that was posted earlier. I failed to mention in the video that I also have grommets in the bridle that allow me to snap my adjustable climbing belt as a back support for longer hunts. Gonna try to post the youtube video.

In Christ,
TLH - Mt. 6.33

Great video. Looks very comfortable. I can tell you are a preacher by the way you talk and carry yourself. I'm going to try this. Thanks!

In for pics also. Fairly recent member myself and have learned a lot. You will enjoy.

Back