• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting to know you thread

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
The past few years got pretty crazy in the saddle hunting world and I haven't been able to follow along daily as much as I like. Things seem to have started to slow down and I'm able to participate in the day to day a bit more again. Believe it or not for almost the first 5 years of this site I read every single post that ever went up. That isn't going to happen again, but there are a lot of names that I recognize but feel like I don't know enough about. Let's change that. I'll start.

I'm @redsquirrel. I'm from NJ and have lived here my whole life outside 2 years on Long Island for grad school. NJ gets a bad rap and we have a lot of outdoor activities at our disposal. I love hunting and fishing. Mostly saltwater but I'll dabble it in all. I've been going into the woods with my dad since I could walk. We did a ton of pheasant and quail hunting when I was a kid. When muzzeloader season came in we would bird hunt in the morning, do deer drives at midday and then put in an evening sit. As I reflect back it is kinda crazy to think how many hours I put in a treestand without a weapon before I could actually hunt. Once I started bowhunting I was hooked. I shot my first deer with a bow, a doe, when I was 13. One of the deer I'm the most proud of was my first bow buck which I shot when I was 17. I had only had my drivers license for a few months and I shot that deer, gutted it, dragged it out and threw it in the back of my blazer and was waiting for my dad when he got home from work. Prior to getting my driver's license I used to ride my bike over with my bow on my back to hunt after school and my mom would pick me up in the mini-van after dark. Fast forward to today and I'm 39 and still love it as much I as did then, if not more. I have certainly learned a lot since then and I'm a much more efficient hunter. Now I have 2 little girls, one turning 7 this week, the baby about to turn 8 months. I've had the big one out doing lots of outdoor activities and she enjoys much of it so I want to continue to nurture that. She has taken to fishing in particular right now which has caused me to spend a lot of money. Last year we started going out on the bay in our old 12 foot aluminum boat that I had been saving just for when she got old enough. My father sold his 18 foot center console 7 years ago so our fishing ability has been fairly limited since then. Well the time that we spent on that boat last year was priceless, but clearly a 12 foot aluminum boat wasn't big enough lol. So last fall I purchased a new 18 foot Parker center console which we put to good use this summer. It's also been great to get out in the boat with my father again. We don't hunt together at the same place much anymore but whenever we're hunting we are usually texting so it doesn't matter as much. Fishing is different cause we get to spent a little more quality time actually together and I'm looking forward to more of that with my dad and daughters as they grow.

I guess that's a quick rundown on me. Let's here you're story.

@CP3 here. I’m in my early 40s and live in South Arkansas. I grew up in north Arkansas and the two are very much different in terms of hunting. From the foothills of the Ozarks of hills and timber deer, to pine plantations and generally flatter land.

I’ve been bow hunting since my late teens and I’m still not “good” at it. I can kill deer, but I struggle to get a shot a mature bucks. I have one wall hanger taken with a rifle, and would love to add one taken with my bow. All but one of my kids have harvested a deer and we eat a lot of it.

Non-hunters genuinely don’t understand the generational impact hunting not only has on land and wildlife, but the family unit.

I’m a minister and the Gospel of Jesus is what we have given our lives to.

I’m only 2 seasons into saddle hunting, and this forum has been a great source of information and camaraderie.

I'm Kurt. I just turned 59 and I've been saddle hunting since 2018 (newb) I've hunted trapped and fished my whole life. I have 4 adult children in their 20s in various stages of employment that still keep me busy. I'm an Army veteran, I was a collegiate lumberjack, worked tree crews, and parlayed all that into doing eagle banding work for my Fish & Wildlife agency in MA. I'm currently an Aquatic biologist and the manager of a trout hatchery. God willing I'll retire in a couple of years and go on the road full time in an rv with my wife to see a lot more of this great country, and meet more of the wonderful people like I've found on this site.

I'm @TFNC. I'm from northeast Arkansas I have lived in this general area all my life. I'm 48 years old, have an adult daughter, three adult stepsons and a bulldog that is my best bud.
When i was a kid deer where scarce in this area, my dad and some of his friends started hunting down south Arkansas where the deer population was better and the gun season longer. I went on a few hunts early, but the bug never bit.
Later on, in my teenage years i got into duck hunting. Working for all the area farmers part time and the sport not being as commercialized. It was cheap easy and fun.
My late teen early twenties i gave up hunting all together and concentrated on being a hoodlum and outlaw. It was a not a time in my life that i am proud of, it was hard on my relationships with my family and friends. Long story short at 26 years old i pulled my head out of my butt and decided to be a dad to my newborn baby girl.
It was at this time i had the opportunity to fix my relationship with my dad and got into deer hunting. He only hunted with a gun, and usually from a blind. With limited time to hunt with a gun and craving more time outdoors i picked up bow hunting. It was also at this time that I realized I hate open tree stands. I was fine with a rail and was fine setting down but when I stood up and didnt have anything in my peripheral vison i got vertigo. I suffered through it, made it work, but dreaded getting up off the ground most hunts.
Then one fine day back in 2016 i stumbled up on to Saddlehunter.com. I thought hey this might be the answer to my problem. With little to no commercial availability back then i started a gear journey that has only recently settled down. I may not post a lot, but i visit this site most every day and feel like I know a lot of you folks like friends.
I hunt mostly alone, my dad passed away a few years ago, and being mostly introverted most of my hunting buddies are online now. Hopefully in the future one of the stepsons will decide to pick up hunting, but if not, I'll keep doing my thing and lurking Saddlehunter for my entertainment.

@elk yinzer aka Joe. Grew up in a few different locales around Western PA, but my roots are in the Butler area. I now live in central PA, near State College, with my wife and 3 kids. Daughters are 6 and 6 months, and my son is 4. I'm in my mid 30's and I'm a CPA with my own small practice I'm trying to grow. Aside from hunting and spending time with the kiddos, I enjoy fishing, cooking, and playing baseball and golf. There used to be more hobbies but kids and life have a way of making you prioritize haha.

I've been into hunting and fishing to a pretty obsessive degree as long as I can remember. Took after it from my dad, pap, uncles, and cousins. I gave up school sports to hunt and fish and even may have chosen it a time or two over partying and chasing girls. Grew up bowhunting the mixed farmlands of western PA, lots of public and some private too. We would rifle hunt of course when the times comes but live for bow season. I've always enjoyed squirrel, rabbit and grouse hunting also.

Many fond memories of my childhood growing up were just constantly roaming the woods behind my grandparents house, and also at our camp which was only about 15 minutes away for possibly the closest camp to civilization there is. It was all private, but just by being neighbors, we had permission to access a bunch of the adjoining properties. Heck we didn't even know where some of the property lines were. Just 15-20 years ago when I was a kid a lot more private was accessible like that, sadly most of that access is gone and we're now limited pretty much to our back 40 which feels super claustrophobic to me and I pretty much hate hunting back home anymore. Everyone now has "their" deer they grow with their own little cute foodplots. To them it's the good old days, there are some huge bucks taken, but the spirit of hunting is just dead to me there now.

So now I mostly chase ghosts in the public big woods. I went to PSU and learned a little about hunting the mountains when I was here as a student. My wife is a townie so when our first was on the way we decided to move back here. I'm glad we did and love most things about the area.

Fishing was also a huge part of growing up also we mostly fished Pymatuning and Arthur but other local lakes and the rivers also. As I got older we took a few charters on Erie, and then started taking our 16 footer out, then my dad eventually upgraded to a 20 footer that is a walleye slaying machine. These days I get out fishing when I can but it's less of a priority than hunting and most of my fishing is a few long weekends a year on Erie supplemented with some other stuff locally.

In a past life I got super into elk hunting for a few years thus my internet name, but with the kids it's been a few years since I made it a priority to head out west. Someday again, relatively soon I hope.

Jimdude from Sussex county NJ. 45 years old now. This is my 3rd season hunting and started with a saddle. I’ve gotten a buck each year with a crossbow but hopefully will get one with the compound this year “maybe tonight”. I am married without children and spend most of my time doing something hunting related like watching THP and others. I shoot my bow weekly from spring till it’s too cold and I start my scouting in July. I suck at turkey hunting but it’s when I do some of my best deer scouting. I used to trout fish a lot but not since I got the hunting bug.

Dmathews87 here in south east Louisiana. Grew up fishing and squirrel hunting, didnt get into deer hunting until later in life. 35 years old,married with a 4 year old daughter and another on the way in January (not finding out gender...wifes idea not mine). Work in IT and mostly can only hunt the occasional weekend. Public land here in SE LA is tough and seems i kill more time than deer but i enjoy my time in the woods...also willing to admit i am a way better fisherman than hunter lol. On the subject of fishing, i do it from a kayak in the marshes here catching speckled trout and redfish and its a blast!

I’m Chris, I’m 51 and live in SW MO near Springfield. I’ve been hunting since I was about 10, mostly in South Carolina where I grew up. I hunt pretty much anything that’s edible but prefer to shoot ducks. I’ve been archery hunting since the late 80’s and have seen a lot of change in the sport. I hunted with a clunky Ben Pearson compound out of a Warren and Sweat climber for lots of years. Frankly, looking back, it’s amazing that I survived. I work now as a respiratory therapist but have spent time as a sheriffs deputy and even lived in China for a short time. Lately I’ve been taking my kids hunting and fishing as much as I possibly can. There both in high school and I realize I don’t have a lot of time left with them. For the last eight years I’ve volunteered with a non profit that takes veterans on outdoor recreational activities. I’ve hunted with dozens of men and women that have served in the military, mostly for deer and ducks. As much as I love being alone in the woods I wouldn’t trade the time I’ve spent with those hero’s for anything.

Shayne here, 44, prior Corpsman with the Marine Corps, married with two kids 11 and 7. I was born and raised on the Kenai Peninsula in Kenai, Alaska. Grew up small game hunting (rabbits and ptarmigan mostly) with my cousins and then as we got older larger game like moose and because my cousins are native Alaskans walrus, whale and such. Spent most of my life outdoors ascending or descending one mountain or another and camping, hiking, fishing, 4 wheeling, attending powwows, etc. I always intended to return home but the Good Lord had other plans and somewhere along the way I got married and now call Virginia my home. I stopped hunting while on active duty cuz I spent 90% of my time overseas but I started right back up when I got here to Virginia. A buddy of mine talked me in to bow hunting and I never looked back. To me bow hunting is much more sporting and challenging.
It was a steep learning curve for me as we all know whitetails are a ruthless headmaster and broker no foolishness or mistakes. I still suck at it but get lucky occasionally. I happened to make friends with another vet from GA whole introduced me to hunting from trees which I initially thought was foolishness but have since grown to love. What I didn’t love was humping that climber around the woods and thus began my search for something, anything lighter which landed me on a RCH and then a saddle. I hunt a livestock farm and the cattle and goats are always on the move which means I often have to move my set, a feat which quickly came old with a climber but with a saddle is much easier and quieter. My kids are starting to show interest in getting in to the woods so I’m looking forward to passing down my knowledge to hopefully a new generation of outdoorsman and women.

DooleyVT... I grew up in central Massachusetts. I was married with no kids and worked as an electrician for the majority of my adult life. I went deer and bird hunting a few times with my dad between the ages of 14 and 18 in Massachusetts but it was never really was my thing. I bought a small getaway camp in central Vermont in 2012 and fell in love with the area and the outdoors. I moved to the house in Vermont in 2014 after getting divorced at the age of 42. I currently work as a facilities supervisor and have an electrical masters license at a small rural Vermont hospital. A friend from work took me turkey hunting for the first time ever and was able to shoot my first tom with a shotgun that I borrowed from a lady at work in the spring of 2016. I bought my first rifle in the summer of 2016 went deer hunting for the first time since I was a teenager that fall. I shot my first deer (7 point buck) ever with that rifle in the fall of 2017 at the age of 45. I bought my first bow in the spring of 2018 and shot my first deer (mule deer buck) with a bow in the fall of 2019 in western South Dakota with the same friend who took me turkey hunting for the first time. I began saddle hunting in 2021 and shot my first deer (doe) from a saddle in Rhode Island last fall at the age of 49. I was lucky enough to harvest 4 deer and a couple turkeys in 2021. I have a beautiful girlfriend who helps feed my love for the outdoors. She got me a lease in Southern Ohio with her brother-in-law for my 50th birthday. Hunting has certainly helped shape my life recently and has helped me to learn a lot about myself and appreciate the things around me. It has made me stronger and more driven to succeed in every aspect of my life and has helped me appreciate the things I have. I bow hunted with my 72 year old father this past weekend and we had a really great time here at "deer camp". Hunting has definitely brought us closer together. He unfortunately missed a 6 point buck on the neighbors farm yesterday afternoon with his crossbow which will keep him coming back for more. OP thanks for asking.

Last edited:
I'm Cody.

I am 34 and lived in Northwestern Pennsylvania my whole life. I recently got engaged to my GF of 6 years. Never married, no kids (IDK how lol) I'm a Plant Quality Manager at a 200 employee machining and assembly plant for a large corporation. I was previously a quality engineer here for 9 years. I went to Clarion University. I have hunted my whole life, started saddle hunting in 2018. I go elk hunting every September with a group of 3 close friends. I've only killed 1 elk (and with a bow). Last years was the first year in 13 years that I did not get to tag a buck in PA (one-lunged a nice buck that I never found.. first time for me in archery). I also like playing with and building/restoring drag cars/boats/jet ski's when I am not hunting. I also enjoy reloading and the whole process of load workup. Undoubtedly my education and background statistics plays into that hobby.

I own a small side business (LLC) making 3d printed trail cam mounts that use a ballhead to aim them (as a lot of you know). I also do some design work (Fusion 360) and custom boat/car/jet ski parts on the side.

I'm Jason.

I've lived in SE Michigan for all but 6 months of my life, during which I attended film school in Chicago. I'm 40 this year, married, with an adult son and teen daughter. I spent 10 years delivering appliances and other goods for a big box home improvement store (I published a book about it!), and then after needing knee surgery I transitioned to my current career in the mortgage industry for one of the largest lenders. Been here going on 7 years. I moved last year from the suburbs to a rural area, so now I look at wildlife and nature instead of neighbors, buildings, and traffic, and I couldn't be happier. I do a ton of different stuff for hobbies besides hunting. I host a podcast, I've written and self published a book (working on some new ones), I build custom tables and also do wood burning art. I game on PS5/4 and have moderately ridiculous PC setup. And I also now love to fish, which started with fly fishing and has moved into fishing from my boat or my kayak too.

I hunted between the ages of 10-13, I had a step dad at the time that was an avid hunter. I had a lot of fun shooting archery, bb guns, and skeet. I never harvested any game during those years, and once he and my mom split that ended my hunting career. I went on to have my son in my early twenties and hunting was the furthest thing from my mind. Around 26 my uncle, the most huntingest man I know, gifted me a PSE Polaris compound bow for helping him re-roof my grandmas garage. It reignited my interest in archery and hunting. I've been hunting ever since, but I haven't been that successful since I was always waiting for a big trophy buck for my first deer. I got a black bear before I ever got my first deer, which was 2 years ago when I finally wanted the meat more than the trophy. I love hunting for Turkey, small game, duck, and deer. I'd like to one day not need to rely on the grocery store for meat, but provide all of my own from game. I love being out in the woods, and the challenge that each type of hunting presents.

I got into Saddles in 2019, after seeing a THP video and wondering what the hell the ropes were I kept seeing in shots. That led me here. I used to use a climber...first a big heavy gorilla stand climber, and then a Summit Viper. I always hated how big and cumbersome they were, and not matter what I could never get them set up and climb in them quietly. I've had a couple sketchy moments in them too, so the switch to a saddle just seemed logical. Been saddle hunting ever since, and can admit it's not the end all be all neither, still it beats hauling a climber to me! Everyone on this site has been great, both supportive and critical when people post new ideas and new methods for doing things. Its one of the few sites I visit daily, especially during hunting season!

Let's see...

According to the web, I'm 43 though I haven't known my actual age in years. My mind and body are also at odds with themselves as what I think I can do is different than what I can do. Due to autoimmune conditions from the military or otherwise, my heart and lungs are my biggest limiting factor to hunting. It's quite annoying that I can feel like I can do anything but simply pulling a game cart wipes me out.

That said, I get my greatest joy of "rediscovering" the lost arts. Think of it as a blue/white color, suburban John Townsend. On that note, if you've never heard of him, web search 18th century cooking/John Townsend as he's got alot of videos and here's his website: https://www.townsends.us/

Getting back to the "lost arts", hunting is one of them. To be honest, venison isn't my favorite meat but what I've learned hunting deer translates to other animals. For example, I do all my own butchering and refuse to have anyone else do it. This is partly due to costs but largely due to the pride in knowing that my hands are the only ones that touch that meat from hoof to table. What I've learned hunting deer has translated to the butchering of hogs in the same manner.

That same cheapskate/personal pride translates to other things as well. I could buy amsteel daisy's but knowing other people make them means I can do it too. Same with sewing. What I sew will never be seen in a store but it's well enough to work. In short, my stubbornness allows me to persevere when I otherwise should quit and accept failure.

I've tried to instill this on my kids who'll be flying the nest in short order. My autoimmune may drop me tomorrow or I may outlive everyone else but my personality, my willingness to shrug off the bad and grind through to the end is something I hope I've passed on to them.

Last edited:
I'm Randy:
I am 74 years old. My father made me an Osage Orange bow when I was 8. I bought a used Pearson recurve in 1965 and began bow hunting. I had a lot to learn and didn't kill my first doe until 1971. I have two sons and two daughters and the years flew by with school events, family fishing, and getting the boys started hunting. I worked as a Tool and Die Maker in a bearing factory for 46 years and Volunteer Firefighter for 32 years with 18 years as Asst. Chief and 10 years as Chief. I am still on the Rescue Squad with over 40 years. I found some time to bow and shotgun hunt and became better at it as the years went on. I retired in 2014 and my Brother in Law and good friend I have hunted with since the 1970's has a farm he allows me to hunt. I have taken quite a few bucks but no records. We love the meat and I've gravitated towards doe in the 100 plus pound range for the last decade or so. I also take small bucks with poor racks to help the gene pool of the farm. I went to compounds in the 80's, crossbow for a bit with shoulder problems, and back to the recurves a few years ago. I had a Wing Hunter in the 70's and found another last year. Also have a Thunderbird and Hawk. I really enjoy bow hunting and reading all of your stories and opinions. Have a Great Season!

Dsabhunt. Born and raised in Southern mn. 35, been chasing tail of some form since I was 12. Started hunting the gun season with my dad. Shot my first deer when I was 20. When i was 25 I bought a bow and never looked back.
Picked up turkey hunting with a bow and pheasant hunting with my goldendoodle Eva. Wife wanted a doodle and I figured she'd hunt. I was right. I've always fished and picked up ice fishing in my 20s which is now my favorite way to fish.
I have a wife and a 3 year old daughter that likes to look, touch and eat all the dead critters I bring home. I hope I can get her to hunt and fish with me as those are the most fond memories I have of time with my dad and my uncle.
Last year was my first year saddle hunting and boy did I dive down the rabbit hole ha. But it's IMO the best way to hunt public land which is pretty much all I hunt

I’m Mark, I’m 33 years old and born and raised in NY. I enjoy fishing, hunting, the occasional video game and brewing/drinking craft beer. I have a girlfriend of almost 4 years now, she takes good care of me. I got into saddle hunting in the fall of 2017 and found this site around then or the following year? I’m self employed and co-own a tattoo studio with my buddy Jamie. “Black Royale Tattoo Studio” If you like tattoos, or want to see my work, you can check out “Mark Schmeiske” on Instagram, or add me on Facebook. I can’t wait to hear more about some of you! I don’t have too many friends who hunt, so I frequent this place to get my kicks and learn a thing or two!

Mike, 47, born and raised in N MS, spent 3 years in the Army, moved to IN 10 years ago, been hunting and fishing since I was knee high to a grasshopper, after 20+ years in a climber I finally got into a saddle last year and have enjoyed every minute of it, married with 7 kids and 4 grandkids, I enjoy reading the stories and learning from everyone on here and rarely throw my 2 cents in (I was always told you get what you pay for), happy hunting to everyone and God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, my name is Chris. I decided on the name wolverinebuckman when I joined the hunting beast forum a few years back because 1) I am a lifelong Michigan Wolverine fan, ever since I was born at the hospital on campus 47 years ago (pretty sure the doctor slapped my ass and said Go Blue!) 2) bucks get my blood pumping in a way does don't. And 3) i'm a man...

I was born and raised in Monroe, Michigan, and up until we moved to Kentucky three years ago, I'd spent my entire life (minus 2 years for college and a job) in southeast Michigan.
The wife and I decided 3 years ago to change scenery and moved to Southern Kentucky, on the edge of the Daniel Boone National Forest. Went from City Life to 25 acres in the middle of nowhere, raising goats and chickens.

I started having kids early, my oldest boy coming when I was 20. I have three older children, two boys and a girl aged 27 to 23. My oldest son has my first granddaughter, and will be having my first grandson coming along any day. My daughter also has a daughter, so the new baby will make three.

About a dozen years ago the wife and I decided we wanted more kiddos, and in 2014 the Lord blessed us with two boys in foster care. The oldest was 17 months old when he came to live with us, and we got to bring the baby home from the hospital at 3 days old. Along the way another little girl (2yo) came into our care. In 2018 we adopted all three of them. 3 days after the girl's adoption was final, her biological mom gave birth to another little boy whom we adopted. And then after living down here for over a year, she gave birth to another little boy and asked us to take him in. So that makes five kids that we have under the age of 10 now!

I've always loved shooting a bow. Back when I was 12 my uncle tried to get me into deer hunting, but his drunkenness (and tendency to poach) really became an issue for me, and I didn't want to be out with him. I only hunted the one year and then gave it up.
Around the age 38 I decided to get back into hunting. Managed to get my first (and only to date) deer in 2017.

I have spent most of my adult life working with my hands. Many years in apartment maintenance, as well as a decade in the maintenance department at a children's hospital, and then several years with my own handyman business. Currently I work at a tractor supply, where I assemble everything that comes into the store from mowers to furniture.

Back