DIY Climbing Stick (1.5lb)

Discussion in 'DIY' started by bowhunter15, Jun 13, 2017.

1. bowhunter15

bowhunter15 Active Member

I created a modified climbing stick where I used 1/16" wall 6061 tubing. Prior to this, I had made one from weaker 6063 aluminum from the hardware store, jumped around on the steps, and took note of where it deformed.

Switching to 6061 gives added strength, but I also reinforced the bolt locations by supporting the ID at the face and inserting sleeves made of 7075 aluminum, which is as strong as some mild steel. The sleeves serve to distribute the stress that would otherwise be concentrated on the thin wall of the tube.

Initially I wanted to make a fixed double step, but decided I wanted the ability to pack my sticks sideways. So I am designing some copycat Muddy steps but for the time being, put my Lone Wolf hardware on.

I knew I wanted to use the 1/4" Amsteel and versa button. The Lone Wolf versa button is too deep for the 1/4" rope, so I made a custom versa button from a .5" diameter, 3/8" long chrome sleeve and a fender washer. It squeezes the rope well.

This stick is 24" long with steps on top and bottom. The versa button is 10" down from the top. After a really brief evaluation in my back yard, I didn't see any bolt hole deformation. I will continue to evaluate, and if everything looks good. will machine the geared double steps.

Weight is currently 1 pound 8.6 ounces fully loaded, but that would increase with the double steps. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. ImThere

ImThere Active Member

Looks awesome. Do you have a mill, CNC or access to one? I imagine building those steps won't be cheap if you got to pay a machine shop

Sent from my
    Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
    At 20' up

3. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks awesome!

4. bowhunter15

[​IMG]

Ontariofarmer likes this.
  5. donnieballgame

Sweet, I'll take 6 please, lol

6. drew13

drew13 Member

Nice job, bh15. That looks great.

A question or possibly idea for you - have you thought about designing the bottom step in a way that would make it easier and/or safer to hang an aider from? The sharp edges of my LW steps always make me nervous that they're going to cut through my aider under tension. Also anything that would ensure it stays on the step, keeps it oriented properly and away from the tree would be helpful.

I haven't come up with any design ideas for this at the moment - just presenting a problem in need of a solution!...

Thanks,
    Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. bowhunter15

I've been thinking of a way to try and make an aider mate more cleanly with the bottom step. The trick would be doing it in such a way that it still folds and stacks nicely. I may play around with sewing a loop instead of tying one because the knots are fairly bulky and need to be moved to the side to stack.

8. PJC

PJC Member

Slick stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Carcher87

Carcher87 New Member

How much lol

10. Game Thumper

Game Thumper New Member

I have a really slick idea for putting the aiders in the bottom step (the muddy version bottom step). Ill draw up a quick sketch in the morning and send it to you on my lunch break.