• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Consew 206 RB-4 acquired

sojourner

SH Member
Things are starting to get real for my DIY. Thanks to [mention]jhunter13 [/mention] for the lead on this and other machines. Thanks to [mention]4090Sharps [/mention] for his feedback with my questions.

Last revision Consew made in Japan.
Made by Seiko (Seiko STH-8BLD-3).
Upholstery class, triple feed machine.

Seen it sew, fwd and reverse (same hole and stitches locked nice).
No free play, turns over smooth.
Runs like a bat out of heck with the clutch motor.

Next steps, get some thread, bobbins and a servo motor, clean it up, get it working and sell off most of my vintage domestic machines.

c6d90c919e49dc617f9946702c8065c8.jpg

I am glad you finally found one - now I can stop being tempted by all the machines I was sending you for sale...

I am glad you finally found one - now I can stop being tempted by all the machines I was sending you for sale...

LOL, I am already thinking of the next purchase. Much appreciated your sharing the great finds!

[mention]jhunter13 [/mention] is a used industrial sewing machine deal finder “whisperer”!

I am going to keep this thread updated with my progress on getting the machine cleaned/oiled/set up and put into service. That way I can be accountable and not divert to another hobby/ interest until the machine is up, running and at least sewing some slings. An actual saddle will be for another thread and later.

I ordered:

a brushless servo and needle positioner, should be here next week.

Bobbins and a couple bobbin cases (I like to have a case for different thread sizes (69, 92 and 138), should be here by the weekend.

Measured out the table and decided where I am going to set up the machine in my home office.

I see the feet are curved underneath, maybe cording feet??? So I have to investigate that and possibly buy a set of regular feet.

I need to figure out what needles to order and order some variety pack.

I downloaded owners and parts manual.

Started the cleanup / oiling on the machine head.

Stay tuned next week for an update and maybe some pics.

Oh, and if anyone wants a data point on cost of used machine. I got the machine, table, clutch motor, thread and extra feet for $675. Original used sales price was $950. New (made in China consew or Japanese made Seiko are around $1,600 plus delivery). I feel it was a fair deal. I could have done a little better perhaps, and so could have the seller.

What really got me was the sales I was seeing, either the seller ghosted me, tried to scam me (on a sailrite), sold the machine before I got to them. When any were available and I talked to seller, they were way too much or too far away (and adding diesel fuel cost really increased the price of the machine). This one was 44 minutes from my house.

If one is interested in buying used, search Craig’s list and Facebook marketplace every day and be prepared to pounce on a deal. Good deals on nice used industrials seem to be grabbed up almost immediately.

Started working on the machine today.

First watched one of two 2 hour YouTube videos on setting up the machine.

This one is next to watch

Since it is snowing, I decided to forgo cleaning up the table today. I would have had to move my wife’s car out of the garage and clean up the table in the garage. Anticipated complaining, so I watched videos and started with the upper tension unit.

Unfortunately, the tension disks had grooves worn into them, so I am going to look for a place to order them.

Any good / quick places to order tension disks and spring?

7f40778b8c4ad88b85b958a7b3d04349.jpg

Some serious gunk caked on the machine when I got it. but Krud Kutter,and elbow grease got rid of most. There is still a reddish color I just cannot get off the machine.

I’ll not obsess over it and just consider it character.

The machine is moving even more freely due to the CLP, then the oiling. I still need to change the grease in 2 places.

Servo motor, bobbins, needles and standard presser feet (inner and outer) came in. It only came with welting/cording feet. Extra bobbin cases should be in on Monday. I plan on having one bobbin case for each thread size, 69 92 and 138.

Pic after cleaning, but before I put the tension assembly (worn discs and all) back on.
202c84139dd08aa18a70f5f057b0a943.jpg

working on cleaning approx 45 years of grime off of table.

i have an ergonomics question. the table is “shimmed” to table top height of about 33-1/2” and the chair that came with the table is about 23” high.

anyone who sews with an industrial have any input on this height for ergonomics?

i plan on finishing up cleaning the table and then putting the servo motor in.

i don’t know if i should remove the wood “shims” or not. this is an old table and the height cannot be adjusted.

thoughts?

186d06a21b6c5bd4c2bd300ea82a4a23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

working on cleaning approx 45 years of grime off of table.

i have an ergonomics question. the table is “shimmed” to table top height of about 33-1/2” and the chair that came with the table is about 23” high.

anyone who sews with an industrial have any input on this height for ergonomics?

i plan on finishing up cleaning the table and then putting the servo motor in.

i don’t know if i should remove the wood “shims” or not. this is an old table and the height cannot be adjusted.

thoughts?

186d06a21b6c5bd4c2bd300ea82a4a23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same table for my mercury. Mine just sits in the metal feet and it is just right for me. But I'm average height, 5'7". I use a regular chair with mine and is ok. I have also used a adjustable stool and that is a little high but works for me. If your a taller guy the blocks would probably be a good thing to keep.

I have the same table for my mercury. Mine just sits in the metal feet and it is just right for me. But I'm average height, 5'7". I use a regular chair with mine and is ok. I have also used a adjustable stool and that is a little high but works for me. If your a taller guy the blocks would probably be a good thing to keep.

Thanks. I am just under 6’. The table is higher than my office desk and the chair is taller than my office chair. I like the chair as it sits me up high.

I guess I will just try it as is (blocks and higher chair) and see how it works.

Back