• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Can you build a 1.3 pound stick

Ontariofarmer

I think you can
A 2 foot 1x1 carbon fiber post.... .91 g
Ronstan mini carbon cam cleat plus 5mm tech rope (5000 pound breaking strength) - 70 g
Lone wolf stand offs and screws 88g +88 g
single steps 127 g x2 made by @ImThere
Is it safe???

+91+70+88+88+127+127+= 591 g approximately

591/454 = 1.3 pounds approximately

Cost roughly $150 per stick. Use a home made versa button and heavier rope save $25

A carbon fiber post is .1 pounds per foot a 1/16 Aluminium is .3 pounds per foot. The standard 1/8 aluminium post is .5 pounds per foot..

So take .8 pounds off any stick you own. and that is what you save on the post.

.050 wall but .075 wall is available. I don't know if it works or not - maybe an engineer can say.

Last edited:
Funny you mention the carbon fibre tube. I've been considering building my own like you are and was just looking at rock west composites. I've bought round tube from them before. It's strong stuff. I'd guess the .050 wall would...I'd be willing to bounce on it and see anyways.

If you do go with carbon fibre tube, look into the safety concerns of working with it. A lot of archery shops that I visit are unaware of the dangers of working with CF tubing.

What are the concerns dust??? I don't even know if it will work ... I want some input from people who know. ...All I would do is drill it.

Funny you mention the carbon fibre tube. I've been considering building my own like you are and was just looking at rock west composites. I've bought round tube from them before. It's strong stuff. I'd guess the .050 wall would...I'd be willing to bounce on it and see anyways.
Is west wall in Canada. Any link

Dang though.... $125 per stick, best case scenario. OUCH!

Also, I would bet that you would need some sort of bracing or strengthening for the hardware to keep them from pulling through. It might eat up the weight difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I would bet that you would need some sort of bracing or strengthening for the hardware to keep them from pulling through. It might eat up the weight difference.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. You could put aluminium spacers in from McMaster Carr .As far as cost we waste a lot more on hunting junk than that. Crossbows that are over $2000 or guns that are even more. And we do not think that is waste. I have not spent that much ever myself.
I know a guided elk hunt for a week is often a $1000 per day. Beyond my range... but not a light stick for hunting deep around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJC
No they're in Utah I believe. The concern is the dust from drilling or cutting. I did an aircraft fire course with the investigators from Peggy's Cove and that's one of the biggest learning moments from their investigation. Without proper respiratory protection, the dust gets in your lungs and stays there.

The cheapest I've found this morning is from dragon plate. The 1" economy wrap @ 96" for $138 USD plus shipping.

If he goes with the Bowhunter15 design, the steps and brackets use the same fasteners so they'll be like big washers. I'd add an aluminum insert inside the rube like Bowhunter15 did any ways just to stop any potential wearing in the tube.

Good to know. After 32 years of dust and ammonia in a hog barn my lungs have taken a beating. That is why I rented the barn a year ago and have more time to hunt. Good to be safe. Would a regular dust mask work for drilling.

What about broken hockey sticks in the arena. Dust for all.

Last edited:
I guess I started thinking about light sticks because of @bowhunter15 and @ImThere stick ideas. Also Dan's sticks will probably not be ready this year. It might be easier and cheaper to buy his but if I can make some, it is a challenge and fun.

Dan infault stick is 1.4 lbs with cam buckle from what I heard at 70 per stick

Thanks for the constructive criticism. You could put aluminium spacers in from McMaster Carr .As far as cost we waste a lot more on hunting junk than that. Crossbows that are over $2000 or guns that are even more. And we do not think that is waste. I have not spent that much ever myself.
I know a guided elk hunt for a week is often a $1000 per day. Beyond my range... but not a light stick for hunting deep around here.

Very true. And much like our saddles, it is a once and done kind of investment for every tree you would ever want to sit. I look forward to you possibly moving forward with this project. I had looked for tubular titanium at one point for the same reasons. I found its availability and price to be the limiting factors for me.

I have to be careful how many tinkering projects I take on, and how much they cost, so my wife doesn’t shut me down entirely. Hahahaha

Last edited:
Good to know. After 32 years of dust and ammonia in a hog barn my lungs have taken a beating. That is why I rented the barn a year ago and have more time to hunt. Good to be safe. Would a regular dust mask work for drilling.

What about broken hockey sticks in the arena. Dust for all.

Hahaha you're good with a N95 mask I believe. Just didn't want to see you fill your lungs with carbon fibre particles that the can't expel.

I like where you're going with this. I'm really trying to think out the best climbing method for me. I thought about it all day yesterday...

A custom stick like this would definitely be the lightest climbing option at ~ 4lbs.

3 modified heliums at ~ 6 pounds.

6 stepps at ~ 6 lbs with cain's method.

Preset trees with bolts, then use one stick to get up to them and one stick it if I need to hunt a different tree: ~ 2lbs.

I still don't know. Paralysis by analysis.

I'm personally starting to like the stepps because of the profile. For me last year, the weight didn't bother me as much as trying to manoeuvre a 32" helium and my bow through the bush. Would a 24" stick(s) be much of a difference? Probably. But I think 6 stepps would be the smallest profile, but for a 50% weight increase.

I guess I just have to commit to something and go with it.

Back