• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you bring a pack?

scar1617

I was playing around with the set-up today and realized that a pack on the tree while in the saddle seemed cumbersome. There was no good place to put it and doing so would entail yet another step.
For those of you who take a pack up with you, where/how do you place it?
For those of you who don't, do you rig pouches of some kind to the aerohunter/saddle? or just keep everything on your person?
As far as bow hooks go. Any suggestions beyond the standard screw-in style?

thanks for the help

Our season opened Thursday and Thursday thru Sunday I hung in a new spot every hunt. This was my 1st time hunting from the saddle but I had practiced out of it all summer. Getting organized while actually hunting with all the gear was a big difference than just shooting in the yard out of the same tree. As the weekend went on I was getting better at it from setting up on different size trees and angles, setting steps, tying up at the right height and and hanging gear. Big learning curve!!!
I keep everything in my backpack and strap my lonewolf sticks to it.
At 1st I tied a rope around the tree and clipped my bag to it with a carabiner right above my knees in front of me. It was in the way when I say and straddled the tree at my chest. Didn't like it. For me I found the best place being a right handed shooter was carabining it to my tree strap on my right side. As of know I do see a need for me to have to walk around the tree that way making my tree strap wrap into my bag. I can't shoot that way from my hanging position anyway. To shoot that way I'd either walk all the way around the tree to my left or spin my body with my back against the tree to shoot that way.

I bring a pack. I put a step on the opposite side of the tree, usually around 1-2 o'clock(cause I'm righty) around waist height. I hang my bag from it and hang my quiver off my bag. I find in this spot it doesn't really get in the way because if I go around to my left I shoot around or over it, and I can walk around to my right and I just bump it at the end of how far I can go. I like it in this spot because I always can have another arrow in reach and all of my other stuff is right there.

I use a small pouch or 2 on my saddle for my linemans belt and tree strap.

I use the small gorilla accessory hooks for my bow. I have never seen a need for one of the big hanging hooks.

The past 2 years I carried everything on my Saddle in 2 or 3 accessory bags. This year I switched to carrying a pack with me. I must say, I really prefer the pack method. I strap my LW sticks and extra clothes to my pack and store the saddle in the main compartment. I used to walk to the stand wearing the saddle and carrying my sticks with a Strapworks Universal Carry Strap. The pack is much more comfortable and user friendly.

Once I'm in the stand I use a 3 hook accessory strap. It works great and I can put it on in about 15 seconds. Screw ins aren't legal where I hunt so this buckle strap fits the bill. I keep 1 of the hooks on the left side of the tree at 10 o'clock for my bow. Another hook goes on the back side of the tree at about 1 o'clock for my quiver. The last hook goes at 2 or 3 o'clock for my pack. I hang the strap at about head height, just above or below my rope hookup, for easy access to grunt, rattle antlers, range finder, etc.

This new system has been working extremely well and I don't see changing it any time soon.

This is the strap I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/Pine-Ridge-Archery-Hunt-n-Gear-Equipment/dp/B003GV8FF2

I hang it on the other side of the tree about 1 o'clock too. Quiver at 2 o'clock. Camera arm at 4 o'clock. Bow holder at 9 o'clock.

Re:

BassBoysLLP said:
I hang it on the other side of the tree about 1 o'clock too. Quiver at 2 o'clock. Camera arm at 4 o'clock. Bow holder at 9 o'clock.
I'm assuming you're righty. Does your camera come out and point on the right side of the tree around the tree (lets assume you're shooting on your left side, or does it come under your bridge?

Yes. I am right hander. keep it under the bridge facing my strong (left) side. Have the camera on the weak side keeps it out of the wat. I move as necessary.

Re:

BassBoysLLP said:
Yes. I am right hander. keep it under the bridge facing my strong (left) side. Have the camera on the weak side keeps it out of the wat. I move as necessary.

Any chance we can get a pic? What arm and camera are you using?

No, I don't usually carry one but I hunt where it's warm. Don't have to carry a lot of clothes.

Re: Re:

kenn1320 said:
BassBoysLLP said:

Any chance we can get a pic? What arm and camera are you using?

I'll try to get a pic up soon. I don't have one on my phone. I use a Muddy Pro Arm with the silent strap. Manfrotto 128rc fluid head with varizoom VZrock on handle bar. Main camera is Canon G30. I'm still paying around with the second angle with this set up. I currently have a biner ranger wrapped on the tether where I put an octopus mount AS100v but I'm getting a bit of twist when moving so I may go back to the wide angle with AS100v on the ascender.

This video is close to how I use a camera in the web/saddle. He is a lefty so everything is flipped in my case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qgB2hu2RM

[youtube]0-qgB2hu2RM[/youtube]

810a86dbdf949fee5a4bb5838d1b2767.jpg
5bcee96c87fea38767ee2f62c74ecec9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a fanny pack, which I strap around the tree at waist level while hunting. That way I have easy access to grunt tubes, range finder, phone, snack, etc.

What packs would people recommend for a day pack I walk in with my saddle an would like to just be able to put everything in a pack an strap the stick to it. Possibly the bow also but that not a deal breaker.

Re: RE: Re: Do you bring a pack?

IHI6FAN said:
What packs would people recommend for a day pack I walk in with my saddle an would like to just be able to put everything in a pack an strap the stick to it. Possibly the bow also but that not a deal breaker.
I use an Alps Pursuit for that very thing. They were on sale at Amazon for $73. I don't strap my bow to the pack, only the sticks. Everything else I need fits inside.

Here is my pack and where I hang it.

Thanks,
Boswell

Attachments

• DSCI0717.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
I have been searching forva pack an I finally found one that suits my neads its the eberlestock F1 pack frame with the F2 transformer pack I can haul the saddle extra clothes snacks all my gear an strap my sticks an bow to it. I have it loaded down an it weights 40lbs an with it strapped on it feels great.
I hope to cut down that weight with diffrent sticks I have gorrila climbing stick an they are heavy.

Back