• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear / Accessory Pouches for your Saddle

d_rek

I'll be receiving my New Tribe Aero Hunter Evolution tomorrow (yay early x-mas!). One thing I really liked about my trophyline saddle was the removeable accessory pouches. They were perfect for stowing the treestrap and linemans belt, but even better for putting easy access items like calls, rangefinder, etc. into after I set my strap and got upto hunting height.

Question to evolution users:

• Are you using gear pouches / accessory bags on your saddle?
  • What brand and where did you buy?
  • Care to share some pics?

I always considered buying an extra MOLLE pouch or two for my treesaddle since it has the daisy chained webbing around the waist. It doesn't look like the evolution has the same type of webbing, but does have a couple of rings/slots for gear bags.

Thanks,
d_rek

A lot of people here don't like them.
Carrying weight in your Saddle while hiking in doesn't work well.
I tried carrying my Tree Bolts in a pouch and it makes the saddle sag.
I might try a different pouch setup using TWO of them to distribute it better.
You could add suspenders.

I have a few Dump Pouches on my saddle.
I keep my Linesmans belt in one and my Tree Rope in the other (on opposite sides).

I was trying to carry my Platform strap up in a 3rd pouch but it was never easy enough to get it in and out of the pouch.
I switched to carrying my platform and Tree Bolts in a shoulder bag.

I do want to try to find an easy quick access way to carry my Pruners and Folding saw on my Saddle while being able to get to them one-handed with gloves on.
They are also in my shoulder bag.

Another benefit of the shoulder bag is that I just hang it on the tree with my pack so I don't get stuck holding extra weight and bulk all through the hunt.
BUT
Some items are a good idea to keep ON YOU when in the tree.
Think about what you would need if you had an accident or equipment failure of some kind.

justsomedude said:
A lot of people here don't like them.
Carrying weight in your Saddle while hiking in doesn't work well.
I tried carrying my Tree Bolts in a pouch and it makes the saddle sag.
I might try a different pouch setup using TWO of them to distribute it better.
You could add suspenders.

I have a few Dump Pouches on my saddle.
I keep my Linesmans belt in one and my Tree Rope in the other (on opposite sides).

I was trying to carry my Platform strap up in a 3rd pouch but it was never easy enough to get it in and out of the pouch.
I switched to carrying my platform and Tree Bolts in a shoulder bag.

I do want to try to find an easy quick access way to carry my Pruners and Folding saw on my Saddle while being able to get to them one-handed with gloves on.
They are also in my shoulder bag.

Another benefit of the shoulder bag is that I just hang it on the tree with my pack so I don't get stuck holding extra weight and bulk all through the hunt.
BUT
Some items are a good idea to keep ON YOU when in the tree.
Think about what you would need if you had an accident or equipment failure of some kind.

You know i hadn't really even considered that my aero hunter won't have shoulder straps like my trophyline saddle did. But yes, just a basic dump pouch for my tree strap. Otherwise i guess i'll be rolling it around my sleeve to haul up...

I clip my tree strap to a side d ring AMD clip the other end of the strap to the same biner attached to the d ring. Then I tie one or two loose figure eight knots. I find that keeps it out of the way, and I don't need a pouch.

I really like having both my linesman's belt and tree strap in dump pouches.
Way less fidgeting around tying up the lines in the loops.
I kept getting lines tangled while hiking in and out (I go through lots of thick brush).
I've gotten them tangled on steps while climbing.
AND if they'll stay in the pouches, it is cleaner when you pack it up.
And it makes putting the saddle on easier.

I have also used Dump pouches as a Bow Rest...Bow over my shoulder and bottom limb in the pouch.

I have thought about trying to rig up a thigh rig for a Bow holder.
Though I often just use my Boots for that.

get on a tower climbing site go thru there gear. They make many pouches to go on your harness. I work as a tower climber and they have pouches small enough for cell phones and big enough for all your steps.

rauge said:
get on a tower climbing site go thru there gear. They make many pouches to go on your harness. I work as a tower climber and they have pouches small enough for cell phones and big enough for all your steps.
Any links to a recommended site?

Even better, go to an army surplus store and buy used molle pouches. They are much cheaper, work just as well as the Trophyline models, and also come in various sizes. I have a ton of them sitting in my garage....

redsquirrel said:
rauge said:
Any links to a recommended site?

wesspur.com has a few small pouches. I prefer one larger pouch with a open end to just drop stuff in like rangefinder, cellphone stuff like that. You can get them with draw string tops if worried about dropping gear but I have never lost anything climbing.

I didn't like the size of the molle canteen pouches I bought. They were just too big. The field line bags from Wally World work great. I keep my steps in one and linemans belt and tree rope in the other.
0c69c1002510cc1a9d2dcab7b35118df.jpg

(This was my aero before I got the Evo upgrade)

I have a few of those pouches too. I use them for everything but attaching to my saddle lol. They really are useful though.

I got two of these from ebay and they work perfect! I have one on each side and there is enough room to hold my rope, linemans belt, tree saw and screw in pegs for my platform. They have a cinch cord on the top to keep stuff from falling out. So far they are working out great!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221464803820?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

flinginairos said:
I got two of these from ebay and they work perfect! I have one on each side and there is enough room to hold my rope, linemans belt, tree saw and screw in pegs for my platform. They have a cinch cord on the top to keep stuff from falling out. So far they are working out great!

These look perfect. I had a different brand bookmarked but they were much more expensive. Going to order a few today!

d_rek said:
flinginairos said:

These look perfect. I had a different brand bookmarked but they were much more expensive. Going to order a few today!

I bought one to try it out and it worked so good I got another. I can fit my essentials in them and they aren't too big. Just the right size really.

putt4doe said:
I didn't like the size of the molle canteen pouches I bought. They were just too big. The field line bags from Wally World work great. I keep my steps in one and linemans belt and tree rope in the other.

bummer I just ordered 2 of the molle canteen pouches. The size seemed about right, but in person maybe not.

Just wanted to follow up and say those dump pouches are great! I got them at the end of last week and tried them out yesterday. I first had to wash them though because they had a strong plasticy-new material type odor. After a quick and a line dry they were ready to go. They are freaking perfect for the factory linemans belt and 6ft tree strap from new tribe. Super simple to use too. Definitely a great upgrade the saddle.

-Sent from d_mobile

I like the draw chord on the dump pouch, but I had already bought the canteen pouch, which is similar in size.
Dump pouch 8x6x3
Canteen 8.5x6.4x2
My tree line and lineman belt are made from same 7/16 rope, which is kinda stiff. One per pouch is what fits. Not as compact as the folded up belt style like the ambush. Also appears the aero hunter rope isn't as stiff either judging from the pics.

putt4doe said:

How is having the pouches so far back working for you? I am trying out one of the same pouches and I have it as far forward on my left hip as I can mount it, but I still feel it is too far back and I struggle to get around far enough to close it up easily.

d_rek said:
Just wanted to follow up and say those dump pouches are great! I got them at the end of last week and tried them out yesterday. I first had to wash them though because they had a strong plasticy-new material type odor. After a quick and a line dry they were ready to go. They are freaking perfect for the factory linemans belt and 6ft tree strap from new tribe. Super simple to use too. Definitely a great upgrade the saddle.

-Sent from d_mobile
I love them as well. Fits everything I need and nothing more. After I am set up I use them to stow different things to keep within easy reach. Can't beat the price too!

Sent from space

Back