• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

climbing stick platform

Bowny

New guy here. I've got a sit-drag en route. I just got some LW climbing sticks delivered. I've been contemplating different platform set ups- Erniepower, I love your work! I was thinking about trying to fasten a platform to the top of a climbing stick. I could just get a Flip Top Seat Kit from LW:
https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Flip-Top-Seat-Kit__FTS.aspx

and take the top step off of one of my sticks. Magyver the flip-top-seat on there and cam it over. Boom, good to go.

Thoughts?

The issue I see is that you Lose climbing height and at that cost you can build an Ernie, and not lose the extra step. Just don't see the benefit if I'm being honest. There are enough things to throw money at in the saddle world. Save the cash for another purchase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or just get an XOP hand Climber Seat and leave your sticks intact
I just looked at the XOP climber seats. Didn't realize they were so cheap. I figured over $100.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would suggest just making a separate platform and keeping the sticks intact. You can gain a little height that way. The platforms come out to about $100 completely built with amsteel whoopie sling. That's what it cost me to make mine. They work great as well and are rock solid!

You cannot go wrong with an Ernie - check his out.

Thanks everyone.

Due to an Amazon shipping snafu, I got 4 free Lone Wolf sticks! So I got some to spare. Did I mention I love Amazon?

When you guys are talking about the "XOP climber seats" are you talking about the strike force hand climber top only?

I'm sending Ernie a PM...

Dang! That's awesome. I order so much stuff from Amazon and they haven't messed up yet

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When you guys are talking about the "XOP climber seats" are you talking about the strike force hand climber top only?
Yes, you just have to make foot straps and attach a thin tether to it so it can't be dropped.

If your harness is comfy enough to hang from, you can even remove it mid climb and pass a branch

Yes, you just have to make foot straps and attach a thin tether to it so it can't be dropped.

If your harness is comfy enough to hang from, you can even remove it mid climb and pass a branch

How often do you use your seat climber. Every sit. Half or seldom.

I'm guessing you guys use the climber seat w rock harness instead of climbing sticks. I like that idea. :cool:
Is the climber seat stable enough to use as a platform when you are in your harness?

I'm guessing you guys use the climber seat w rock harness instead of climbing sticks. I like that idea. :cool:
Is the climber seat stable enough to use as a platform when you are in your harness?

All climbing methods have there place.

New guy here. I've got a sit-drag en route. I just got some LW climbing sticks delivered. I've been contemplating different platform set ups- Erniepower, I love your work! I was thinking about trying to fasten a platform to the top of a climbing stick. I could just get a Flip Top Seat Kit from LW:
https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Flip-Top-Seat-Kit__FTS.aspx

and take the top step off of one of my sticks. Magyver the flip-top-seat on there and cam it over. Boom, good to go.

Thoughts?
I think this is a pretty good idea, although I am new to this. From everything I have been told and done, when installing a tree stand, it is important to step down to the stand. With this in mind, I do not see how placing the platform on the top of a stick, will reduce, the height of the platform.

As an aside, I have a few stands and I am thinking about going to a saddle. Has anyone simply removed the standing platform off of a tree stand to leave the post and seat? This would leave a saddle type platform with a slightly longer post. I think I would need to add a vee bracket to the bottom since the removing the larger platform would eliminate the lower vee..thoughts?
Thanks, Tom

I think this is a pretty good idea, although I am new to this. From everything I have been told and done, when installing a tree stand, it is important to step down to the stand. With this in mind, I do not see how placing the platform on the top of a stick, will reduce, the height of the platform.

If you have a platform that is separate from your stick, you can gain an extra 1.5 foot or so in height. You are now going to step up from your last stick step to you platform, which is acting as another step.

Back