• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing rope

Eaton

Hey guys new here been reading all about saddle hunting and just ordered my first one. It does not come with the rope to hang with or a linesman rope so I have to make one. Where is the best place to buy that on the cheaper side. And what all do I need that I may not know about. I got the evolution saddle.

Thanks. Can't wait to try it.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the club.... there is a lot of information here and most people end up making their own tether and lines man rope. I have found ebay a great place to get rope remnants. I would also look at a ropeman 1 or kong duck for adjustability and attachment. Have you decided what will be your first method of climbing to try? I say first because there are many and most of us have spent more than we would like to admit on different methods trying to find the holy grail.

Besides climbing, you will also want to research platforms. The predominant method is a set of ameristep strap on steps. They are spendy, but you can always resell them if you don't like them and get your money back.

Feel free to ask questions. People here are very helpful and full of ideas.

On another note, you may want to open your schedule and another bank account to facilitate all the modifications and gadgets you will want. It's a slippery slope you have started down but a very fun ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site, lots of info in post and in these guys minds, so ask away. I havent bought the NT stuff, but not sure their tether/lineman is over priced when bought as a complete package? The last place you want to "save money" is on safety equipment, but if you insist, check out this site.
http://www.Ijusthittheground.com

There are places that you can buy yale bandit by the foot, dont recall off top of my head though.

edit this place sells it for .79pr ft. Note knots like the double figure 8 take up a lot of rope, so plan accordingly. My tree tether is 6ft loop to loop and I believe I started with 9ft of rope. You can also use 7/16 bluewater assault line(yale bandit is 11mm). For the lineman you can get away with smaller rope. I have used the lw buckle and strap with good results, now use the lw tether as a linemans belt.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1901

Thanks for the info guys with the links and stuff. Got a question. Wat is a rope many ascender? Is that a type of knot.

Welcome to the site! Seconds for treestuff.com they have GREAT customer service and if you ever have any questions what so ever that can't be answered here they usually have the answer.

I looked them up. The kong duck isn't cheap haha. So what do they do exactly and is it the for adjusting the length of the rope.

They are basically mechanical prussik knots. People use them for adjustable bridges/linesman ropes or for the anchor on their tether. I bought mine for the tether because after sitting for hours my knots would lock up and be hard to adjust

For what it's worth, I bought the kong because you can use it on smaller ropes. I haven't tried it yet but would like to eliminate a biner by running the bridge through the hole.

Erniepower said:
For what it's worth, I bought the kong because you can use it on smaller ropes. I haven't tried it yet but would like to eliminate a biner by running the bridge through the hole.

I think if you ran it that way you would have to feed your rope in from the end every time or disconnect your bridge and run it through the kong every time.

Re: RE: Re: Climbing rope

DIYSaddler said:
Erniepower said:

I think if you ran it that way you would have to feed your rope in from the end every time or disconnect your bridge and run it through the kong every time.
That's the part I don't like.

So what else will I need besides the ropeman to make things easier.

Eaton said:

You are going to need something to stand on. Are you allowed to use screw in steps where you hunt?

redsquirrel said:
Eaton said:

You are going to need something to stand on. Are you allowed to use screw in steps where you hunt?
Yes I can but I rather not go that route. I hate having to do that. It makes me get to hot.

Eaton said:
redsquirrel said:
Eaton said:

Yes I can but I rather not go that route. I hate having to do that. It makes me get to hot.

You can keep an eye out for the plastic ameristeps for a strap on platform. I mentioned the screw in steps because for a platform, 4 or 5 cranford screw in steps are pretty quick and easy and won't break the bank.

Yea I will have to keep an eye out for the ameristep as a platform. May make a platform that's aluminum kind of like the guys are doing with the lone wolf seat.

If you talk to flingin arrows he can put you on the right path for ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of great answers so far in this thread, but there is a ton of excellent info on this site concerning every part of saddle hunting. Search around and ask questions. Learning the process and acquiring the gear is half the fun in my opinion! Good luck

Sat in the saddle for a few min today and it is awesome. I think I'm really gonna like it. I'm gonna use the 1 stick method and get the right gear to rappel down the tree. Think that's gonna be great. Got all spring and summer to practice.

Back