• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hello from Northern Virginia

donnieballgame

New to the site, new to bow hunting, trying to decide what type of tree stand to get. Summit Viper or a tree saddle. If I do go saddle which one? Aero or Guido? Then there's the platform and climbing discussion........ Curious what folks here think, but I have some assumptions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Except, if I'm gonna ultimately end up with an Aero I'd rather save the money! I've got a few friend that have both recommended the Summit products, but I really like the Saddle, it's safe, pretty simple, and I can go wherever and just climb up and I'm good. Just hoping to do a little research now and prevent having to buy both, although I'd love to, I need to space it out so the wife doesn't get too mad, lol!

I think they are both great In the right situation. You wouldn't play a round of golf with only one club would you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Except, if I'm gonna ultimately end up with an Aero I'd rather save the money! I've got a few friend that have both recommended the Summit products, but I really like the Saddle, it's safe, pretty simple, and I can go wherever and just climb up and I'm good. Just hoping to do a little research now and prevent having to buy both, although I'd love to, I need to space it out so the wife doesn't get too mad, lol!
People who haven't hunted out of a saddle are going to recommend the summit to you because they don't know any better. In all seriousness you should buy an aero hunter and never look back. If you end up not liking it you can sell it on here easily. If anything wait to see the new version that comes out hopefully later this summer, but either way you would be in good shape.

I agree with @Erniepower that you can never have enough tools for the job, but in this case, IMO once you are set in a saddle there is no reason to hunt out of a tree stand ever again.

I think they are both great In the right situation. You wouldn't play a round of golf with only one club would you?

Good point, but I already have a full set of golf clubs, lol. If I had to choose just one for this season which way should I go? Honestly, the saddle and climbing system will probably be more expensive. So def Aero over Guido?

I think if I had to choose, I would pick the aero. It's more lighter, less bulky, and easier to climb with. A good platform makes all the difference with the aero since you will most likely be leaning more than sitting.

I would go with an aero hunter. I think its the best commercially made saddle on the market. It is safe and well constructed. I am a sitter, I rarely lean and I use steps with my aero hunter.

I would go with an aero hunter. I think its the best commercially made saddle on the market. It is safe and well constructed. I am a sitter, I rarely lean and I use steps with my aero hunter.

@redsquirrel
Do you sit nuts to bark or do you put both your legs to the side like demonstrated on the sitdrag site?

@redsquirrel
Do you sit nuts to bark or do you put both your legs to the side like demonstrated on the sitdrag site?
Nuts to bark. More often knees on the tree, that's why knee pads are so important to me. I adjust my tether so that my knees are just above a 90 degree angle, I find this helps to distribute the weight between my saddle and legs more evenly. Very rarely if ever do I sit side saddle.

I've been thinking of using an extra xop seat pad on the tree and trying it that way. I think flingin mentioned using the pad that way. I got a few of them laying around from when XOP used to send them with their seat platform. I may have to sew an additional strap on it to keep it into place. The first aero i had, I think was the wrong size, so I am excited to try it out again.That and a set of ameristeps would sure be lighter than the metal platforms.

The sickness is returning....
its been a while since season closed, and I'm feeling the itch to start tinkering again.

I've been thinking of using an extra xop seat pad on the tree and trying it that way. I think flingin mentioned using the pad that way. I got a few of them laying around from when XOP used to send them with their seat platform. I may have to sew an additional strap on it to keep it into place. The first aero i had, I think was the wrong size, so I am excited to try it out again.That and a set of ameristeps would sure be lighter than the metal platforms.

The sickness is returning....
its been a while since season closed, and I'm feeling the itch to start tinkering again.
Yes, flingin was using the pad exactly like that.

Get that aero dialed in and I think you'll love it.

The platforms look great, but I just can't see myself ever actually carrying it in with me.

yeah, i hunted out of an assassin last year one time. that thing is ridiculous. the way it cams over and attaches to the tree is nice, but that thing is a boat anchor. way too much to take into the woods. I just can't bring myself to sell it since I may want it one day....

What do you guy use to climb? Climbing sticks? Seems like more crap to carry, also everyone uses ameristeps which ofc I can't get lol. I was thinking about the 2 rope method or one stick with a climbing aide.

What do you guy use to climb? Climbing sticks? Seems like more crap to carry, also everyone uses ameristeps which ofc I can't get lol. I was thinking about the 2 rope method or one stick with a climbing aide.

If you can use spurs a lot of use have switched to them. If you can't, to date the best mobile service up I have is 3 sticks with a single aider on each and a few extra cranford rope steps if I need a little more height. Any more sticks than that gets to be too much IMO.

What part of nova are you in? Im in Maryland within 30 mins of Tysons bought an aero hunter earlier this year if you want to meet up and check it out let me know. Still new to saddle hunting but I did drag a climber through the woods for a few years before finding the light

Sold my viper.........Guidos Web took its plce on the wall.......now that's a trophy to have on the wall.
Oh, right beside the web is my Sit drag, in place of my millennium lock on.
Hope that helps with your decision.

Back