• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gunning in the saddle

LASOutdoorsmen

Sep 2, 2014
Most of us use have a small platform, so how are yall handling recoil with the saddle?
Season opener is Saturday and I'm not sure if I can handle a 3 1/2" buckshot load with my feet on one inch wide pegs. I'm imagining myself now being swung around the tree.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Re: Gunning in the saddle

LOL. I haven't shot 3 1/2" shells out of the saddle... but recoil is a non issue. I would say its the same as shooting on the ground. Make sure you have solid points of contact and good form and fire away.

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
Feb 28, 2014
Utah
YOUTUBE
UCfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ

I took both of these last year. You don't "spin" around the tree wildly. You will move some, just keep that in mind when you go to shoot. Shot the little buck from a Evolution prototype, thats they you don't see the seat ;)

I shot this little doe at about 18 yards. At about 8'o clock. Had to get that long flintlock over the bridge.

Shot this little guy with 3" buck, he was aroun 4-5 o'clock. I expected the recoil to kick my skinny but around the tree like a teether ball. But it didn't, I came off target a little bit but it wasn't no where near what I expected.

Thanks,
Boswell

Attachments

• Flintlock Doe Saddlehunter.jpg
    Flintlock Doe Saddlehunter.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 700
  • Shotgun.jpg
    Shotgun.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 700

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com

I love that first pic Boswell!

I guess I have a little more weighting me down than you guys :lol: :lol:

wes k

Nov 8, 2014
IL

Nice to see a fellow flintlock shooter on here. I'm headed out in 1 week using my new to me .62 smoothbore.

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
Feb 28, 2014
Utah
YOUTUBE
UCfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ

I typically use my bow most of the time. Modern gun opens here tomorrow. So I might load up the lock and head out with it. Think I am going to try a shorter bridge and lower tree strap when using a gun this year.

Thanks,
Boswell

LASOutdoorsmen

Sep 2, 2014

Decided to not take a chance with the strap on steps. I'm going with the assassin platform.
008c014295e198dcff8a2341784ba433.jpg

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014

I took a shot at a doe from my saddle on Monday but only managed to kill a branch however I did manage to get one doe only not when I was up in my saddle. All in all I had a great week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014

The shot was with my .308. The saddle worked great and I was able to use the bridge to stabilize the shot.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com

Congrats on the doe fawnzy!! :D

fawnzy

Jul 4, 2014

0a21f7640a8572a8dfe350d464435ee8.jpg

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014

Back in my gun days I took a lot of deer out of the Treesling and the cool thing is if you use it right you can use the tree trunk as a hard rest. Just turn until your into position to rest the gun against the trunk. Much more accurate than off hand to the side. Recoil is a non factor.

LASOutdoorsmen

Sep 2, 2014

John Eberhart said:
Back in my gun days I took a lot of deer out of the Treesling and the cool thing is if you use it right you can use the tree trunk as a hard rest. Just turn until your into position to rest the gun against the trunk. Much more accurate than off hand to the side. Recoil is a non factor.
Sounds good. I'll have to try it. I "harvested" my first deer out the saddle last Saturday.
c7707a05431e70e1edc8181dfbe5490c.jpg
, but I don't think it counts because I was using my LW hang on stand. I used the saddle as a safety harness .
The saddle has cost me one deer this season and another because I made a bad shot on a doe.
I'm still learning the footwork.

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
Apr 1, 2014

Congrats and I suggest playing with the saddle system during the off season to work it out. Once you get used to it (if it's hooked up correctly), you'll love it. Hook up and step placement is key.

By the way, love the camo

LASOutdoorsmen

Sep 2, 2014

John Eberhart said:
Congrats and I suggest playing with the saddle system during the off season to work it out. Once you get used to it (if it's hooked up correctly), you'll love it. Hook up and step placement is key.

By the way, love the camo
Yeah I bought my first saddle a month before the bow opener, so didn't have much time to practice. When I did practice, it was only for footwork. I love it and I don't see myself going to any other type of stand hunting.
The camo is from Scent-lok and it is second to none. I don't hunt without it.