• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Experienced ideas wanted

Billfresh

Ok...I am new to this saddle hunting. I am still waiting(impatiently) for my Kestral to arrive. 5 weeks and counting. Anyway...I am trying to read up on this forum as well as others, what type of platform I should try as a beginner. I did buy a set of Stepp Ladder steps for the ascent/descent. I have never used or even tried on a saddle so there will be lots of practice to be done prior to hunting this fall. I hunt with a compound as well as a Ravin crossbow. Looking at so many different ways guys on here are utilizing or making platforms.

Can I ask for some general thoughts or advice from some experienced voices? How did you start, and did you adjust or change methods for platforms after you figured things out more? i do not do any deep woods, a mile off the trail hunts. Mostly I will be hunting my own private properties on 100 acre and down size lots. I am trying to minimize the amount of "crap" I need to carry in and out with me so I want a decent platform that does not mimic a small hanging stand in size and weight. I own a small business and have a machine shope available so I am able and willing to make or modify things if it is the best option for me.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. Pictures are awesome if you have any.

I have used the strap on Ameristeps and liked them, but currently use 3 wild edge steps as a platform. My desire was the same as yours, cut the excess junk. 8 steps and an Aider get me 25ft or so with 3 stepps at the top so I can swing 360 around a tree.

I have used the strap on Ameristeps and liked them, but currently use 3 wild edge steps as a platform. My desire was the same as yours, cut the excess junk. 8 steps and an Aider get me 25ft or so with 3 stepps at the top so I can swing 360 around a tree.
I agree if you already have stepps then that’s a perfect setup, w/o any extra frills. Start there & see how you feel. You could start getting your climbing method dialed in. I know stepps take a bit of practice to become comfortable/proficient with. Check out @Cain & @boyne bowhunter for some tips on the stepp knot tie & untie..... great help. I started with sticks & an Ernie’s platform, then tried sticks & a ring of ameristeps on a strap. I think that is my favorite so far, but you will have to tinker to see what’s comfortable for you. If I had a lighter climbing method I may like the platform better...

With the stepp platform, start with setting 2 level. Once you get good at that, try 3. If you can set 4, pm me and share the secret!

Also, it is very important to get a good cam over. If you don't, you'll know it once you apply side pressure. If you're not sure it's tight, take an extra few seconds and reset it.

Ok...I am new to this saddle hunting. I am still waiting(impatiently) for my Kestral to arrive. 5 weeks and counting. Anyway...I am trying to read up on this forum as well as others, what type of platform I should try as a beginner. I did buy a set of Stepp Ladder steps for the ascent/descent. I have never used or even tried on a saddle so there will be lots of practice to be done prior to hunting this fall. I hunt with a compound as well as a Ravin crossbow. Looking at so many different ways guys on here are utilizing or making platforms.

Can I ask for some general thoughts or advice from some experienced voices? How did you start, and did you adjust or change methods for platforms after you figured things out more? i do not do any deep woods, a mile off the trail hunts. Mostly I will be hunting my own private properties on 100 acre and down size lots. I am trying to minimize the amount of "crap" I need to carry in and out with me so I want a decent platform that does not mimic a small hanging stand in size and weight. I own a small business and have a machine shope available so I am able and willing to make or modify things if it is the best option for me.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts. Pictures are awesome if you have any.

I initially used a small tree stand (mellenium m7u) with the seat removed because that was something I already had (6 lbs and nice for preset trees with brackets already placed). I then made a platform with Earnie’s kit and an XOP seat. I liked it a lot but rarely use it now.
I have been using Wild Edge Stepps with an aider to climb with and for my platform. I like how compact the Stepps pack up and they are very solid when set. 8 Stepps is plenty to climb with and for my platform (8lbs). They are what I used the last half of the season for my platform.
I think how comfortable you are in your saddle and which platform is comfortable for you depends on what position you use in the saddle.
I find if I lean in my saddle, I have more weight on my feet and my feet get uncomfortable unless I have a bigger platform like one that uses an XOP seat.
If I sit in the saddle with my knees against the tree (I need a pad on the tree or knee pads), most of my weight is in my seat and smaller steps such as Wild Edge Stepps are comfortable.
My size 1 Kestrel used to pinch me in the hips and get uncomfortable until I saw a post on here that recommended wearing the saddle belt between the top of the femur and the hip bone instead of on the hips like I’d wear my pants belt. That change in position helped a lot.
I hope this information helps. Get ‘hang time’ with your new Kestrel when it arrives. It’s a great way to hunt.

I initially used a small tree stand (mellenium m7u) with the seat removed because that was something I already had (6 lbs and nice for preset trees with brackets already placed). I then made a platform with Earnie’s kit and an XOP seat. I liked it a lot but rarely use it now.
I have been using Wild Edge Stepps with an aider to climb with and for my platform. I like how compact the Stepps pack up and they are very solid when set. 8 Stepps is plenty to climb with and for my platform (8lbs). They are what I used the last half of the season for my platform.
I think how comfortable you are in your saddle and which platform is comfortable for you depends on what position you use in the saddle.
I find if I lean in my saddle, I have more weight on my feet and my feet get uncomfortable unless I have a bigger platform like one that uses an XOP seat.
If I sit in the saddle with my knees against the tree (I need a pad on the tree or knee pads), most of my weight is in my seat and smaller steps such as Wild Edge Stepps are comfortable.
My size 1 Kestrel used to pinch me in the hips and get uncomfortable until I saw a post on here that recommended wearing the saddle belt between the top of the femur and the hip bone instead of on the hips like I’d wear my pants belt. That change in position helped a lot.
I hope this information helps. Get ‘hang time’ with your new Kestrel when it arrives. It’s a great way to hunt.
Good advice! To each their own. With practice, you'll find your comfort zone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am not an over experienced saddle hunter but that's why I feel like I need to tell you my thoughts. I started this season off with the stepps and a sitdrag. They were very uncomfortable for me for a while. Climbing was a pain and my feet killed me after a couple hour hunt. And about the time I almost went back to my lock ons I found what was comfortable. Now I can make all day sits with the same setup. But I did build me a simple platform out of aluminum that I use most of the time but I do use my stepps also. So don't give up on it if you cant get comfortable after a short time. If you have the ability to weld aluminum I built a 10"x12" platform out of some 1" tubing with a 2"x3" tube for my post that is 8 inches long if I remember right. Weighs in right around 5lbs.

I am not an over experienced saddle hunter but that's why I feel like I need to tell you my thoughts. I started this season off with the stepps and a sitdrag. They were very uncomfortable for me for a while. Climbing was a pain and my feet killed me after a couple hour hunt. And about the time I almost went back to my lock ons I found what was comfortable. Now I can make all day sits with the same setup. But I did build me a simple platform out of aluminum that I use most of the time but I do use my stepps also. So don't give up on it if you cant get comfortable after a short time. If you have the ability to weld aluminum I built a 10"x12" platform out of some 1" tubing with a 2"x3" tube for my post that is 8 inches long if I remember right. Weighs in right around 5lbs.
Way to "HANG" in there!:smile:

And about the time I almost went back to my lock ons I found what was comfortable. Now I can make all day sits with the same setup.

This x100. Saddle hunting for me had a steep learning curve, especially the steps. It's not so much that it's hard; it's just different. At first I was really tempted to go back to my hand climber because I was so familiar with it. Now that I've got a system dialed in, I don't ever see going back.

Stick it out.

This x100. Saddle hunting for me had a steep learning curve, especially the steps. It's not so much that it's hard; it's just different. At first I was really tempted to go back to my hand climber because I was so familiar with it. Now that I've got a system dialed in, I don't ever see going back.

Stick it out.
Agreed. Once you get dialed in and comfortable, there really isn't a better way to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It may slightly mimic a lock on but Ernie’s platforms are the “user and feet friendliest” that I have came across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is an Ernie platform?

44cd8942993671e136bcab9ecfa4bc52.jpg
IMG_0427.JPG

Erniepower designed and makes kits for them. PM him or look up his thread for more details. They work excellent for my style of hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a few brand new that I'd sell if you are intested in one.
What all is it? The platform, the strap(rope), and a vertical support? What is the weight on these? I have Wild Edge steps so I have been told these work well as a platform once you figure out how to use them that way. I wonder if both platform and steps are options depending on the hunting situation that day. The steps would be easier since i am already carrying the bag anyway but so many here are saying a larger foot platform is the way to go. I can see for a long hunt, using both together. A primary platform with a left and right step on the sides. Obvious question...what would the damages be for one of yours? What state are you in, besides euphoria?

It looks exactly like the photo above. I took the amsteel off, you would just need to figure out what you wanted to use to strap it on, lots of info on that on the forum. I don't use these platforms so I am willing to let them go for a good deal to new saddle hunters, plus I get to get rid of stuff taking up space so I can buy more stuff to replace it! Lots of people like platforms lately, some guys are using the wild edge stepps, some are using ameristeps. In the end it is a matter of finding what you prefer. I'm in NJ.

It looks exactly like the photo above. I took the amsteel off, you would just need to figure out what you wanted to use to strap it on, lots of info on that on the forum. I don't use these platforms so I am willing to let them go for a good deal to new saddle hunters, plus I get to get rid of stuff taking up space so I can buy more stuff to replace it! Lots of people like platforms lately, some guys are using the wild edge stepps, some are using ameristeps. In the end it is a matter of finding what you prefer. I'm in NJ.
sounds fair. what is the amsteel you mention?

Back