• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

GPS management for mac

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good GPS/mapping management program for mac? Free or paid, I am just looking for something that works well. I am currently using basecamp but I'm not thrilled with it and feel like there must be something better.

Did you purchase the birdseye? I got it the other day. Not bad. Base camp is the only thing Ive found to run my unit to satisfaction. I'm trying to find an interface where I can communicate with Arcview with my garmin. That would set me straight. But I don't use a mac so I'm not sure what other options are out there.

I haven't used birdseye but I just looked at it and maybe I'll give it a shot. I've been using google earth on my phone but it used to be a lot better and now its a pain to pin point where you are. I have ArcGIS for my phone and I want to try that some more. The desktop version is $1500 it looks like, I guess you have that through work?

My biggest problem with basecamp is data management. When I used garmin mapsource I liked how I could save different sets of data in completely different files, although mapsource had its limitations too. I find it difficult to sort through and organize different sets of data in basecamp. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for but I think if they combined basecamp and mapsource it would be heading in the right direction for me.

Scott I have found that is one area that is severely lacking for the Mac's I have been searching for a solution since I got my first Mac back in 2007 and so far I haven't found anything that gives you the power or versatility of the Windows based programs. I use both Google Earth and Base Camp like you do but haven't tried Birdseye since I no longer own a Garmin GPS although according to their website it is Mac compatible. I have owned one Mac version of mapping software MacGPS Pro and spent about 140 bucks between maps and the program itself and it reminded me of my first Windows based program back in 1997. You had to open files rather than zooming in from a base map and if went wanted to zoom out you had to leave that file and open the base map it didn't flow smoothly at all. You were also limited to basic symbols to mark waypoints so you had to be very cryptic in your descriptions because you didn't have enough unique symbols to break down the waypoints by symbol.

I have owned a lot of mapping programs over the years but the vast majority of them were Windows based starting with Hanta Yo, Delorme Topo Quads, Topo!, Nat Geo Topo!, Garmin Topo 2008, Topo USA versions, 7, 8, Mac GPS Pro, and currently Topo USA 9. I still keep a Windows machine in the basement to run Topo USA 9 and that is what I currently using but I plan on putting Parallels or Fusion on my Mac running Topo USA 10 from Delorme when I redo my MacBook Pro, which is what most of the mapping software companies recommend using or Boot Camp, but then you have to reboot to get into Windows. I haven't upgraded yet I was holding out that they would port it over or make a Mac version but so far no such luck in that department.

If I come across a viable solution that offers you both power and versatility I will let you know but so far I haven't run across anything that is close to what the Windows based software has available to it's users.

Roger

Stykbow1 said:
I have owned a lot of mapping programs over the years but the vast majority of them were Windows based starting with Hanta Yo, Delorme Topo Quads, Topo!, Nat Geo Topo!, Garmin Topo 2008, Topo USA versions, 7, 8, Mac GPS Pro, and currently Topo USA 9. I still keep a Windows machine in the basement to run Topo USA 9 and that is what I currently using but I plan on putting Parallels or Fusion on my Mac running Topo USA 10 from Delorme when I redo my MacBook Pro, which is what most of the mapping software companies recommend using or Boot Camp, but then you have to reboot to get into Windows. I haven't upgraded yet I was holding out that they would port it over or make a Mac version but so far no such luck in that department.

Roger

Mac user here. You can get a program called 'Parallels' which is kind of similar to Boot Camp, but doesn't require you to reboot your machine each time. It runs windows side by side to mac osx. We use it all the time at work for testing mac builds of different internally developed software. You will, occasionally, run into compatibility issues with applications requiring specific types of rendering - namely anything that uses OpenGL will instead use VirtualGL, which is not always current with the latest versions of OpenGL.

Check it out. It might help you guys out with your GPS issue: http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

On a side note, what GPS units are you guys using? I've been thinking about picking one up for a while now. I literally have zero experience using a stand-alone GPS device, and don't really have any idea where to start.

Thanks for the info guys. I have parallels and before I started using basecamp I was using garmin mapsource on parallels. I may have to go back to running a windows program in parallels.

Roger you would recommend Topo USA 9?

d_rek, I am currently using a garmin oregon 450. I previously had a garmin 60csx. I wish I had a unit that blended the 2. The 60csx didn't hold enough memory for me for maps/tracks/waypoints. Since upgrading to the oregon 450 that problem is solved and the gps is way more accurate. I'm not a huge fan of having only the touch screen though. I have already broken the screen once and I am lucky it was when I was back at the truck. Replacing it was a PITA, had to order from china and follow a youtube video. Lots of tiny spaces to get into that made it tough. I ordered another screen to have as a backup in case it happens again.

D rek as you pointed out VM's do have there drawbacks and limitations which is why back when I wanted to run windows I used boot camp because at the time many of the VM's had compatibility issues with certain programs and hardware, they worked but as you mentioned Open Gl was virtualized, that's why some games had issues and even some mapping programs did as well. I found that boot camp was a better option at the time because not only did it work flawlessly but the system resources like ram and processing didn't take a hit due to having both OS's running at the same time. I wouldn't use the newest version of boot camp because you have to run Windows 8.1 with it and I despise Windows 8 so if I wanted to run Windows this time around I would definitely try Parallels, Fusion, or Virtual Box.

RS as for Topo 9 I really like the program and think it is one of the most powerful and versatile mapping programs for non professionals, however, it also has a steep learning curve and has a different way of importing GPS data into the program than most of the other mapping programs. I also like the fact that they use layers sort of like photo shop which allows you with just a click of a button to remove or add data to your map. Say for example you have added a bunch of waypoints, tracks, and routes to your map but you realize with all that stuff the map is too cluttered and you can't see the contour lines or pinch points as easily, you just uncheck the layer and viola your map is back with just the waypoints, then you can put it back by rechecking the layer again. Now that Topo USA 10 is out I would opt for that especially since you get a year of the free map subscription that lets you download aerial photos, Topo Quads, and other enhanced map data included. If you go to the Delorme forums you can ask questions and power users and Delorme staff will answer any questions you might have, you can also see some of what people are using the software to create.

D rek I have owned and used Magellan, Trimble, Lowrance, Garmin, and Delorme GPS's I'm currently using a Delorme PN-60W and I really like it but wish I had a larger screen but otherwise I think it is an excellent unit, fast, powerful, and plenty of storage. Some of the newer Garmin's have really nice screens but the units are heavy and they are touch screen and I find them not the best fit for a hunting situation. The Garmin 64CSX is a really good unit and it's not touch screen and I think they increased the memory capacity over the orginal 60 series, so that shouldn't be an issue anymore. If you go to some of the GPS review sites make sure that they are geared toward hunting not geocaching because many of the sites reviews are based on the needs of geocachers not hunters.

Hope this helps, Roger

Great info Roger, Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
No problem Scott I'm just glad I could help over the years I've spent a ton of money on GPS units and mapping software and if I can save someone some time and money I'm more than happy to offer some hard learned knowledge. I can remember running around the woods with my Magellan TrailBlazer XL trying to get a fix and then hoping that with SA it wouldn't be to far off from the actual spot!

Then going home and trying to mark the waypoint on the map only to realize that it's showing the location as somewhere in the middle of the trail when I was 30 or 40 yards in the woods or in worse case scenario even further! Things have come a long way since the dark ages of GPS and mapping software first came on the scene.

Happy navigating,

Roger

If you are looking at ArcGIS try QGIS it is open source for both mac and windows. It can do alot and is overkill for most folks but you can do some serious mapping with it if that is your thing, i love maps. I used it alot before my agency installed ArcGIS on my work computer. SARtopo is another good choice and has simpler user interface. Both paired with Avenza Maps on the phone and you can make custom offline maps or just print paper maps off. I personnally like to have a satellite basemap with Lidar contours and property lines layered on top for hunting so you see ground cover and topography all in one.

Derek, what would you recommend for windows based mapping applications? GPS and software

Back