• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

CGM Foot Loops are Amazing!

BowhunterXC

I started using the 2TC Climbing Method with a rope for the Foot Loop, which was very uncomfortable. I quickly switched to a 2" wide safety belt, which was much better. Then I found Custom Gear Modifications with their 4" wide Foot Loops, for only $27 each. So, I ordered 2 of them and they were shipped in a very timely manner. :)

I went out with them this morning and made my first climb, using both Foot Loops. This made the climb so much easier and more comfortable! :cool:
I use both ends of my rappel rope to make the climb. Once I'm at the desired height and am standing on my platform, I simply remove the Foot Loops and put them in my day pack.
Foot Loop 1.jpg
Foot Loop 3.jpg
Foot Loop 2.jpg

Hold on a second... I thought 2TC involved a leg loop and one leg on each tether?

This looks like a hand climber made out of straps and rope, which is awesome. Did I have 2TC wrong this whole time or is this some sort of offshoot?
My thoughts as well. That looks super simple and easy.......

Hold on a second... I thought 2TC involved a leg loop and one leg on each tether?

This looks like a hand climber made out of straps and rope, which is awesome. Did I have 2TC wrong this whole time or is this some sort of offshoot?
Yea, you had it wrong. One tether you connect to the saddle and sit on. The other bottom tether you stand up on, whether that be one foot, two feet, etc. You stand on the bottom tether, move the top tether up and sit in the saddle, move the bottom tether up, stand and repeat. 2tc is a minimalist climber in essence of style and you've been missing out but we’re glad you’ve made it here now.

Just started to 2TC myself with the footloop from CGM, can get to hunting height in less then ten minutes, not as fast as my climber was but I think is is just as fast as the mini sticks I used last year were. How does using the two footloops work? I have only been using the one.

Just started to 2TC myself with the footloop from CGM, can get to hunting height in less then ten minutes, not as fast as my climber was but I think is is just as fast as the mini sticks I used last year were. How does using the two footloops work? I have only been using the one.
The stirrups attach in the middle to keep your feet from kicking way out on the sides of the tree. I’d assume it would be similar to one foot loop but more comfy with better support. You’d still hook it to your lower tether and use both knees to stand up instead of just one.

Yea, you had it wrong. One tether you connect to the saddle and sit on. The other bottom tether you stand up on, whether that be one foot, two feet, etc. You stand on the bottom tether, move the top tether up and sit in the saddle, move the bottom tether up, stand and repeat. 2tc is a minimalist climber in essence of style and you've been missing out but we’re glad you’ve made it here now.
yeah! i kinda wrote it off imagining doing a split halfway up the tree with one leg on each rope ripping my crotch apart... this seems MUCH more appealing, and not at all having that possibility.

I would like to see a video of this climbing method......two foot loop style. I watched Jerry's latest video showing the single foot loop and it looks like something I would try. Two feet seems like it would be a bit more "restrictive" and limiting. I noticed you are using Ropeman ascenders, what happens when you need to quickly descend? Do you sit sideways while you move your leg(s) up. Do you rappel? Look forward to seeing this in action.

I've seen it done both ways, but I prefer to have my feet together. I have more power to stand with both legs/feet and feel like I'm in better control of the climb. :cool:

I would like to see a video of this climbing method......two foot loop style. I watched Jerry's latest video showing the single foot loop and it looks like something I would try. Two feet seems like it would be a bit more "restrictive" and limiting. I noticed you are using Ropeman ascenders, what happens when you need to quickly descend? Do you sit sideways while you move your leg(s) up. Do you rappel? Look forward to seeing this in action.
I descend by rappelling with the same rope. That is to say, I'm using both ends of my rappel rope to climb. Once I'm at my desired height, I set my platform, step onto it, remove the Foot Loops and put them in my daypack. I just tuck that end of my rappel rope back into my dump pouch, until I'm done hunting and then drop it out for a standard rappel with a Figure 8.

This guy is only using 1 Foot Loop (looks like a 2" safety harness/belt), but the method is the same with using 2 Foot Loops. Actually, it's easier because you have more power from using both legs and the 4" wide Foot Loops make it way more comfortable to stand while moving the upper tether line. :cool:

Thanks, I may give 2 TC another try using one of these. Do you know when this is coming out?
You'd have to contact CGM, for the "double stirrup" style Foot Loop.
However, I recently purchased 2 of the single Foot Loops and had them delivered in a short time.
Contact CGM and ask them. https://www.customgearmodifications.com/

First time I saw the two tether technique, that double stirrup idea was something I envisioned in my head, I’m glad to see they’re putting one out! I might have to give it a try.

Using 2 feet does restrict you on the height per move. But is more stable.

Using 2 feet does restrict you on the height per move. But is more stable.
I agree. I started with 2 foot loops but once I got comfortable there was nothing to doing it with one. I also think the two foot stirrup is visually more inviting than a the thigh loop. I feel like a lot of guys looked at the thigh loop and thought it looked too strange to try. I’m sure others looked at the single foot loop looked to sketchy or unstable to try. I think they’re gonna have everybody 2tc with these stirrups before too long. I could see older guys with knee problems or something similar benefitting from being able to use both legs when standing, on top of being more stable.

Back