• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

cleaning ropes and gear

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
How are you guys cleaning your ropes and other gear? I hunted in the rain last week and a lot of my stuff has a slight mildew smell. I'd like to run my SitDrag, dump pouches and ropes through the laundry, but I'm thinking that's a bad idea.

I normally air it out, but we're supposed to have thunderstorms all day tomorrow and I need to prep for a Friday morning hunt. I don't have an ozone machine. What should I do?

How are you guys cleaning your ropes and other gear? I hunted in the rain last week and a lot of my stuff has a slight mildew smell. I'd like to run my SitDrag, dump pouches and ropes through the laundry, but I'm thinking that's a bad idea.

I normally air it out, but we're supposed to have thunderstorms all day tomorrow and I need to prep for a Friday morning hunt. I don't have an ozone machine. What should I do?

Can you just throw it in the dryer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about your ropes, but all that other stuff just fill up the sink with water and hunting soap and scrub em with a brush. They'll be fine in the dryer...probably fine in the washer too (Ive actually run my Trophylines in the washer/dryer and the machines probably got the worst of it from the buckles

Reactions: PJC
I need to wash my stuff up. My pouch that holds my ropes and stuff isn't smelling the greatest lately lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've washed my trophyline as well. I wonder if Amsteel and climbing ropes would be OK in the dryer on low? Seems like they should.

I wonder if the dryer is just a "cover your ass" kind of thing. Seems like if you can put silk in the dryer on low heat, climbing ropes should be fine. Certainly climbing gear is more durable than t-shirts from old navy.

I don't think you should compare the care of your wife's undies to your climbing ropes

You can wash ropes in mild detergent but you're not supposed to dry then in a dryer. You'll have to hang them and put a fan on them. Just wash them in a pillow case.

I don't think you should compare the care of your wife's undies to your climbing ropes
No... Definitely not. There is some risk in screwing up climbing gear. If I screw up her laundry, they'll never find the body.

On a serious note, I did some research on this when all of my climbing gear was covered in poison ivy. Consensus was scrub with mild, non detergent soap. Wring out and air dry. I used a box fan and drying racks, no mildew smell.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

None of this stuff should go in the dryer.

After wet hunts I hang my stuff in the garage on a drying rack. If it is not dry for the next hunt I use it and then hang it back up. If it is really cold out I will set the drying rack up in our foyer and let it sit there over night. This seems to work pretty well for keeping it mildew free. Its usually if you don't get to it and let it sit wet when the mildew will develop.

If you already have the mildew, I would hand wash the stuff in a bucket of warm soapy water, and then dry it like above.

Back