• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hip pinching

okccj

Oct 11, 2016
I noticed a bit of hip pinching in my kestrel last night. Could a too short bridge cause this? Should I lengthen it a bit? Whats about the max bridge length without causing other issues?

Boudreaux

Vendor Rep
Feb 28, 2014
Utah
YOUTUBE
UCfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ
Yes, Bridge length effects hip pinch. You can also try adjust your tree strap height first, before adjusting your bridge. Bridge length is all personal.

Thanks,
Boswell

Reactions: noxninja

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
Your can end up chasing your tail a little bit because the tether height and bridge length interact.
I just find something that is pretty comfortable and then adjust my sitting/standing angle slowly during the hunt to avoid “hot spots”

HardBall

Sep 1, 2017
I've never sat in a saddle so I don't know...just thinking out load here.

In hammock hanging there exists a similar problem called shoulder squeeze. It is reduced by hanging the anchors at approximately 30 degrees. It also reduces a lot of stress on the anchors and fabric. I suspect finding the right tether angle plays a critical role in this problem as well.

Reactions: kelly.jayp

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I noticed a bit of hip pinching in my kestrel last night. Could a too short bridge cause this? Should I lengthen it a bit? Whats about the max bridge length without causing other issues?
Most likely your bridge length. I have been using a 24" fixed bridge for a while now. Last week I decided to put an adjustable bridge on my kestrel to see if anything worked better. Longer bridges are no problem but the limit my rotation around the tree. I went to a really short bridge and let it out until I found consistent comfort. I got home and measured it and it was exactly 24". I am back to a fixed 24" bridge lol.

Reactions: HardBall

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
I've never sat in a saddle so I don't know...just thinking out load here.

In hammock hanging there exists a similar problem called shoulder squeeze. It is reduced by hanging the anchors at approximately 30 degrees. It also reduces a lot of stress on the anchors and fabric. I suspect finding the right tether angle plays a critical role in this problem as well.
Excellent Point.

I think that's why most guys go with a the eye/forehead height tie in. It seems to be the proper angle.
Most likely your bridge length. I have been using a 24" fixed bridge for a while now. Last week I decided to put an adjustable bridge on my kestrel to see if anything worked better. Longer bridges are no problem but the limit my rotation around the tree. I went to a really short bridge and let it out until I found consistent comfort. I got home and measured it and it was exactly 24". I am back to a fixed 24" bridge lol.

NICE!

Reactions: HardBall

DwadeCham

Feb 23, 2016
Excellent Point.

I think that's why most guys go with a the eye/forehead height tie in. It seems to be the proper angle.

NICE!
When you mean eye to forehead height is that sitting/leaning/or standing? May be a dumb question but something I wondered yesterday. Was really comfortable yesterday with my Ernie platform and ropeman but I was only in the tree about 2 hours.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
When you mean eye to forehead height is that sitting/leaning/or standing? May be a dumb question but something I wondered yesterday. Was really comfortable yesterday with my Ernie platform and ropeman but I was only in the tree about 2 hours.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
He means when you are standing when you set the tether. It will be much higher than your forehead after you sit in your saddle.

Reactions: DwadeCham

Gusarch

Oct 12, 2017
Newville, PA
I have never been in a saddle, have one on order. I usually shoot a longbow or recurve in the 60" variety. Does the length of the bridge seem to have much effect on your ability to draw your bow. Is it better to get down to a single tether rather quickly vs having both sides of the bridge? I'm thinking of hitting things with my elbow. Again, I've never been in one, so maybe there's not an issue either way. In that case, is Bridge length simply whats comfortable on your hips?

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
Oct 3, 2014
Savannah, GA
FACEBOOK
g2outdoors
TWITTER
g2outdoors
YOUTUBE
G2Adventures
There are some trad guys on the forum that can speak to your first question.

Regarding bridge length, I would say 90% of Saddle Hunter prefer a 22"-30" bridge with most guys settling on a 24" length.

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
I have never been in a saddle, have one on order. I usually shoot a longbow or recurve in the 60" variety. Does the length of the bridge seem to have much effect on your ability to draw your bow. Is it better to get down to a single tether rather quickly vs having both sides of the bridge? I'm thinking of hitting things with my elbow. Again, I've never been in one, so maybe there's not an issue either way. In that case, is Bridge length simply whats comfortable on your hips?
Generally a longer bridge will be more prone to interfere with drawing your bow. You will have to experiment with what works for you. I go as with as short of a bridge as I can and still be comfortable. In addition to that reason, I would rather have more room on my tether than the bridge because it will allow me to move around the tree easier.

swampsnyper

Mar 10, 2015
Warrior, Al

Boudreaux has some videos shooting his long bow with a long bridge. It will give you something to look at. I never had interference issues shooting my trad bows. It's not like you will be shooting standing straight up and down. You will be leaning out and therefore your bridge will be angling away from you giving you plenty room.

Reactions: Bigterp

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
You CAN shoot with a long bridge, but it limits your options. The longer bridge hits your drawing arm more often and just have to position your body differently

IkemanTX

Oct 16, 2015
I find (as a leaner) that tether height contributes more to my hip punch than bridge length.
Between eye level and upper lip level seems to be the most common leaner tether location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsomedude

Sep 10, 2014
Nashville, TN
I find (as a leaner) that tether height contributes more to my hip punch than bridge length.
Between eye level and upper lip level seems to be the most common leaner tether location.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But keep in mind that you can't run the tether that low if your bridge is long and/or you have a long prusik or blake's hitch and a large carabiner.....

Duserock

Oct 1, 2017

Did you try loosening the waist belt and sliding the Kestrel down on your butt more. After I’m strapped in it’s the first thing I do. Much more comfortable!

Reactions: redsquirrel