• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Calling kestrel and flex owners

onestringer

SH Member
Got a question for you all who own both the kestrel and the flex. I prefer my kestrel over my flex. My dad took my flex and I don’t have any plans on replacing it. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggled to decide which one to sell but ended up selling the kestrel. My only issue with the flex is the new material on the inside

I like my flex so much I packed the mantis away and don't plan on using it at all unless I need a back up for some reason. Can't compare it to a regular kestrel because I've never had one.

so.. is it worth switching from a kestral, to a flex???
Tom

That’s up to each individual. I just see most flex owners gushing about how awesome they are. Me personally I didn’t see it or feel it compared to my kestrel. But that’s just me.

That’s up to each individual. I just see most flex owners gushing about how awesome they are. Me personally I didn’t see it or feel it compared to my kestrel. But that’s just me.

Is there a noticeable weight difference between the Kestrel and Flex? The Flex looks to be about a pound lighter. Also are the lineman loops in a much better position? Sounds like they moved them forward quite a bit. I thought about upgrading but still not sure if it’s worth it.

Got a question for you all who own both the kestrel and the flex. I prefer my kestrel over my flex. My dad took my flex and I don’t have any plans on replacing it. Am I the only one who feels this way?
I think the kestrel is going to be more comfortable than the flex. I haven't put enough time in my flex to really judge the comfort, I need to put a real hang in.
Is there a noticeable weight difference between the Kestrel and Flex? The Flex looks to be about a pound lighter. Also are the lineman loops in a much better position? Sounds like they moved them forward quite a bit. I thought about upgrading but still not sure if it’s worth it.
The flex is definitely lighter. The raptor buckles are a lower profile than the buckles used on my original kestrel. I love the new positions of the lineman's belt loops and so far I love the webbing bridge. I'm not sold on the flex part yet but we'll see as I use it more. I don't think it's worth the upgrade right now, but I can tell you that if they made those modifications to the kestrel design I would buy one in a heartbeat.

I just got my Flex today. Maybe my initial impression is wrong about it, but I'm thinking I like my Kestrel slightly better. But there are things about each that I like better than the other. Lineman loops moved forward is nice and the molly loops are improved.
I've been a big fan of an adjustable Amsteel bridge (whoopie sling) but this adjustable webbing bridge is sweet.
The new buckles don't do anything for me.
And I am very suspicious about the coating on the inside. I can imagine that it could make noise, especially if certain material pants are worn, possibly like rain gear?

I hung in mine briefly in the house. At this point, Im more curious about how the Kestrel compares to the KITE more so than the Flex.

so.. is it worth switching from a kestral, to a flex???
Tom

It depends. Wow our duty and taxes are a killer

$371.5 US for a whole kit. Translates to $517 cdn plus $72 in duty or about $590 cdn

So if you like your kestrel keep it
If you want a more comfortable saddle buy a hybrid.

That said the flex is good Is it better than a kestrel. I am not sure

My initial impressions.

For me I think it will be a bit more comfortable

It is lighter

I like the adjustable bridge Nice for comfort and for rappelling

I will try the prussic tender It May work better for one stick climbing. Less noise potential

The linemans loops are in a good spot.
And yes the flex may be open most of the time. I doubt that will bother me even walking in

I agree with @redsquirrel. I need to sit in it for a few hours

I doubt that inside liner is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
It depends. Wow our duty and taxes are a killer

$371.5 US for a whole kit. Translates to $517 cdn plus $72 in duty or about $590 cdn

So if you like your kestrel keep it

My initial impressions.

For me I think it will be a bit more comfortable

It is lighter

I like the adjustable bridge Nice for comfort and for rappelling

I will try the prussic tender It May work better for one stick climbing. Less noise potential

The linemans loops are in a good spot.
And yes the flex may be open most of the time. I doubt that will bother me even walking in

I agree with @redsquirrel. I need to sit in it for a few hours

I doubt that inside liner is a problem.

Im going to try to cancel my order. So sick of the goverment stealing money from me.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I have owned every single saddle AH has produced for hunters with the exception I did not buy (or buy into the advantage of) the Flex. IMO the kestrel was the best hunting saddle they produced thus far. Personally I would still ditch the rope bridge and buckles on it, but that's just my personal preference. We have many good options these days. But having tested most all of them, I don't think the vast majority are going to see $400 differences in comfort between them. And options like buckles and bridges are easily modified for much less cost. not trying to say anyone shouldn't buy, just trying to save that hard working dad/mom out there thinking the upgrade will be night and day difference - it usually is not.

I like the adjustable webbing bridge. It is perfect for rappelling and comfort. It is a good saddle but if you are a Canadian. Wait for more reviews. It may be no better or not a lot better than what your using

That said so far I like the flex

I like the adjustable webbing bridge. It is perfect for rappelling and comfort. It is a good saddle but if you are a Canadian. Wait for more reviews. It may be no better or not a lot better than what your using

That said so far I like the flex

The adjustable webbing bridge is awesome.
I was a hard core advocate of an Amsteel whoopie bridge, but I think I'm going to convert the Amsteel on my Kestrel to adj webbing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The adjustable webbing bridge is awesome.
I was a hard core advocate of an Amsteel whoopie bridge, but I think I'm going to convert the Amsteel on my Kestrel to adj webbing.

I think it may be the best bridge I have used

Last edited:
I can’t decide if the opening bridge is better with the beaner or the sewn on. Any thoughts?
I got the sewn bridge. One less carabiner on my rig plus carabiners cut down slightly the travel room for twisting in the saddle. I like the entire bridge to be usable from loop to loop. A beener eliminates about 3" of travel.

Other than "ease" of step through, I dont know what you would ever want to be able to remove one side of the bridge....sewn, adjustable webbing makes sense....it can be tightened like a belt when walking in, let out for use. Easy Peasy.

I got the sewn bridge. One less carabiner on my rig plus carabiners cut down slightly the travel room for twisting in the saddle. I like the entire bridge to be usable from loop to loop. A beener eliminates about 3" of travel.

I would just use webbing with a waterknot tied in both ends once I figured out how long I like a bridge. I find using the tether for minute adjustments better as only one rope/web verses two - to contend with while shooting. I like a 22 inch bridge and it doesn't change from tree to tree - my tether might due to lean of tree but not my bridge.

Back