• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

G.P.S. ideas, and recommendations?

100rollie

Looking to step up into the 21 century. Have always used topo maps, compass, printed off ariel photos. Looking to purchase a G.P.S. any information would be appreciated.

I absolutely love my Montana. It's the older version but I still take it every time I'm in the woods. You can find the newer version on camofire or AT for around 340.

If you have a friend with the garmin dvds, he can load maps for you. The dvds weren't registered to a device. They are a little hard to find now as three are discontinued.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just upgraded to a garmin oregon 650 from a oregon 450. I got a good deal on camofire about a month ago. A few years ago I busted the screen on the 450. I was able to order a replacement from china and get it in but it wasn't easy. That being said, I just finished setting it up last weekend and I expect to have it in the woods tomorrow. At first glance the 650 seems like a pretty big upgrade so we'll see soon. I will be keeping the 450 as a backup unit because I have to come to rely on my gps so much. It is an integral part of my scouting gear. I always keep it available during hunting but I don't need it during my hunts most of the time because most of my spots are pre-prepped.

You can get lots of free topo maps online if you search around. I have become a pretty big fan of the garmin birdseye imagery since I can easily load it onto the gps. It is $30 for a year subscription.

I have an Oregon 600 got it dirt cheap but it came with no maps other than the worthless garmin base map. I got the onX huntmap for my state and it is now turbocharged.

The unit itself is easy enough to use but there are some settings you need to tweak to get optimal battery life. I like that I can add waypoints with the touch of a button, and also that it's a very rugged device. So far I've put 30miles on it doing post season deer scouting. The tracking is within a couple of meters which is very impressive.

I use garmin basecamp and google earth to manage waypoints and routes. A little cumbersome but the satellite availability for google earth is better than garmin imo.

Would like to try using my iPhone as a dedicated gps for a Pepsi challenge but haven't gotten there yet. Kind of like putting away the phone when I'm scouting, one less device to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a garmin 62s. It has suited me well. What ever you decide make sure you can copy your waypoints or routes to a pc so you can bring them up in google earth or caltopo so you can see the big picture. It helps.

Last edited:
If you have a smartphone already I’d consider giving it a try before buying a gps unit. I pay for onX maps because I love to check out new places but there are other apps as well. I haven’t tested my phone as a gps enough yet to know for sure how accurate but it seems to be very accurate. I can see myself leaving my actual gps in the truck when trying to cut down weight in the future. I have a Oregon 500, works great and is easy to use. I’m sure they’ve even got better since, but you may find your phone can be easier, faster, and cheaper. I hardly use my phone in the woods but it’s always with me anyway, might be the most important safety item to carry. Emergency contact, backup flashlight, and gps.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, trying the apps. first on my iPhone. Loading OnXmaps now.

I use OnX, and I have tried other gps apps on my phone. I have never been happy with their accuracy. My current system is a combination of onX/google earth on my phone with birdseye imagery/topo on my garmin oregon 650. I was pretty disappointed with the oregon 650 when I first got it. It sucked batteries. I made a few changes in the settings including turning the screen off and now it works much better.

I use onx and really like it. I use a combo of apps including google maps and measure map which I really like as well

Thanks, just added google maps, and measure map lite. Will play with all the next few days.

Personally, I use the free version of the Huntstand app. Don't know how I hunted without it. The scouting/mapping function let's you draw and measure lines and polygons, which is useful for things like checking how far you'll have to wade through a swamp or how many acres a beaver pond is. Let's you drop pins with notes attached. The weather forecast is generally pretty accurate, and while I don't put much faith in lunar charts, it has that as well.

I had a bit of a learning curve with it because it just does SO much, but next to a good set of cold weather clothes and a saddle, it has been my most helpful tool for hunting everything from squirrels to deer.

Drove 9 hours north today for a couple days of scouting, gonna put some of this new technology to work. Thanks for all the help!!

I just use a cheap gps with black and white screen . Matter of fact it saved my butt last night in a national forest. I got turned around and no cell service ,turned on the gps compass and I was headed in wrong direction big time . Maybe one day I will upgrade also. Thank God for GPS.

I just use a cheap gps with black and white screen . Matter of fact it saved my butt last night in a national forest. I got turned around and no cell service ,turned on the gps compass and I was headed in wrong direction big time . Maybe one day I will upgrade also. Thank God for GPS.
I would upgrade soon, the old formats are beginning to fade out...my old Garmin 12 can't even find itself.

20180128_114721.jpg

I clip a small compass to my fletch cover and it's with me at all times...no batteries to worry about ....I also have a gps and my phone.

I do the same. It is easy to get turned around in the woods.

I have a real old gps. The original Garmin etrax.

I also have hunstand in my phone.

I use a Garmin etrex 20 with an onxmaps chip. Great combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back