• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Christmas in July! Plan to up my ground game.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
I've been good so Santa dropped off a brand-new Waldrop Pac Seat just now. Well, Fedex to be precise and I haven't really been all that good, lol. All joking aside, I have been wanting one of these for several years and so I finally broke down and ordered one a couple of weeks back. All the good reviews on here helped to seal the deal.

I didn't do as much ground hunting last season as I did the two prior seasons. During those seasons I had some really cool encounters and had deer very close to me. Quite a few of my post season scouting hot spots were areas not well suited to hunting elevated. For that reason, and due to the simplicity of the setups, I've been thinking a lot about throwing in a good bit of hunting off the ground this upcoming season. With this in mind, a good bit of my archery practice has been from seated positions. I especially like combining ground sits with traditional archery. They just really seem to go together to me.

Anyway, here it is, fresh out of the box. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Attachments

• Pacseat.jpg
    Pacseat.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 111
I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on one for a while. I did more ground hunting last season. Wasn’t successful but I did have several encounters. I can’t but help feel restricted in a tree. I’m also more comfortable on the ground because I don’t have to worry about falling. I’m also lazy.

Part of the allure for me is the challenge. Part of it is the ease of setting up. I do like the fact that it would be hard to get seriously hurt falling off a chair.

I've had several really cool encounters with deer, and even closer encounters with turkeys off the ground. It was really the turkey encounters that made the light bulb go off. I was just sitting there on the ground thinking why not hunt deer this way?

I did note that they seem to have changed the design a little in order to allow the seat to pivot backwards to make a game shelf. I was not aware they did this prior to ordering it. That was a neat bonus. This is new right? Have I just been missing this feature being mentioned?

Although a small thing, they included precut tennis balls for the feet. That was a nice touch.

I'm giving serious consideration to ordering the small game bag. After watching Nutterbuster's videos on the Packseat and the game bag, I think the small bag would do for our rather small deer.

(161) Waldrop PacSeat 2.0 - YouTube

Yep you'll love her. They are awesome.

I had to have one because my arthritis prevents me from pivoting when sitting directly on the ground, and getting up after sitting a few minutes was like a 15min process.

It is so much easier than all the gear haul. Everything has its place though. There are areas that are better for a ground sit opposed to elevated and vice versa.

I have 36 deer this yr from a Pac Seat on DNR Permits. It is so easy to just walk in and sit down, No climbing gear to haul. I made a DIY Gillie Cape and they hardly pay any attention to you. Water and snacks can lay beside you on the ground within easy reach. I made a small aluminum shelf on the back of mine for a meat hauler and my back pack rests on it also. No need for climbing ropes, biners, etc

I have 36 deer this yr from a Pac Seat on DNR Permits. It is so easy to just walk in and sit down, No climbing gear to haul. I made a DIY Gillie Cape and they hardly pay any attention to you. Water and snacks can lay beside you on the ground within easy reach. I made a small aluminum shelf on the back of mine for a meat hauler and my back pack rests on it also. No need for climbing ropes, biners, etc
How many of the 36 were u set up by a tree in the chair?

Let me rephrase.....when u setting up to kill those deers in ur chair have u been in the wide open or up in some bushes or up against a tree...I big fan of hunting off the ground with my saddle. I'm begining to think that my local terrain is favorable to this and the rest of utes maybe not so much

Let me rephrase.....when u setting up to kill those deers in ur chair have u been in the wide open or up in some bushes or up against a tree...I big fan of hunting off the ground with my saddle. I'm begining to think that my local terrain is favorable to this and the rest of utes maybe not so much
I'm thinking the palmettos you have offer a real advantage to ground hunting. They are evergreen right?

Are you bowhunting these or using a rifle? Just trying to get a feel for distances.

They stay green year round and dead fronds stay attached for a really long time...it's like a sacrifice to the fire so the heart/core stays safe...the outer stuff burns hot and fast because of those dead fronds and the fire jumps to the next 1 before sitting there long enough to burn the heart

I'm thinking this seat will be great for early season, especially afternoons where I might walk a mile or two looking for hot feed sign. It is usually 100 degrees early season, especially in the afternoon. The bonus is everything is still green so there is cover close to the ground. I also believe that the deer bed up close to where they are feeding and sometimes a blank sit in the evening is caused from the deer spotting me climbing a tree. I think a lot of times they just ease off or sit it out until after dark to move.

I do a fair amount of ground hunting and have had good success. I mainly use a Millenium tree seat and it is light, comfortable and easy to hook up to a tree. I have a couple of small folding chairs I use as well. As for having success ground hunting, the game changer for me is using the ASAT 3D leafy suit. ASAT camo levels the playing field.

I do like the looks of the Waldrop Pac Seat and will check them out.

Back