• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crossbow from a saddle

Acts117

Anyone use a crossbow from a saddle? And have any tips or tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be using one. There's a couple threads on the subject if you search. Biggest tip I've read so far to be sure the area around the xbow limbs are clear and they won't anything when the shot goes off.

A good sling for your crossbow is a must. I have mine hanging like a tactical AR so it’s just a short lift to shooting position.

I hunt public land in NJ and DE where the deer are adept at picking up movement in the trees. So having my crossbow hanging in a tactical position minimizes movement when raising it to shooting position. Also it frees up my hands to do other things like grunting, helping move around the tree or eat a snack!

I hunt public land in NJ and DE where the deer are adept at picking up movement in the trees. So having my crossbow hanging in a tactical position minimizes movement when raising it to shooting position. Also it frees up my hands to do other things like grunting, helping move around the tree or eat a snack!

Do you wear a back band in your saddle? I ask because I tried using a sling, similiar to what you do last year. The problem was, after I got my crossbow situated I then put on my back band which meant my sling was under the back band. I didn't realize that until a decent buck started coming in on my right side. I went to swing the crossbow over and realized I couldn't. I was able to swing around the tree and get in a position to shoot but, ended up passing on him.

Just curious if/how you wear the backband with the sling.

Do you wear a back band in your saddle? I ask because I tried using a sling, similiar to what you do last year. The problem was, after I got my crossbow situated I then put on my back band which meant my sling was under the back band. I didn't realize that until a decent buck started coming in on my right side. I went to swing the crossbow over and realized I couldn't. I was able to swing around the tree and get in a position to shoot but, ended up passing on him.

Just curious if/how you wear the backband with the sling.
He doesn't wear a backband.

No backband. Just my tree saddle. I don’t wear anything that would restrict movement of the sling. I don’t use a backpack, but do use a multi-pocket fannypack that I take off and wrap it around the tree.

Back