• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

favorite boots?

trukweaz

Folks,
new to the saddle and so far i like it. lots of tough to get to places made easier without a stand.

I have hunted in 2 pairs of lacrosse alpha style boots the last few years. a basic pair for fall, then a 1000 gram insulated pair for the winter. They work fine for climbing then sitting.

after 1 trip out in my saddle though, my feet hurt from standing on the small steps, jim stepps or whatever I stood on for 2+ hours.

do you guys (or gals) use a different style boot? something with more substantial sole and support?

Thanks!
-Kurt

ok, similar to what I have. do you find the standard lace up style can be smelled by deer too easily?

I have had the lace up style boots before and if you spray them down I don't think they notice

I have had the lace up style boots before and if you spray them down I don't think they notice
ok, thanks. I have 2 pairs of Lacrosse. they are fine. but standing on a small step or thin platform had me thinking about something with more support

I have danner pronghorns. Really like them until I get on tree steps. Not talking pain, its the leather on the inside of your foot that squeaks loudly.

Standard rubber boots, even my old lacrosse were painful on my feet. Probably wouldn't even notice with the xop platform now.

I bounce between muck and danner pronghorns. No squeak for me with either but that is just me

I drop thick wool inserts into my lacrosse aeroheads. I really prefer minimalist shoes but they don't feel good on small steps.

What inserts are you using. I have some aeroheads. I don't really care for them but the inerts might change that so I can get some more use out of them

ok, similar to what I have. do you find the standard lace up style can be smelled by deer too easily?
What type are you talking about? If you're not wearing rubber boots, then yes the deer are definitely smelling the trail you leave where you walk. Whether they are bothered by it all depends on where you are and there tolerance for pressure.

My cabelas boots that don't have any strings by far best boot ever. U just twist the know and it tightens the wire in the boot up.

What I haven't tested yet is to see if I can wear my Steger Mukluks on steps if they have the inserts in them. I LOVE these boots but they might not be stiff enough unless I add something in them....which I could cut my own stiffer insert
IMG_1479.jpg

I bounce between muck and danner pronghorns. No squeak for me with either but that is just me

Lucky. Maybe I need some leather conditioner/water proofing? They seem dry and I just looked, one has developed a crack/hole in the area in question and these boots are only a couple years old. :fearscream:

Back