• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Curious about spurs

Greybeard60

I'm curious how those of you using spurs overcome branches on your way up. Do you have a secondary linesman belt to throw over the branch before disconnecting your primary, or do you somehow use your tether for this purpose? I've watched several videos, but they all seem to show climbers on smooth stems that never address the issue.

Same here I’m also curious how they do on hard bark trees like maple, oak, beech ect. Most of the videos I’ve seen have been in soft bark trees. I’ve had minimal experience using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm about to venture off in the spur thing, and what I would be doing is using my tether as a second lineman's belt just like I do with sticks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hook my tether up as a second lineman's belt. At the top I take it off to hang.

Same here I’m also curious how they do on hard bark trees like maple, oak, beech ect. Most of the videos I’ve seen have been in soft bark trees. I’ve had minimal experience using them.
I like hard barked trees better. The spur goes in enough to climb but still pulls out easy. Sometimes in the soft barked trees the spur will dig in so deep and I really have to give it a good tug to get it out.

I hook my tether up as a second lineman's belt. At the top I take it off to hang.

I like hard barked trees better. The spur goes in enough to climb but still pulls out easy. Sometimes in the soft barked trees the spur will dig in so deep and I really have to give it a good tug to get it out.

Good to know I didn’t know if they slipped out more often but that makes sense.

I run two tether/linemans ropes that are identical. If I come to a limb I hookup the second one and keep going. I’m with Res I prefer harder bark trees where the spike doesn’t go in very deep. Most of the time I am hunting from maple trees in this area. I will be going to shorter pole spikes this year for that reason.

I run two tether/linemans ropes that are identical. If I come to a limb I hookup the second one and keep going. I’m with Res I prefer harder bark trees where the spike doesn’t go in very deep. Most of the time I am hunting from maple trees in this area. I will be going to shorter pole spikes this year for that reason.

If we ever get new spikes :tearsofjoy:

I doubt I would have enough time to practice for the season by the time the Kiwis are available. Although, Buckingham has some black aluminum spurs available in addition to their polished ones . . . tempting.

upload_2018-6-7_12-35-52.png

That was my next question what is everyone using for spurs? Seems a lot use Climb Right.

That was my next question what is everyone using for spurs? Seems a lot use Climb Right.

Yep climb rights.
f9baed28295c9d12e816deaf4261e12a.heic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt I would have enough time to practice for the season by the time the Kiwis are available. Although, Buckingham has some black aluminum spurs available in addition to their polished ones . . . tempting.

There wasn't a huge learning curve for me with my spurs.... Maybe I'm just adventurous lol.
I can't wait to use them this season. I love being sneaky in the woods, hard to do with sticks and a lock on.

I got Buckinghams with climb right pads. beautiful combination.

Do you need a platform if you're using spurs?
I have ameristeps on a strap but will be buying a platform soon. They are a little tricky getting off and on with a ring of steps. stepping on a platform and taking them off would be much easier.

Will you post a pic of the climb rite pads on the Buckinghams
There wasn't a huge learning curve for me with my spurs.... Maybe I'm just adventurous lol.
I can't wait to use them this season. I love being sneaky in the woods, hard to do with sticks and a lock on.

I got Buckinghams with climb right pads. beautiful combination.

I have ameristeps on a strap but will be buying a platform soon. They are a little tricky getting off and on with a ring of steps. stepping on a platform and taking them off would be much easier.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I run a second linesman belt regardless of climbing method.

X2. They both look the same. Same rope, ropeman, and carabiner.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6eaf1de3fa74ab71c28132bcad6992b4.jpg
afa3b6b6df7a882003d747c87fb4c9b9.jpg
dd458fc0b78e8bd31c2c6511436aeee3.jpg

They actually bolt up to the Spurs really nicely. Ive never used the leather pads but I’ve heard they can be aggravating. Nothing but good things to say about these

Last edited:
On another note, don't take it for granted that spurs are illegal on all public lands. I just got off the phone with the Administrative Captain for Minnesota DNR enforcement, and his interpretation is that spurs and screw-in-steps are perfectly legal, at least in Minnesota's forests and wildlife management areas (other than special hunts in parks or SNA's). He expounded on his interpretation to say he believed that neither method caused any lasting damage to the tree.

Back