• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Easy Aider by metiolious

Ontariofarmer

So I tried one of these aiders. My opinions.

1. [Sorry I do not do video's so this is a verbal video.
  2. With my modified helium stick I could get 84 inches with the first stick.
  3. I could insert my foot in the aider with my foot at ground level - nice for balance and flexibility.
  4. I used a heavy winter boot and cinched the aider tight to my foot with room to spare.
  5. This aider will likely stay on your foot as you climb without falling off so you do not have to worry about dropping it as you move it up the tree.
  6. I am 5 foot 10 inches and 60 years old. I could pull my foot up to just over 30 inches high and then take another 30 inch step to my 23 inch stick I think having your foot cinched into the aider allows for safer and higher moves with each step.[/B]
  7. I could adjust the aider as easily with one hand as a ropeman or kong. I have a similar aider from another company that does not adjust as easily and does not cinch as tight to the foot.
  8. I attached the aider to my stick with a piece of 7 mm static rope in a loop. The aider is designed to be attached to a rope with a biner.
  9. Coming down the multiple parts of the webbing were slightly annoying and I had to be sure there were no tangles.
  10. Danger... It is possible to accidentally release the aider if you grab the release handle.
  11. I expect with a second aider using a second stick to place the first stick, could get an additional 30 inches on the first move up the tree or 114 inches. Not bad. With this method you could get 114+84+24 to a platform 220 inches... with two sticks. and a platform... Less than 5 pounds for the sticks and aiders. Or 84+84+24 + 192 inches with just a single aider and two sticks.
  12. I have got comfortable with a six step aider this year and this system is not for everyone but I intend trying this and practicing this for 2018.
  13. https://www.metoliusclimbing.com/easy_aider.html
  14. The cost is no more than a kong with a homemade aider.
  15. Probably less noise and slightly lighter than a kong or ropeman and a biner.
  16. The aider will reach about 7 feet without any further rope or webbing attached and with the foot loop at ground level.
  17. There is a right and left foot aider. I bought the grey one which goes on the right foot.
  18. This aider is strong enough but certainly not rated for a fall
  19. You can adapt this to Red's method and I think BC hunters method of aider use.
ez-aid.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! 5' off the ground with a single aider. That's awesome! I'm definitely going to try this out. I'd love to replace my three 4-step aiders with one I could carry up with me.

Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

IMG_2996.JPG
c0be8150e747cd352bd5d6e663ceb2b1.jpg

Ground level attachment and foot cinched into a Keen size 11 winter boot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IMG_2997.JPG
4c1d593ddae3afc80cd25ef666a1cdb7.jpg

Raising my foot off the ground

Last edited:
IMG_3005.JPG
28b881a0b54737f3921ef270415cc548.jpg

Rope attachment instead of a biner

My bad version of a video. G2 will buy one and do a great video

Last edited:
Another thing I have thought about is I would put a stick on the tree. Attach the second stick and aider while standing on the first stick and remove the first stick sort of like a modified one stick climb without getting to the top of my initial stick. I will probably try this. It would allow for a large initial move. . I know coming down I would have to reattach the stick I carry up with me. I guess the advantage is all the one sticking is close to ground level and you only need to use your linemans belt. Maybe you could gain an extra... 30 inches on the first move still using only one aider. Another thing to try.

Last edited:
Reactions: MJH
I ordered a second aider today. Maybe I could use is as a plaform. The stirrup is wide (several inches wide) and I have seen on this site where someone used a dual aider attached to a tether for a platform. If that does not work it will allow me to gain an extra 30 inches on the first stick or 114 inches in total

Last edited:
I want to try one as it would probably simplify things and reduce the bulk of multiple etriers. How is coming down @Ontariofarmer?? By that i mean just the process? Do you feel safe while doing it?

I want to try one as it would probably simplify things and reduce the bulk of multiple etriers. How is coming down @Ontariofarmer?? By that i mean just the process? Do you feel safe while doing it?
I have only tried it twice. But I bought a second one so I do like it so far. All aiders are tricky to fish your foot into coming down. With this one I would always leave it cinched on the foot so I will never have to do any fishing for an aider loop.
The only problem I encountered was making sure it was not tangled up as I dropped my foot down. There are two webbing straps on the vertical. Also you want to make sure you have not changed the length as you climb down or perhaps mark the sweet spot on the aider.
My experience with aiders is that practice makes me feel safe. With a six step aider that I used this year, I only had it kick out in the beginning, with time that became a non issue when I made sure my form was good and I took my time. The problem with a six step aider is all the steps and they are too close together. I could get 110 inches on the first stick if I used a second stick to place the lowest stick. This is why I want to change.
This aider is likely very comfortable a long time on the foot.

As far as safety. Not having to fish my foot in an aider is great. The possibility of grabbing the release on the aider is real but that would only cause you to drop your foot a few feet. My thoughts so far.

So I went out and tried it again just now. I got 14 feet with two sticks and one aider. My thoughts.
  1. I felt safer coming down than going up. I could make a bigger first move down with my aider by holding on to the stick.Not having to fish your foot into an aider made going down easier.
  2. Going up and making a 30 inch move you need your linemans belt a little loose. I can see if I dropped maybe two inches per move I could be more vertical. A vertical position is important so that any aider will not kick out. I am 5 foot 10 inches so a taller guy might not have to lean out much. Maybe with more practice I will feel confident. I did make the 30 inch move several times and the tree was a wet narrow pine and was slippery. So it would be the worst possible conditions for an aider because your boot is more likely to slip on the tree
  3. I am confident that this is better than the method than I used all year. Not so many steps and no boot fishing.
  4. I will try two aiders attached to the same place but adjusted to different heights to increase my initial move when I get the second aider I ordered. Doing this I will get another 2.5 feet on two sticks or 16.5 feet total.
  5. The adjustment is as easy as a ropeman.
  6. I think this will work. Time will tell. I made a six step aider work all fall but I know many people thought they were not safe. I did not have any problems except maybe the first dozen times I used it. Climbing in a vertical positions and foot pressure down and against the tree makes all the difference with aiders. The other issue is fishing your foot in an aider. The problem is non existent with the easy aider. Your foot is always fully inserted and will not come off.

Last edited:
Well no 800 bow site but just spent 80 bucks on two nylon straps. I hope i'm at Saddlepalooza when the CC bill gets to the house for this month. Thanks Ontariofarmer you got G2 off the hook.

Blame G 2 anyway I hope you like them

I have only tried it twice. But I bought a second one so I do like it so far. All aiders are tricky to fish your foot into coming down. With this one I would always leave it cinched on the foot so I will never have to do any fishing for an aider loop.
The only problem I encountered was making sure it was not tangled up as I dropped my foot down. There are two webbing straps on the vertical. Also you want to make sure you have not changed the length as you climb down or perhaps mark the sweet spot on the aider.
My experience with aiders is that practice makes me feel safe. With a six step aider that I used this year, I only had it kick out in the beginning, with time that became a non issue when I made sure my form was good and I took my time. The problem with a six step aider is all the steps and they are too close together. I could get 110 inches on the first stick if I used a second stick to place the lowest stick. This is why I want to change.
This aider is likely very comfortable a long time on the foot.

As far as safety. Not having to fish my foot in an aider is great. The possibility of grabbing the release on the aider is real but that would only cause you to drop your foot a few feet. My thoughts so far.

I am gonna give them a try. I have never had issues with aiders. I truly believe in practice makes perfect though and form is paramount. Im the same height as you and feel the same about most aider steps being so close you actually cheat yourself the gains in height.

I really don't ever have a problem getting my foot in my aider going up or down?

I really don't ever have a problem getting my foot in my aider going up or down?

It is more challenging with multiple steps coming down.
  1. Also taking a thirty inch step would be difficult unless your foot was cinched in. A thirty inch step down to an aider in the dark and making sure you get your boot deep in the aider is a bit challenging. A single 23 inch step is easier for sure.
  2. The foot cinched to the aider allows for bigger moves safely
  3. Also if you are not too flexible you can pull your foot higher than you can lift it, especially if you are trying to fish it into an aider IMO I am not flexible enough. I know if I try to put my foot on my desk which is thirty inches high I cannot do it easily unless I pull my leg up. If you also have to put your foot deep in an aider at 30 inches high it becomes even more difficult. Try it on a desk and you will see what I mean.
  4. You also do not have to worry about dropping your aider as you move it from stick to stick because it is attached to your foot.
  5. I also can adjust the height easily
  6. I may also try using it as a platform. Some one on this forum has tried this. This is a very foot friendly aider. Comfortable.
  7. Two of these aiders may allow me to move just over 9 feet in the first move
  8. With two I may even get 8 ft on the second stick. I have not tried it yet
  9. I know I can move 14 feet with 2 sticks and one aider. I don't think I can do that with an aider that does not adjust. Maybe a younger taller guy could but I cannot.
These are the reason I am going to try this aider.

How long are your aiders Dave.

Last edited:
What are you attaching the aiders to ? Are you attaching them to the sticks and if so are you attaching to the top of climbing sticks ? Can u show picture

What are you attaching the aiders to ? Are you attaching them to the sticks and if so are you attaching to the top of climbing sticks ? Can u show picture

I believe he is running a 7mm rope through the spot intended for the carabiner and then sliding the aider over the top of the stick!

Blame G 2 anyway I hope you like them
You can thank the guys on saddlehunter.com or I would have never known of your product.
Thanks,
Bongo

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 11:35 PM, Erik Von Heideken <erikvon@metoliusclimbing.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Dan McGrew,
>
> Thank you very much for your order!
>
> Attached is a copy of your Metolius Invoice #INV161157.
>
> If you have any questions, you may reply to this email
> or call Metolius customer service @ 541-382-7585.
>
> We appreciate your business!
> <Metolius Mountain Products, Inc._INV161157.pdf>

G2 potential new sponsor.

Back