• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

D!(k Move?

DIYSaddler

Just curious how you guys would take it. You show up at your local hunting area for a afternoon sit. When you get there there's two guys coming back in from their hunt. You ask them if they saw anything and they reply somewhat down heartedly that they haven't seen anything all day. So you're nice and let them know where you've seen some good sign and let them know they'll need to get pretty far in if they want to score. So the guy hold up the map and points to the access road in the opposite side of the conservation area and you let him know that there's no parking signs all over the place there and you'd need to get dropped off to go in that way.

So he says him and his buddy are going to drive around and check it out. You ask politely if they're headed there anyway could they let you throw you're gear in the back of the truck and give you a drop so you don't have to hike the 2.5miles in. Dude tells you "uh... I don't know man". He's obviously not down to help you out so you let it go.

Is he pulling a **** move in your opinion.

Here's a map of the area. My stand is at the water drop and the road access is the little finger going up to the road. The car on the far right is where I'm parked.
14890587_10209693528168690_4547084428497306453_o.jpg

When I meet people in the woods I get a "feel" for them and decide if I share or not. For the last few years it's been not sharing. Sometimes people want to share and others feel like your in there spot. I had a guy meet me walking down a steep 200 yard incline when I asked him if he saw any he said this was his doe spot and that's all he had seen. I know the area well and know that nobody would go through the trouble of dragging a doe out of there when there are flat fields to shoot does out of nearby.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Yeah. I kinda imagined they parked up there anyway and the locals slashed their tires. That made me feel better.

I agree with getting a feel. I've gotten some good advice on public land. On my second time out I got a couple great tips and responded with, "thanks, can you give me a vague idea of where you're headed so I can avoid the area and not ruin your hunt?". Some people are ****s. I'm probably too nice but that rarely comes back to haunt me so I go with it.

Don't let someone ruin your time in the woods, but as ghandi said, be the hunter you'd like to meet in the woods...or something like that.

Totally a d!)k move. I mean they obviously needed some help and you point them in the right direction. You were not asking to ride shotty but in the back. I honestly feel that as hunters we owe it to one another to help each other out. Its in the values or morals of being a hunter.

Every year i take a guy out that is new and needs to develop those outdoors man type skills. I show them the ropes. Now granted I don't reveal spots of mine that specifically hold the bruisers because hell some of these spots i have spent a few years trying to nail them. But i share a few and ask that they do the same for a new hunter in the future. Obviously you did not run into a group of hunters but people that hunt.

Its a diminishing lifestyle more and more play the xbox than want to be out in the woods enjoying gods creations you know. Plus I get its 2016 and you don't know who your dealing with as far as the sane people and the not so sane but obviously everyone in this situation has some level of protection if stuff went south you know!!

Hopefully they don't ruin your area due to your generosity.

Sorry, man. I just wanted to steal your spot. Nice sign in there by the way. I've got my ground blind all set up and 7 buck bombs all around it.

So for the most part I try to avoid hunter interactions any more. Most of the time it happens, it happens at the truck. During bow season nobody hunts anywhere near where I go. If I happen to be in the woods and I see other people coming, I'll usually just step aside out of sight until they pass. You don't know who the heck you're running in to out there, too many crazy people anymore. If I do happen to talk to anyone I am very tight lipped. I guarantee that the people out there aren't scouting as much as me so there is no reason for me to give away my hard earned knowledge.

The exception to this will be if I run into new or youth hunters (as long as they are nice). I am more than willing to share something useful to help get someone new engaged in our sport.

I had a new one last night. I am limited to hunting public land, and around the Minneapolis metro area, every inch of public land is full of people. It's beyond frustrating. This year I had a bunch of squirrel hunters shooting into the trees last week and this week a bunch of animal lovers walking through the woods screaming "I am not a deer. Repeat, I am not a deer." A minute later, "I am still not a deer." They were making a ton of noise and scaring every deer within a half a mile of them.

I am so ready to buy property or sign a lease.

I will be reaching out to everyone I know in mn to see if I can find some different property next year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I had a new one last night. I am limited to hunting public land, and around the Minneapolis metro area, every inch of public land is full of people. It's beyond frustrating. This year I had a bunch of squirrel hunters shooting into the trees last week and this week a bunch of animal lovers walking through the woods screaming "I am not a deer. Repeat, I am not a deer." A minute later, "I am still not a deer." They were making a ton of noise and scaring every deer within a half a mile of them.

I will be reaching out to everyone I know in mn to see if I can find some different property next year.

Did you hear about "petals" the bipedal bear on the news? Google him, that is what I have to deal with. People were actually posting on facebook that it is time to hunt the hunters. I think they should be put in jail because that is a threat on all of our lives, and it should not be tolerated. Its the same thing as a kid calling in a bomb threat to a high school.

Are there hunter harassment laws on the books there? Lots of douchebag antis here in Ma but from what I've heard/read the environmental police actually enforce the laws which is a bit surprising. I hunt all public land as well and ran into the same with squirrel hunters on Saturday. Aggravating then I remind myself they have the same right to be there as I do.

Are there hunter harassment laws on the books there? Lots of douchebag antis here in Ma but from what I've heard/read the environmental police actually enforce the laws which is a bit surprising. I hunt all public land as well and ran into the same with squirrel hunters on Saturday. Aggravating then I remind myself they have the same right to be there as I do.
That is a good attitude!

Need to get yourself some bludger tips and pop one of those salad tossers in the a$$ @ 70yards. They'd never know what hit them.

Last edited:
I once kindly reminded someone that said they were going to come and get me, that I spend the better part of 5 months a year, hunting animals in their own home, and have become an expert at hiding in plain sight. If that's the kind of thing you have in mind, I wish you the best of luck if you want to come to my home..

I once kindly reminded someone that said they were going to come and get me, that I spend the better part of 5 months a year, hunting animals in their own home, and have become an expert at hiding in plain sight. If that's the kind of thing you have in mind, I wish you the best of luck if you want to come to my home..
That's bike reminding the daughter's boyfriend that you regularly kill things much cuter and more innocent than he is. ;)

Back